Throughout this foundational writing class, I was able to cultivate my writing skills and compose essays for particular audiences and purposes. The goal and objectives that I held to be the most important to my work in this course was to develop and master different writing techniques, discover different forms of citation and how to incorporate them properly, and I wished to learn where to find reliable sources (books, text, articles, on-line readings, etc.) to reinforce my arguments. As I proudly read my graded papers, it has become evident that even though my background as a writer helped me – this course, in great addition, has successfully enabled to me to employ strategies for generating ideas for writing as a result of creating outlines, peer-reviews, and pre-writing assignments. Further, I would like to believe that I excelled in identifying the arguments, the counter arguments and the evidence, particularly when writing the second major essay – Compare and Contrast. This assignment allowed me to critically engage with two readings pertaining to the same universal topic in order formulate a thesis statement the states the differences, similarities, and lastly, which one was more effective in th...
... middle of paper ...
...uired throughout the semester. As a reflection of my grades and my intellectual development, my progress in completing the class objectives set out in the course syllabus was, in great part, successful. The three major essays aided by the minor assignments that I had to complete helped me achieve the goal I set out to achieve in the beginning of this semester. Based on the main concertation of this course, I would anticipate in my upcoming courses the study of argumentative and research texts, and draft revisions. To answer the question, without the slightest shadow of doubt, this class has provided me with the fundamental basis to meet the requirement of my upcoming classes by pushing me to think critically, gather relevant information through research and readings, and lastly, as a result of short debates and group analysis, I have mastered the art of persuasion.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- From the very beginning of written rhetoric, about 24 centuries ago , the ability to communicate effectively has been elemental to conducting business. Corporations that are treasure top quality writing are assumed to have equally quality products and customer service standards, and this translates to market successes. Similarly, employees that excel at getting their points across are valued in the world of commerce. Yet workplace communication is replete with poor standards that can be traced to when students enter college.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Academia, Communication]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- Writing has always been a difficult subject for me to tackle throughout my education. I enjoy writing academic essays and rhetorically analyzing in research papers but not personal narratives of any sort. In this class, there was a combination of both, which helped me to continue to grow as a writer. During this semester, I have learned several valuable things in this class and gained a lot of knowledge to use in future academic classes. From different styles of writing, how to analyze images, MLA format, rhetorical analysis, and structuring my writing to an online audience.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Paper, Writing style]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- Since the beginning of the semester, the English language has been a continuous struggle for me to grasp and comprehend. Due to my parents having no prior knowledge of the language, my only source of learning was based off of entertainment medias such as the television, radio and video games. However, ever since the start of the semester in August, my knowledge in the English language has improved over the course of the semester. Concepts such as the adherence to MLA style format, citing specific evidence and even using reader-friendly words are all techniques I have developed and mastered over the course of the semester since the beginning of the semester.... [tags: Essay, Writing, Style guide, Essays]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- This semester has gone by too fast. It seems like just yesterday was the first day of class. Although it appeared to be a very short semester, I learned a good amount of writing principles. I’ve never even heard of some of the information I took in. Overall, Comp 1 has informed me on a lot of writing rules and procedures that I can use in my future career. Some of the topics I learned about were Freitag 's Triangle, the writing process, MLA formatting, and written numbers. In process analysis papers, writers use a process called Freitag’s Triangle.... [tags: Writing, Typography, Writer, Grammatical person]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- As you start down your path to your adult career in college, you will have to write a lot of college papers, especially in English class. You will loathe your life because all of the deadline approaching all at once, but your English 101 class you will help you learn how to properly write a formal MLA style paper. Throughout your English class you will learn the necessary steps to write an amazing English paper. You will learn how to spot fragments which is not a complete sentence that usually lacks a verb or a subject, comma splices which are two sentence combined together by a comma, and run-ons which is two sentence that are combined together into one in this class.... [tags: Writing, English-language films, Paragraph]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- 1. As you start down your path to your adult career in college, you will have to write a lot of college papers, especially in English class. You will loathe your life because all of the deadline are approaching all at once, but your English 101 class you will help you learn how to properly write a formal MLA style paper. Throughout your English class you will learn the necessary steps to write an amazing English paper. In this class will learn how making a clear, strong thesis. A thesis statement is one sentence that is usually at the beginning of the paper, which controls all of the main ideas that are written within the paper and reflect to the reader what the paper is going to be about.... [tags: Writing, English-language films, Paragraph]
1300 words (3.7 pages)
- MLA is unnecessary and adds more stress to students. Yeah it’s organized but there is ways you can be organized without following a certain format. Students now are more worried about the structure of MLA and questioning if they are doing the format right than what they are going to write about. Professors too some grade more on the formatting of the essay than what the students actually write about. Having MLA as a requirement and affecting your grade is unnecessary yeah you’re going to use it through out high school and collage but what about after.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Creative writing, Writer]
1095 words (3.1 pages)
- Name: Thu Hoai Nguyen Writing Style Used: MLA Course and Section Number: THEO 202 - D13 Anthropology: Marriage and Divorce Marriage, a lifetime commitment of love, caring, trusting between two people, is the holy covenant in God 's plan. Nowadays, some marriages, unfortunately, are falling apart due to many problems escalated in society, lead to divorce as the consequence. * Indeed, Christians need to seek advice from God to work through these times of doubt and uncertainty. The biblical teaching on marriage is clearly expressed in Scripture.... [tags: Marriage, Alimony, Adultery, Divorce]
842 words (2.4 pages)
- Throughout this year, I’ve learned a lot about how to write a proper paper and follow MLA and APA guidelines. I have to say that I didn’t enjoy all the papers I wrote this year, and there is no doubt that some of them were harder than others. Not because it required a lot of digging around and extensive research, but because I find I put more thought into papers that are interesting to me. The essays I chose for my portfolio are the ones that I enjoyed the most. They are the product of an interest in what I’m writing and if I ever wanted to picture what I’m thinking in words about a subject I like, these would be that picture.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Essay, Thought]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Writing Improvement Assessment As this course in writing, for public administrators, comes to its conclusion, I have read provided materials, researched additional references and written various journal entries and analysis papers on topics that included writing skills and real world communications. The writing skill assignments provided the most interesting points but surprisingly, it was simple proof reading that proved the skill I need to spend more time mastering. This self-assessment will focus on the improvements I have made, points I have found interesting and the goals I have set to continue to improve my writing and communication skills.... [tags: style, format, editing]
538 words (1.5 pages)