To better understand Nathan’s claim, we must look at her evidence. She begins the chapter by explaining the importance of invisibility in the classroom. “Don’t be too noticeable is the rule” that is commonly known by most students (91). She elaborates by explaining that a student should not add new information into a conversation yet ask a question that would concern all students about upcoming work or tests. Later in the chapter, she highlights that the instructor 's main role in the classroom is “getting [students] to say something” because students felt pressured into remaining silent (94). This pressure came from personal self-doubt ...
... middle of paper ...
...ege experience and in the weighing of it over academic life because her broad claim did not take into account that every undergraduate goes through a different experience.
In My Freshman Year, Nathan makes the broad claim that the college experience matters more to undergraduates than the education. After she stated that intellectual life in and outside the classroom does not meet the standards of a university, I highlighted how her own examples and my experience illustrate that a student can get an enriched educational environment by sharing and critically thinking about their thoughts. When considering her research on an undergraduates desire for the college experience, we find fallacies in her conducted study. In addition, there are fallacies to her definition of the college experience which invalidates her claim that undergraduates desire it more than academics.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My Freshman Year- What A Professor Learned By Becoming A Student by Rebekah Nathan is about a college professor who investigates college students’ lifestyle in their freshman year. There has been many times when college professors have assigned a great deal of work and expected it to be due in a short period of time. To the professors, they may think a week is enough time. However, to students like myself it looks to be only two or three days. As college students, especially in our freshman year, we have a lot of pressure.... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- The Nurturing College Professor Nurturing behavior regarding teaching is defined in both negative and positive ways when addressing the effectiveness of the teacher and his or her impact and influence on student learning. Helping a student become a better and more involved learner is an important issue when talking about nurturing teaching because it exists as one of the ultimate goals of this kind of encouraging and supportive teacher.This teacher wants to see his or her students as engaged as possible with the material.ìÖwe would expect students who are really learning to be asking question and exploring connections between their personal lives and the course material in their writings an... [tags: Nurture Classroom Students Helping Papers]
4235 words (12.1 pages)
- This course was the first course I took as an incoming freshman, as anyone could imagine I was scared and nervous at the same time. Also since it is a writing course; I was hesitant if I wanted to continue in the class because writing is very challenging for me as an immigrant. Returning from summer break, I found it extremely tough to continue where I left off with my writing skills from high school. The fear of writing that my old high school teacher instilled in me did not help my writing anxiety either.... [tags: personal reflection]
670 words (1.9 pages)
- When I started my college career, I believed that I wanted to go into politics and become a senator one day. As I attended classes for this major, however, I discovered that was not what I wanted to do and switched to Business Administration, as I have always had an affinity for business and believed that it would provide me with a good job one day. For this degree, I had to take an introduction to Accounting, and during this class I learned that this was something that I seemed to not only to have a knack for, but something I enjoyed.... [tags: High school, University, Middle school, College]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- First semester college freshman battle stress, depression, and anxiety caused by the transition from high school to college. Adaptation alone is a stressful series of occurring events, and to adapt to their [freshman] surrounding environment, an individual must manage problems, challenges, and demands in his or her daily life (Dyson 2). The transition from high school to a major university is portrayed as the process of growing into adulthood from youth. On top of being unfamiliar with college life, many freshmen second guess their academic abilities and whether or not they can meet the expatiations of their over zealous parents.... [tags: college, freshman,]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- The Housekeeper and the Professor is a novel written by Yoko Ogawa, and published in 2003. The story is a bout a mathematician who is the professor in the story. The professor suffered from a brain damage after a tragic traffic road accident, and he can only produce 80 minutes worth of memories. The professor forgot everything about his former life, but could only remember numbers, since he had a passion for mathematics. The story is told from the narrator’s point of view (the housekeeper). The narrator was to take care of the professor who asked her to let her son come direct to his house after learning that she had a 10 year old son who used to wait for her at home till late night after... [tags: The Housekeeper and the Professor]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Freshman year, the year of many first; the first time living away from home, the first time being away from friends, the first time a student has control of their own learning. Freshman year requires a lot of discipline, but a lot of students do not possess this trait. The factors that contribute to the success of first year college students are social support, comfort within the college environment, self control,responsibiliy and positive self concept. Being a college student could be very stressful; many students feel pressure from their family and peers to do well.... [tags: College Success Freshman]
1413 words (4 pages)
- College is the time when a person goes from being a kid to a young adult. This is also the time when a person is on his or her own but also needs to learn how to be responsible at the same time. But as time goes by, we students have learned the hard way that it’s extremely easy to let that freedom get to our heads and go a bit overboard causing us to screw something up. Studies have shown that students who’d never had a problem doing homework find themselves failing tests when there’s no one around to motivate them to attend class.... [tags: college life]
636 words (1.8 pages)
- Freshman Year Reflection Paper When I first packed everything to move to Springfield, I was excited to start college in a new place and really be independent. During the first week of classes, I swore that I would not be able to survive this first semester. I did not expect some of the classes to be as difficult as they turned out to be. Other issues with a roommate led the first weeks to be rough; however, I started to like college once I found my ground and got my head straight. Once I was on campus and on my own, the allure of being independent disappeared.... [tags: High school, Personality psychology, Class]
738 words (2.1 pages)
- I, Darren Garner, am writing to expiate how recent circumstances in my life have impacted my matriculation at Dalton State College. Many trials and tribulations have planted themselves in my path to success throughout my post education career. Though the adversity may have stressed and crippled my drive to be successful I still managed to show a spirit of excellence in my matriculation. Many opportunities for me to halt my education have presented themselves boldly but me having the mindset of modesty and tranquility have kept me afloat and focus on my priorities.... [tags: High school, Family, Greatest hits, Homework]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
- Children Need The Assurance Of Being Loved And Cared For While They Are Enjoying An Educational Environment
- Volcanic And Seismic Events Describe The Activity Of Volcanoes And Earthquakes
- My Cellular Customer Agreement With Verizon Wireless
- When All You Have Is Yourself
- A Comprehensive Satellite Healthcare Clinic
- College Is The Perfect Fit For Me