Before taking ENG-111, due to already have taken Advanced Placement English classes, I believed that my writing skills were well-above average. Unfortunately, this belief did not hold for too long. After being assigned the first essay, in which we were instructed to write an analysis piece, I began to realize that I was not as competent as I originally thought.
As I sat down to work on the essay, in which I was to analyze Katy Perry’s Killer Queen perfume advertisement, the biggest struggle I had was dealing with creating an analytical thesis statement. Due to my previous experiences, I knew that the thesis stateme...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- During this period of literature of the Reconstruction to the New Negro Renaissance, 1865-1919, African Americans were becoming more educated and more aware of the rights that they were entitled to. The start of this Reconstruction Era began after 1863’s emancipation of slaves in the Confederate states and the Civil War’s end in 1865. Although the three Civil Rights amendments, thirteenth(1865), fourteenth (1868), and fifteenth (1870), ends slavery in slaves states, ensures equal protection and due process for all citizens, and gives voting rights to all men(Black and White), institutionalized segregation was still an issue(UShistory.org).... [tags: slavery, reconstruction era, literature]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- During this semester in LLD class, I have learned some writing skills and reading skills from the textbook “College Writing Skills,” and written three essays which helped me improve my reading and writing skills. Grammar is the rule of word and sentence, which means that put the right word into the appropriate position to make it become a complete sentence. In addition, this book tells us that the most important problem is to avoid having grammatical errors in the essay, that will make reader misunderstand the sentence 's meaning.... [tags: Writing, Grammar, Essay, Linguistics]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Back when I was a young lad, more specifically when I was in my third year of high school, I was a part of a Creative Writing class. Every Monday the whole class spend the entire day constructing a piece of poetry. While most of the time we were given a format or style to follow, the theme of the piece was entirely up to us. At this point I was not educated in aesthetic art, so I tried to imitate what I thought was true poetry: I wrote about love. When that resulted in one failure after another, I stopped and started doing them about things I had question about.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Art, Arts]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Every person has their own unique way of writing which makes their writing stand out among the other people’s writing. Weather a person’s writing is full of high leveled vocabulary to a person use of complex sentences. Throughout the semester I had many times where I felt that my writing was weak at certain points or at times where my writing skills to started to improve. The major assignments and the short answer responses helped improve my skills as a writer. Even though all three major assignments helped improved my writing skills, the one that had the most effect in my writing was the report essay as it helped discover new methods while also the short answer response number 4 helped me t... [tags: Writing, Essay, Essays, Linguistics]
703 words (2 pages)
- I have four class in this semester, but the most important one for me is ESL 097. In this class, I learned many useful skills such as how to write essay. Those skills can make my English better than before and help me learn the next level easily. I think there have four skills that I learned are very important, writing skills, grammar, buzzer warm up and have a presentation. The first skill that I want to talk about is writing skills. Writing is very important for students because most of the class need student to write essay.... [tags: Writing, Learning, Skill, Better]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Within the weeks 7 through till 12 I have had many seminars on study skills and the skills for success, some of which including skills to help me with reading skills and also to help me with my essay writing. These seminars help me to gain a stronger understanding of the skills that I need to improve on and the skills that I feel relatively okay with. It also allows me to think about some skills that I wouldn 't usually think about. Firstly there was the essay writing session with 10 of my peers and I was learning about different techniques on how to write an essay and also what a “good essay” includes.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Need to know, Word]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- Stephanie Mora Professor Melee Writing 01 Section 59 Prompt #2 11 September 2012 Patience, Process and Practice Through most of my time in high school, I always found myself writing more of exploratory writing for two simple reasons; it took a shorter amount of time, and relating writing to my personal experiences was something I had no need to look up. Exploratory writing is a time to take advantage to relate your own personal experiences and an attempt to make a connection with a certain reading.... [tags: Essay, Writing, Five paragraph essay, Writer]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- Throughout this year I have had the opportunity to explore skills and methods of writing I’ve never used before. Multiple drafts and peer reviews were some of those skills, and they were new concepts I had never used in my work. I’d known what they are, just the basics, but before this class I never actually put those methods to work. During peer reviews I was able to get suggestions for revisions that I never would’ve thought of myself. By combining the ideas gathered in peer reviews and combining it with some of my own ideas, I was able to formulate stronger arguments.... [tags: Essay, Writing, Academia, Peer review]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- Throughout the fall semester in English 1010, I have learned a wealth of information that has provided stepping stones in improving my writing skills. Writing has always been a difficult task and has posed many challenges for me. One of the main challenges that I faced was writer’s block. I struggled with writing a simple paragraph and felt that I would never be able to write an essay or research paper. I either could not find the ideas or thoughts to write down or I did not know how to explain myself.... [tags: Writing, Critical thinking, Thought, Essay]
1179 words (3.4 pages)
- From the beginning of English 100 course to the end, I have seen my writing skill develop tremendously. The writing assignments we were exposed to has help me become a better writer. The writing assignment “Description of a Character” has allowed me to improve my skills on writing in more depth about a certain person or situation. Also doing the worksheet for “Indian Education” has help me have a better understanding of the writing techniques in order to develop a good narrative collage. Doing the open letter to address an issue or topic using evidence to support a claim was a new skill I learned that will help me in future assignments.... [tags: Writing, Better, Sherman Alexie, Paper]
718 words (2.1 pages)