2. Cisco IOS Vulnerabilities
3. GNS3 Setup
A network topology in GNS3 (Graphical Network Simulator) is used in conjunction with Backtrack 5 to demonstrate the exploit tools of Cisco. The topology consists of three routers connected to one switch which is connected to a cloud. The cloud will act as Backtrack. The network address is 192.168.6.0/24. Each router is configured with separate IP addresses in the network. Backtrack is connected to the cloud on the same Vmnet custom network. (See Figure 3-1 below).
Figure 3-1. GNS3 Topology.
4. Cisco Auditing Tool
The Cisco Auditing Tool's main function is to scan cisco routers to look for well known vulnerabilties. The tool accomplishes three main tasks which are, brute forcing the telnet password if telnet is running, it tries to brute force the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) community strings, and finally it looks for the IOS history bug. (Ali and Heriyanto, 2011, p 144).
Telnet is a program that connects a PC to the server or router on the network. The default port for telnet is 23. SNMP is a p...
... middle of paper ...
Mati Aharoni, William M. Hidalgo (2010) Cisco SNMP configuration attack with a GRE tunnel
[online] available from
< http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/cisco-snmp-configuration-attack-gre-tunnel > [08 March 2014].
Faircloth J, Beale J, Temmingh R, Meer H, van der Walt C, Moore HD (2006) Penetration Testers Open Source Toolkit.
3rd edn. Massachusetts : Elsevier Syngress Publishing.
Kevin Orrey (2008) Cisco Torch [online] available from
< http://www.vulnerabilityassessment.co.uk/torch.htm> [08 March 2014].
Ali, S. and Heriyanto T. (2011) BackTrack 4: Assuring Security by Penetration Testers.
1st edn. Birmingham: Packt Publishing.
Alfredo Andres Omella, David Barroso Berrueta (2010) Yersinia Man Page [online] available from
< http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/yersinia.8.html> [08 March 2014].
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cisco incorporated has grown significantly over the years, since its inception and has established itself as the number one technology company throughout the industry. Initially, Cisco started as manufacturers of modems and routers, and has expanded its scope over the years. This paper will attempt to address Cisco’s operations and strategies in foreign markets it will also delve into the strengths, weaknesses and threats in the political, legal and economic environment in which it operates. Cisco incorporated operates in geographic regions of the Americas, Asia, and Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.... [tags: silicon intelligence, cisco systems, internet]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- In the last ten years, there have been many software vulnerabilities that have caused thousands of dollars to businesses. Many of their resources have been breached, and those malicious attacks have gotten better over the years. Back in the day, the job of a system administrator sometimes involved dealing with malware and other infectious software. However, security threats have become heavier on businesses today, and they depend on these IT professionals to do more than just updating the network with the latest security patches (Belovich, S.... [tags: Security, National security, Computer security]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- Ticker: NASDAQ: CSCO Sector: Technology Recommendations: Strong Buy Price: USD $23 Industry: Networking Price Target: USD $32.50 Highlights: Absolute Return Target Price $32.50 Current Price $23 Upside Potential 50% I recommend a strong buy on Cisco’s stock with a target price of $32.50, a 50% upside from its current price. Cisco has a solid competitive advantage, because there are not many strong competitors in the market.... [tags: exchange rates, nasdaq, price]
2593 words (7.4 pages)
- CASE QUESTIONS CISCO 1a. How did Cisco find itself in trouble with regard to its intended IT prior to Brad Boston's arrival. Prior to his arrival, CISCO had a decentralized approach to IT spending. Independent business groups were making decisions in fuctional silos. Each group their own funds for IT, therefore, redundant applications such as CRM systems were created. This was a global issue as well as a localized issue. The Cisco philosophy regarding IT was simple: As long as someone was willing to pay for it, the IT department would work on whatever process/project specified.... [tags: Case Study Cisco Technology Question Answer]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- Job Analysis Prior to any job being created, an analysis must be conducted. Thus, the completion of this analysis will provide the employer and employees with the significant aspects that are attributed to the creation of the respective job. Some of the significant aspects that the analysis would include are, but not limited, the essential functions (tasks) of the job, to the tools and resources required to perform the job, and its working conditions. All in all, this job analysis’ goal is to elucidate the ideal candidate for the job from the employer’s perspective through the two criteria: job description and person (job) specification.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Job description]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- COMPANY PROFILE Cisco Systems is one of the largest network communications company in the world. Cisco provides networking solutions that customers use to build a integrated information infrastructure of their own, or to connect to someone else’s network. Cisco also offers an extensive range of hardware products used to form information networks, or to give them access to these networks. Cisco also has it’s own software called IOS software, which provides network services and enables networked applications.... [tags: essays research papers]
332 words (0.9 pages)
- Cisco vs. Huawei: Intellectual Property Introduction On Jan. 23, 2003, Cisco Systems, Inc. announced that it has filed a lawsuit against a Chinese equipment manufacturer, Huawei Technologies, Co., LTD and its subsidiaries, Huawei America, Inc. and FutureWei Technologies, Inc. over Huawei's unlawful copying of Cisco's intellectual property. Cisco is the worldwide leader in networking for the Internet with the headquarter located in US. Huawei, based in Shenzhen, China, is China's biggest telecommunications equipment maker, has a wide reach in Asia, and recently entered the U.S.... [tags: Lawsuit Law Intellectual Property Essays]
2913 words (8.3 pages)
- INTRODUCTION With cyber-attacks on the continuous rise, organizations public and private must address computer security vulnerabilities. SANS Institute has revealed “unpatched client-side software applications” as the top priority vulnerability for organizations globally. In conjunction with unpatched client software, vulnerable “Internet-facing web sites” can result in an organizations infrastructure to be compromised. In this study I will address the issue of unpatched client software, the impact to an organizations infrastructure, and patch management as a vital mitigation solution.... [tags: Technology]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- I. Introduction Computer crime has been defined as, “Criminal activity directly related to the use of computers, specifically illegal trespass into the computer system or database of another, manipulation or theft of stored or on-line data, or sabotage of equipment and data.” The purpose of this work is to examine breaches in computer security. As a future IT professional, with the possibility of being in charge of protecting the security of a database, it is relevant to take a “hacker approach” to security.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2448 words (7 pages)
- Cisco Current Performance As a company Cisco Systems is still a powerhouse in their industry. It is the worldwide leader in networking for the Internet. Although they have broadened their product line tremendously since they first started, they still try to stick to the same business policies and plans that they had when they first started out. Cisco’s net sales for the last fiscal year were over eighteen billion dollars. This is an unbelievable amount of money for a company to generate if you consider this company is not even twenty-five years old.... [tags: Essays Papers]
3243 words (9.3 pages)