The meaning of leadership has many different meanings but there is one that really sticks out to me which is, being a leader of a group, and having that feeling of importance. In leadership of philosophy we learned that there not really a real difentation. According to John C Maxwell, “ A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. My view of leadership is teamwork, teambuilding, a group leader, and group work. Leadership is a very important in order to be successful.
My dream job would be a president or a principal of a school for the disabled. When I was very little I played “school”. It was a daily afternoon routine for me, and sometimes even on the weekends I would create worksheets or even grade papers. I did this for a very long time, I still plan education things on my laptop time to time and get ready for being a preschool teacher or a teacher of a private school. When I decided I wanted to create a school for the disabled I was always in the special education classroom at my high school. I was beginning to look for colleges and I was getting very frustrated and that is when I decide that my dream job would be to create a school just the for the disabled.
The exercises we did during our eight week term and there were only one of them that I felt out of my comfort zone. One of the very first activities we did was communication. It was where we were numbered off by three’s. The ones went into the hallway and got instructions, the twos had to face the ones, and lastly the threes were blindfolded and facing the two’s back. The catch was the three’s were blindfolded, the ones could not talk and the two’s could not see the three’s. Not being able to understand directions was a very hard and difficult t...
... middle of paper ...
...und the courage to overcome that challenge.
I am a leadership major and I have been through a number of leadership classes and online training. The skills I can improve on is having the courage to take charge in a group of complete strangers in a very familiar setting. Considering I have been through five years of college I have mastered the skills I want and desire to accomplished.
Leadership is a very important skill to have while being an adult and while working anywhere in today’s society. In life there will be challenges and obstacles, by being a senior my next four years will consist of, hardships, failing, succeeding, meltdowns, and sleepless nights. It would mean the world to me if my dream job goal did come true. John Quincy Adams said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Charismatic leadership is also known to have a large effect on their followers emotionally. In regards to a charismatic leader, Northouse (2013) stated that "the personality characteristics of a charismatic leader include being dominant, having a strong desire to influence others, being self-confident, and having a strong sense of one 's own moral values" (p. 188). Followers develop a loyalty to charismatic leaders because they can see themselves in the leader and they become emotionally involved in them, these factors tend to make it difficult for them to question them or their ideas.... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- As the semester draws to its conclusion, I reminisce about all I have learned in this Leadership class and how it has drastically change my perspective of what a leader is. Before this class, I would have never believed there were theories associated with the concept of being a leader. However, after finishing this course I have spent the last couple of days contemplating what theories best represent my leadership style right now, as well as what theories I hope to embody as a future leader to accomplish my goals.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1884 words (5.4 pages)
- The definition of leadership is “leadership is the activity of leading a group of people or organization or the ability to do this (What is leadership, 2015).” Leadership is also about helping followers that are gifted in many areas to concentrate on the organization’s true mission. A true leader helps motivate followers into seeing the future of the organization and breaks down the true vision to make it understandable by all. Leadership includes motivating, teaching, coaching, building on the diversity within an organization, helping, directing, and many other aspects.... [tags: Leadership, Ethics, Ethical leadership, Management]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- As an aspiring leader I believe a leadership trait I need to improve on is motivation. Motivation is an important aspect of transformational leadership, as you want your subordinates to share your same ideas and goals. However, for me finding the right way to motivate my subordinates is difficult, especially when the task proves to be challenging. At times it seems easier to switch from transformational leadership to pseudo transformational leadership, which allows for my personal interest to come before my followers and removes my authenticity from leadership.... [tags: Ethics, Leadership, Ethical leadership, Value]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- “Leadership- the position or function of a leader; a person who guides or directs a group” (Dictionary.com, n.d.). Sounds easy enough, right. If this was so: the terrible bosses, ineffective teachers, and failing parents, the reader may have experienced, would not have proved such leadership failures. This may lead someone who has encountered these examples to assume that leadership is the characteristic of only a few elite individuals. However, research suggests that this may not be the case. More specifically, research suggests that leadership can certainly “be taught”.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Management, Better]
742 words (2.1 pages)
- The book “The Leadership Pipeline How to Build the Leadership Powered Company”, discusses the need to establish clearly defined passages from the individual contributor to the Enterprise Manager. In the first section of the book we review the characteristics needed to succeed as a Group Manager. These characteristics are all built on efficacious passage from the previous level of manager. If an individual was not fully proficient and had not made the transition from one level to the next he or she will clog the leadership pipeline and will prevent effective management, both above the clog and below the clog.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Skill, Learning]
1329 words (3.8 pages)
- Literature Review Definition of Leadership and a Leader Managers have many complex, interrelated responsibilities. They have to organize how an organization’s work gets done and by whom, they train, teach and motivate employees, hold them accountable. They often budget for and allocate resources, organize work processes and make plans how their group will reach goals. To be an effective manager it is important to be able to perform successfuly these activities. But sometimes it is not enough to be just a good manager, sometimes it is important to be a leader.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
1830 words (5.2 pages)
- (i) an analysis of the interviewee’s leadership style, leader vs. manager, and which model(s) may be useful to explain it The leader whom I had a privilege to interview works for a reputed financial company and also volunteers in the NYC assembly man office. His leadership style is characterized by inspiring and leading people, creating values and long-range perspectives, developing new ideas and focusing on society. Even though it is hard for him to separate his managerial responsibilities during his work in the financial company, his goals were always oriented towards people and improving his community wellbeing.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Leadership development]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Leadership starts with the person at hand. There are two types of leaders good or bad is a simple way to view it. Leaders can be characterized as someone with charisma, motivated, helpful. However, that’s not always the case. Leader have to understand that they set examples for their followers. Their number one job is to influence relationship among leaders and followers who intend real changes and outcomes that reflect their shared purpose. Everyday people show how they could be leaders. One is in this time must understand that with the world evolving and growing that the leadership standards have to change.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Fiedler contingency model]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- Leadership There are at least two things you can say about leadership without sounding stupid or exaggerating, 1) Leaders are important, and secondly 2) There is always a leadership crisis of one kind or another, at any given time; e.g. shortage or incompetence, evil, crooked, inadequate, you name it. As simplistic as these statements may sound, they are paramount to any study or discussion of leadership and its effectiveness. In this paper, I would like to elaborate upon some qualities of a good leader, the relationship between leaders and the followers, the difference between a leader and a manager, between leadership and authority, and finally touch upon the possible evils and misuse of... [tags: Leader Leadership]
1229 words (3.5 pages)