Fast forward about 200 years to today. Students all over the world struggle with the daily load of homework. Today, some students spend as much as five hours on homework (“Homework”). For years, people have wondered if the time spent of homework really helps as much as it claims to. Today, people talk about homework all over the world. Although homework enforces what the schools teach, it eats up time, causes stress, induces loss of sleep and research shows a way to control the homework load.
Most students enjoy numerus extracurricular activities, such as sports and music. They also want to spend time with friends and family. When teachers give 5 hours of homework, students either do their homework and let social time slide, or give into social time, but procrastinate on homework, thus creating stress and tension. In fact, “[s]tudents who spend too much time on homework…actually perform worse than students who spend less time” (Carr 174). It is important for students to participate in multiple school activities, and indulge in different hobbies. One mother notes that her daughter does not have “…time to hang out with friends, play a spontaneous game of soccer, write in a diary” due to...
... middle of paper ...
...earned. However, a reduced and more specific assignments might work. Studies show that students “…like work that is clearly defined” and “relevant” (Kidwell 10). Homework also needs to suit the students’ needs. “Homework that students can’t do without help is not good homework; students are discouraged when they are unable to complete homework on their own,” so teachers should “abandon the one-size-fits-all model” (Carr 175). These simple, yet effective changes will enhance the lives of both teachers and students alike.
By providing clear, creative, and well thought-out homework assignments, teachers can help students enjoy life, reduce stress and gain more sleep. Once positive changes develop, including a more detailed and customized homework plan, students will then retain more information, and discover that they have an easier time in acing those exams.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Too Much Homework. We have all gone through the thought of too much homework at one point in our educational lives. There have been many studies towards each side of this discussion. Ironically, many of them have been done by students for their homework. But, has there really been a factual answer. There are many beneficial sides to homework, if given the right amount. First of many, students need the practice for new material and in order for them to comprehend or learn it, they must practice it.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Homework help service]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- When you were a kid, what was the one thing you absolutely dreaded most. Had the most squabbles about with your parents. Was the most time consuming. Homework. Homework is an issue that has been highly debated for centuries. Some believe it is tremendously advantageous while others passionately disagree. When considering the necessity of homework, one must contemplate the entirety of the evidence before making a rational decision: the origin, the scientific findings, as well as the benefits or detriments to the children of America.... [tags: homework, school work, education system]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- College is often seen as the place one goes to receive a higher education and a leg up in the working world, but with mental health issues and student debt on the rise, what are students really receiving. Once these issues are classified, it becomes easier to understand what is really happening. The course loads many students face, are not only time consuming, but induce incredible amounts of stress with what is expected of them. The high demands each class poses, mentally taxes the students at an astonishing rate.... [tags: University, Student, Higher education, College]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- “Did you know that homework is one of the greatest causes of student dropouts and failing” (Kralovek 39). Since the beginning of the twentieth century, homework has been a major debate in America. “At first, the brain was seen as a muscle that could be trained by learning from homework and people enjoyed learning at home. This enthusiastic spirit did not last long since during the 1940’s, Professor Otto explained that, ‘Compulsory homework does not result in sufficiently improved academic accomplishment.’ When Sputnik was launched in the 1950’s, the United States feared that Russia would dominate the world in technology if homework continued to be unnecessary.... [tags: dumb homework]
3109 words (8.9 pages)
- Homework has been an integral part of education since children started to be educated. Recently however, homework has begun to be assigned more and more often to students, especially in the United States, as it has begun to fall further and further behind countries like China, Singapore, and Japan. Homework is anything assigned by teachers to be completed by the students either at home, or just on their own time. The workload for students has gotten to the point where more and more parents are starting to notice the load for their kids has gotten to be too much.... [tags: Education, Student, Schools, Homework]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- To much homework may cause more harm than good. In my sophomore year being a student-athlete was a huge challenge. I would drown in homework every single night after getting home from basketball practice at 5. I would stay up until 1 a.m doing all my homework, when I would get tired I would plead with my sister to help me finish my homework I had left to do. I became stressed with 7 hours of school and then 2 hours of basketball practice and then spending all night working on my assignments. I would go to school exhausted and in fear of how much homework I would receive that day.... [tags: Excessive Homework]
2058 words (5.9 pages)
- The Controversial Issue of Homework What would you rather do, graduate from high school when you are still young or live the rest of your life just wishing you would have just done your homework when you were in school, and not graduate with a high school diploma. The controversial issue of homework is whether to have the teachers assign it to the students or let them get away with no homework. In a previous study that compared students in the United States to students in Japan and Germany, “The 1995 Third International Math and Science Study (TIMSS) found that 8th graders in Japan and Germany are assigned less homework but still outperform U.S.... [tags: Learning, High school, Homework]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Every night is the same, frustrating routine for me: get home from a brain-rattling six-hour school day, eat as much food as I can find, do my daily chores, relax for an hour or two, and then pull out my mounds of homework due the following morning. With the addition of sports, my routine becomes chaotic. Instead of having one or two hours to relax, I am at practice for two to three hours. You can see how this would be a problem, right. Everybody needs at least a little time for himself/herself every day, but with sports in the picture, the time that I would usually have to myself is gone.... [tags: Homework Essays]
1043 words (3 pages)
- R. Van Der Linden Composition 1 Mr. Roos December 1, 2013 Homework is Harmful Homework is a very debatable topic. Is homework helpful or harmful. Some say that homework is helpful because it helps teachers know if a student understands the topic that he or she is working on in class. But, does that mean homework is helpful for the student. I say homework is harmful. Students have very busy schedules, and have many late nights throughout a typical school week. On top of the late nights at sports games, they still have homework to do when he or she gets home.... [tags: education, students, time, assignments]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Students are bombarded with hours of homework every night and it interferes with their lives. They are tired of staying up late at night to finish their homework or a paper that is due the next day. They should not have this workload that they have every night because they also have to live their childhood. Life is too short to be staying up until 11:00 because of schoolwork. Homework is unhealthy for students and it is not academically beneficial for them. We all know the downfall of homework: the frustration and exhaustion, family conflict, time loss, and decreasing interest in learning.... [tags: Students, Schools, Education, Homework]
1227 words (3.5 pages)