Roughly, five years ago social media was considered the way to stay connected with families and friends around the world. Social media tools such as Facebook and LinkedIn have grown rapidly throughout the years and can no longer be seen as a means to socialize. Social media is a platform that is not only used in every day as part of people’s personal lives, but many global businesses are beginning to use it. However, some businesses still view social media as a distraction, and they are skeptical as social media slowly moves into the workplace. Therefore, social media like Facebook and LinkedIn should be utilized in the workplace because they will provide an easy solution to develop workplace learning, can be used for employee engagement, and they will increase productivity.
As we know today, social media are widely utilized as a tool for online learning. Since online schooling is no longer the only thing being affected by using social media tools, today, businesses are also reaching out to social media sites like Instagram and Facebook as a means to enhance their employees learning capacity. For instance, some businesses are turning to sites like YouTube to learn new ideas about how new systems or programs may help their businesses be more successful. These social media sites are filled with “wonderful footage on every subject you can ever imagine” (Hart, 2015). Businesses can create step by step videos to help employees perform their job better, or even to teach customers how to use their product. While social sites like Facebook are tools used for communication and collaborative working that can help businesses and employees stay connected to potential customers around the world. Social media networks today are not just abo...
... middle of paper ...
...ndicates in a variety of global companies of informational workers whose companies provided Facebook access experience a 1.5 percent drop in employee productivity. All the same, with every new tool implemented into the workplace, there are risks and social media is no different. Companies that restrict social networking today have very few statistics that back their determination. Therefore, there is no question today that most organizations use social media as a collaboration tools for employees to collect data through internal and external communications. However, it is all about how an organization will deal with these changes, and the way they utilize social media in the workplace that will have an impact on learning and engaging employee interaction that will lead to an increase in productivity. So, should social media be used in the workplace? Without a doubt!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I. Opening Statement (2 points) Big Question: Is the use of technology in the Digital Age beneficial or detrimental to the overall learning experience of students. Thesis statement: With the growing usage of technology seen in today’s students, the integration of physical and digital technology, online learning and social media in the classroom create a collaborative and user friendly environment; for students to share, learn, communicate and grow together. II. What I Learned (6 points) Student One: Kyle Small Question: Is the use of social media in the classroom beneficial or a distraction.... [tags: Education, Virtual learning environment]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- Being born in the 90’s social media didn’t really exist at the time. Internet was created in 1992 and most people “raced to get a PC in every household was on. And, by 1995, the site that may have been the first to fulfill the modern definition of social networking was born” (Trends 2014). Some of the first social media sites created were classmates, Sixdegrees, AsianAvenue, MiGente, and BlackPlanet. But for people in my generation remember when MySpace first came out and that was what everyone was using at the time.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Person, People]
1508 words (4.3 pages)
- There is a growing concern on conditions of people over using social media. Most of the people are crazy on social media currently. There are some teenagers killed while playing Pokémon GO. Some scientists believe that last 10 years, most of the people waste a lot of time in social media every day. For an example, Aaron lee wasted 29days and 9 hours on Facebook since 2018. It is hard to believe that people spend a lot of time on social media. Many people do not understand the importance of life balanced and what is social media in their life.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Social network service]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Do you remember when the term “social media,” meant sitting on the porch with your friends talking about the day’s events. Whether we like it or not, social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and internet blogs are here to stay. These sites offer children and adolescents a doorway into social networking, gaming, and entertainment more than ever before. Social media website use is one of the fastest growing and most common daily activities among today’s children. Facebook now has over 7.5 million American kids under the age of 13 with open accounts (Clinton & Steyer, 2012).... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Facebook, Adolescence]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- When Van Dijck describes social media as a “culture of connectivity”, she wants to explain how social media is all about connections. Through social media, there are millions of connections being made every hour whether it be peer-to-peer or through third parties. Using Facebook as an example of a “culture of connectivity”, it can be explained through the sheer nature of Facebook. Facebook is fueled by its users and its user connectedness. The interface presents the user with interactions such as their news feed, wall, tagged photos, and “People You May Know”.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Sociology, Twitter]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- “Being connected opens the door to a world of learning and sharing.” (Jerry Blumengarten). Social media is a widely used platform of connection and communication today. People across the globe are able to connect instantly with others, whether through Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. With a click of a mouse or a tap on a screen, people are able to express themselves and share details about their lives to others. In turn, people are able to stay informed about other’s lives as well. As our lives become busier, social media becomes increasingly popular by the day, and it has become a part of daily life for many individuals.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Facebook, Communication]
700 words (2 pages)
- Since the 1990’s the internet has been a source of information, communication and entertainment. Since then the internet has exploded into a whole different world and most people living in the free world have some sort of access to it. This explosion has lead to everything from getting the most up-to-date information concerning the news or the funniest meme to date. Some stuck up old people believe that “old-fashioned” way of communication is dying and letter writing is in fact, dead. However tech savvy millennials, who basically took the internet and made it into what it is today, and this growing up Generation Z has taken the tools the internet has to offer and is ruling the world with th... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Social network service]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Banning Social Media in Schools Social media has an increasing presence in the everyday lives of children and teenagers. “Social media is a term that generally refers to a set of online tools and practices with which people share personal information, ideas, and opinions for the purpose of social interaction.” (Falk, 2016) Some examples of social media include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. While some schools have begun to integrate social media into teaching plans, most schools have blocked social media websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, on their wireless networks.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, MySpace, Homework]
1494 words (4.3 pages)
1043 words (3 pages)
- Prior to presentation of the relevant literature as described above it is first necessary to define essential terms for purposes of clarity and understanding. Definition of Key Terms Social media networks are online platforms that electronically connect people, social media uses phone, computers. Boyd and Ellison, (2007) stated that social networks refer to marketing of personal information to the public through the internet. Social networking sites are web networks on which numerous people post private information and have the ability to share messages with other people.... [tags: Social network service, Social media]
738 words (2.1 pages)