One of the first things one must understand is the case itself. On the 2nd of December 2015, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed fourteen people and injured twenty-two more at a holiday party in San Bernardino California. The couple was killed in a shootout with the police a few hours later. However, in the course of the investigation, the FBI discovered that they could not get into Farook’s locked iPhone. They were afraid to try breaking into it, as they didn’t want to risk activating a feature that would destroy all of the data on the phone. Thus, they attempted to get Apple to break into the phone for them. However, Apple refused, because they weren’t just asking them to break into one phone. Instead, they were trying to get Apple to make them a code that would enable them to break into any iPhone, not just Farook’s. This has the potential to create a disturbing precedent, in which the FBI could potentially break into any phone of their choosing, even if it might not be necessary or even relevant to a case. This, naturally, brings up the issue of the Patriot Act.
The Patriot Act is a law passed in th...
... middle of paper ...
...onds. This is why it is crucial for so many people and business to have safe, secure, and unfettered access to their phones. Simply put, digital communication is one of the most important extensions in this day and age. Thus, the desire of the FBI to have a program that allows them unrestricted access to iPhones is not only wrong, but dangerous. At the risk of sounding paranoid, there are many who believe that this could open iPhone users up to hacking. Not to mention the risk associated with enemy nations getting access to a program such as the one the FBI wanted, which some feel is a potential threat.
By requesting software to give them access to iPhones in such a manner, the FBI is implying that this would not be a product to be used one time, but would instead be a program used again and again. The problem many people see with this is simple: where is the line?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Play is a child’s work and play is important for the child’s development and for children to bond with their parents and caretakers. Playing with your child offers an opportunity to get to bond and create a strong relationship. As a parent, guardian or caretaker you have taken the role of being the child’s first teacher with much of the teaching happening through play. While playing with the child it teaches them rules and what is expected out of him or her. As they grow, play teaches the child how they are expected to act in society and at home.... [tags: Play, Learning, Play, Child]
1816 words (5.2 pages)
- We as humans have always needed the ability to communicate with each other; this is how we express our emotions, feelings, concerns and also how we pass down our knowledge from one another. Communication has been the key to hour species survival; this is how we let each other know the latest information that relates to our lives. However, getting the information from one place to another especially across countries or even continents has always been a difficult task, many times the information got lost or it just never reaches its destination.... [tags: Effects on Generation, Technology, Mobile Devices]
2402 words (6.9 pages)
- Comparing and Contrasting Despite being close in age, high schoolers and college students are very different. In high school, one is still living with their parents. In college, even if one is still living at home, they are seen more as an adult than those in high school. In terms of the results of this research, it was found that there was not a strong difference in data—technology use, especially cellphone use, is extremely prevalent. This speaks to the importance of cellphones in today’s culture.... [tags: Sociology, Mobile phone, High school]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Many people argue if cell phones are too much of a distraction in our lives. Some people believe it is a key device in staying communicated with our friends and family members. In the video on YouTube, “Look Up,” it shows an example of how a man lost his chance to look up from his phone and talk to a girl. The girl later on became his wife and they had two kids. There are many examples of how cell phones are advantageous and disadvantageous in our lives. One con about phones is that there have been many wrecks because of texting and driving.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Nowadays, internet grows so fast and it is all around our daily lives. You can look up everything you want to know on internet, such as news, weather, or study research. You can check your bank account balance and do all the transactions in online banking. Also, you can share your social status, photos and video by using facebook and instagram. The development of cellphones makes our lives more and more convenient. It provides us less consumption of time and resources. The cell phone which I am using is my birthday gift from my parents.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- A lot has changed in the past few decades, not to mention centuries. Perhaps you’ve heard your grandparents, or any adult in general, talking about how much the world is changing. In the past few decades, commitment has gone on a rollercoaster. At times it’s going uphill-marriage rates are up, divorce rates are down, and people are happy in their relationships. At other times, it has been quite the opposite. In A Brave New World, they show a glimpse of a possible future society; the novel serves as a warning to help the world slow down when it comes to technology and love.... [tags: Marriage, Cohabitation, Family]
2189 words (6.3 pages)
- Technologies within cell phones are changing rapidly; so rapidly that the changes cannot be controlled. Cell phones and phones in general have evolved greatly since they were first invented, with everything available with only a click of a button. In general, phones have gone from being connected to one through an operator, to calling someone using a dial phone, to being able to contact someone while they are on the go at a pay phone station, to having one’s own personal hand held cell phone. Cell phones have greatly come a long ways and have technologically improved.... [tags: Our Cellphones Our Selves, Impacts]
2064 words (5.9 pages)
- How Cellphones Have Changed Our Lives for the Worse Introduction I have a question for everyone, how many of you could a full 24 hours without your cellphones, tablets, laptop or any other electronic device. I’m pretty sure very few of us, especially the ladies. We have become so dependent on our electronics that, the cellphone is almost an attachment to our bodies. For some of us, technology has changed our lives for the better, but for some, it has changed how we interact with the world. No longer are we a hands on or personable society, all you got to do is Google "cell phone addiction" several articles will appear.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network, Laptop, Nokia]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Cellphones play a huge role in one’s life. There are many different cellphones in the world that [ ….] iPhones are better than Androids because they have a singular and simpler operation system and a single style instead of a wide variety. IPhones have a singular operation system known as IOS. It was once known as OS X but after a few years it was name iPhone OS which became IOS. The very first ISO system was made in 2007 when the very first iPhone was invented (Staff). Before the very first operation system, iPhones did not support 3G internet, it did not support multitasking, it did not support 3rd party apps and one could not copy and paste (Staff).... [tags: IPhone, Apple Inc., IPhone OS, Mac OS X]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- Cellphone has a huge impact in our society that allows us to do virtually anything ranging from texting, blogging, browsing through the internet, purchasing an item, etc. It makes it easy to get addicted to something that we use on a daily basis and that 's one touch away. How has cellphone changed in recent years. Even though cell phone was created in recent decades, it continues to grow in level of it 's capabilities. Cellphone used to be for calling, then it changed to texting that took a longer time, and now it 's easy as touch of a screen or verbally communicate on the screen.... [tags: Mobile phone, IPhone, Bluetooth, Text messaging]
1006 words (2.9 pages)