Human Resource management (HRM) can be defined and simplified in various ways. One definition is that HRM is to “get the right people on the bus, the wrong people off the bus, and the right people in the right seats” (Collins, 2001). The People theory is a theory in HRM that includes Recruitement and selection- two major subjects in the HRM function which concerns people and their way to a job for them.This essay will treat and discuss these two topics, recruitment and selection and their importance to the HRM function.
Job advertisements is a form of recruitment and can be done through several ways for instance through the internet, newspapers, jobcentres etc. (Foot and Hook, 2008). According to Armstrong, M., (2009).The aim is to attract plenty of individuals with the competency for the vacancy to the least cost also to motivate candidates to take action, to uphold interest in the organisations vacancy and for the company to compete with other organisations of the most attractive candidates.
Google- a web based search engine appointed the world’s most attractive employer 2013 by 200 000 students or potential candidates (Universum, 2013), utilizes job advertisement relatively limited to their corporate website (Google, 2013), this displays the importance of maintaining a continuous interest amongst possible candidates as it creates a platform and contribute to strengthen the
chances of finding suitable candidate for the vacancy (Armstrong, 2009). Google is also known to have attractive benefits such as free legal aid, travel insurance, on -site physicians etc. making it appealing for applicants to apply as well as further widen the pool of potential candidates.
Because of their accurate matches of the potentia...
... middle of paper ...
...2013. Inside Google’s Culture of Success and Employee Happiness [online]
Availiable at: http://blog.kissmetrics.com/googles-culture-of-success/
[retrived 29 November 2013]
Signature9, 2013.American Apparel’s Anti-Ugly Hiring Policy [online]
Availiable at: http://www.signature9.com/style/fashion/american-apparels-anti-ugly-hiring-policy
[retrived 29 November 2013]
The Guardian, 2007 Supermodels launch anti-racism protest [online]
Availiable at: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/sep/15/usa.fashion
[retrived 29 November 2013]
The University of Sheffield, 2013.Human Resources [online].
Availiable at: http://www.shef.ac.uk/hr/recruitment/guidance/keylegislation
[retrived 27 November 2013]
Universum, 2013. The Worlds Most Attractive Employer 2013 [online].
Available at: http://universumglobal.com/ideal-employer-rankings/global-results/
[retrived 18 November 2013]
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The recruitment and selection process is one of many HR functions, but also one of the most important. They can make a great impact on the growth of revenue. When typically searching for the best quality employees for a new position at your company, the human resources department are the ones that handle recruitment. They will complete this process by using different strategies. Most of these strategies consist of defining requirements, which means they are preparing the job description correctly deciding terms and conditions for their new hire.... [tags: Human resource management, Human resources]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Business Concept According to Flippo (1984), recruitment is an activity of looking out for individuals for employment and motivating them to apply for jobs in the organization. Recruitment is a pursuit that connects the organizations and the individuals. It is an activity of hitting upon and inviting skilled candidates for engagement. The course of action commences when fresh candidates are pursued and completes when their applications are put forward. The outcome is a collection of applications out of which new employees are chosen.... [tags: Recruitment, Employment, Employment agency]
1589 words (4.5 pages)
- Globalisation has increased customers’ expectations and decreased customer loyalty. As a result businesses need to evolve and change in order to compete in a competitive market. As the market is changing quickly they must adapt fast. They can do this through enticing and retaining high quality individuals into their companies, this in turn will give them the competitive edge. Specsavers Opticians has the largest market share in optical retail in the UK. Due to their expansion across the globe they now have over 30,000 members of staff and have shops in over 11 countries.... [tags: Recruitment, Job description, Employment]
2169 words (6.2 pages)
- BEST PRACTICES IN SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT. For any establishment to ensure consistent growth or maintain above board performance with regard to its core mandate, it must ensure that it has sufficient man-power with not just the requisite skills but also the personal drive to help the organization achieve its goals. Only via effective recruitment practice can this be achieved. Best practices in selection and recruitment generally encompasses various crucial aspects such as effective; attraction of candidates, shortlisting, assessment, selection, induction and monitoring of the candidates.... [tags: Advertising, Employment, Recruitment]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- Recruitment and Selection In here I will talk about my job description person specification and other documents also I will be talking about what happened in the planning stages and the interview process. Also I will be reflecting on the whole planning process, furthermore I will talk about how the recruitment process could be improved and I will be comparing it with someone else. Job Description: Explain how it improves the recruitment and selection process particularly the interview; This improves the recruitment and selection process particularly the interview because the managers will know who they are selecting for interview by looking at the candidates skills and experience to see whet... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Job description, Improve]
1495 words (4.3 pages)
- The word recruitment is described as the procedure of choosing the workers and then registering them for satisfying the openings in the business. The procedure is employed to distinguish the possible citizens who are appropriate for carrying out a definite job. The procedure endeavors to discover the most excellent individuals for the job. Conversely, selection is a procedure of choosing the individuals by scrutinizing them on diverse standards. Selection is referred to as the preliminary phase or footstep of employment since for hiring the novel workers ' selection is executed first.... [tags: Optomizing Human Resources]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
- Beck’s Hybrids Recruitment and Selection Process Recruitment and selection impacts the success of every organization. Organizations with effective recruiting and selection result in positive outcomes that affects the products and services, and the perception of the organization. Having the right people for the job will increase profits and decrease costly turnovers. Even though organizations are operating in uncertain times, focusing on staying committed, and making certain they have the best talent will ensure future success.... [tags: Recruitment, Employment, Recruiter, Management]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- Talent recruitment is among the key issues businesses must solve. Attracting the right talent and making the right hire is not as easy as it might sound, especially in the current recruitment landscape. So, what is the future of talent recruitment. We’ll explore the changes the recruitment industry has faced in the past, by analysing the previous recruitment model and the impact of digitalisation of the sector. We’ll then focus on the big problem recruitment must solve and outline five future trends of the industry.... [tags: Recruitment, Employment, Résumé, Recruiter]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- Table of Contents Task 1 3 1.1 Write the Recruitment Procedures for the above case and document it, show the actual selection pathway followed 3 1.2 Assess the impact of legal, regulatory and ethical considerations to the recruitment and selection process for above case 4 1.3 Make a group and play out the various roles involved in the selection Process 4 1.4 Evaluate your contribution in the above Role-play selection process 5 Task 2 6 2.1 Explain the skills and attributes needed for leadership 6 2.2 Explain the difference between leadership and management 6 2.3 Compare the leadership styles of Nelson and Thompson 7 2.4 How do you think the 10 People under Thompson be motivated 7 Task 3 9 3.... [tags: Staff Recruitment]
3180 words (9.1 pages)
- The Role of Recruitment in Success of Organizations As recruitment and selection plays a vital role in the successful operation of any organisation, and the fact cannot be denied that without a proper and systematic procedure for recruitment and selection a company can never achieve it’s goals. In this assignment we shall discuss the role of recruitment and selection criteria in the new millennium and the suggested methods that could be adopted for this. In the new millennium as every thing is set to change or will change the process of recruitment and selection will have to through a rigorous and drastic change to meet the competencies and the upcoming new challe... [tags: Papers]
1884 words (5.4 pages)