The first benchmark underneath grades 4-8 within the sixth Teacher Performance Expectation, states that. “candidates for a teaching credential build on students ' command of basic skills and understandings while providing intensive support for students who lack basic skills as defined in state-adopted academic content standar...
... middle of paper ...
...nking about math. Some students see 37 x 14 and use the algorithm which puts 37 on top of 14. Other students break 37 into 30 and 7 and break 14 into 10 and 4, then they multiply 10 x 30, 10 x 7, 4 x 30, and 4 x 7 then they proceed by adding their products. These different methods create scaffolds for students to access math in a way that makes sense to them.
Moving forward, I’d like to focus on “extending students’ concrete thinking and foster abstract reasoning and problem solving skills”. I want to make this one of my goals for next school year because, I often time see my students understanding the concepts I teach but then they struggle to apply their learning to real life situations. In order to achieve this goal, I believe I have to be more thoughtful in the homework students receive. Both in terms of differentiation as well as application of the concepts.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am applying for the Fulbright Taught Master’s in Creative Writing at University College Cork (Ireland), commencing September 2016 and running for twelve months. The graduate degree program will place me in Cork, Ireland and with the Cork community where I will engage with the two sides of creative writing craft, both as a means of self-exploration as well as tool for building community. Teaching and writing for me go hand-in-hand, especially for English teachers. For one, writers teach through their writing and teachers use that writing to inform curriculum.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Percy Bysshe Shelley]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- It’s funny how quickly time flies by it seems like just yesterday I was complaining about writing the first part of this assignment. Looking back at it now, the reasons why I want to become a teacher remain the same. I want to inspire, shape, encourage, and mentor my students. I want to make the kind of impact on each and every single one of them that they will carry on for the rest of their lives. Whether it be simply believing in them, and telling them that I know they are capable of accomplishing anything they want to, or helping them through a tough time.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, School]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- One of the biggest influences on the youth in society today are teachers, adults that students are in everyday contact with. Teachers are needed to instruct youth and students to be quality citizens in the community and to teach students values, morals and to educate the youth on how to become better people as well as helping adolescents grow into adulthood. A respectable goal for someone becoming a teacher is be devoted to the profession, take schooling seriously, and sincerely care for the students.... [tags: Teacher, Education, High school, School]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- After graduating college it is time to hit the real world, so it’s time to begin of what I want to do for a living. The career I’m striving to achieve is to become an elementary teacher or middle school teacher. Becoming a teacher would be fantastic, it’s a job I know I would enjoy and I’m passionate about. Being able to help young students learn new things every day would be amazing, knowing that in elementary years it is the foundation of a student’s education. Teaching in general and watching people through the process of learning the is the main reason I’m seeking a career as a teacher.... [tags: High school, Education, School, Teacher]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Recent studies show, that a high school education is presently becoming less and less useful. It is stated, “Two-thirds of college professors report that what is taught in high school does not prepare students for college” (Broad, para.3). In high schools, many students see their education and teachers as a joke; they blame their attitudes on the teachers and administration in the high schools because they are too lenient. Students would take their high school education seriously if their teachers and administration were tougher on them and they would not try to get by.... [tags: Education, High school, School, Teacher]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- The Road to Becoming a Great Teacher Every teacher has their strong points as well as weak points. Teaching is very hard work and some of them never grow to be anything better than mediocre. They do the bare minimum and very little over and above the call of duty. There are several ways to become a great teacher. Teachers are truly dedicated workers who put a lot of time and schooling into being able to teach for the rest of their lives. There are several main characteristics that every teacher needs to have to be a great teacher.... [tags: Teacher, Education, School, High school]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- What do people have to do to become a teacher , coach or both. Let me take you back in time. Back then the learned men of ancient times, by default became the teachers. Priests and prophets taught children of the wealthy and noble, the skills to take up their roles as leaders and businessmen. So in other words, people who had knowledge they passed it down. After that knowledge being passed down those people would tell someone else and so on. Back then people with power like priests and king , told people things and people trusted them and of course they listened to them.... [tags: Teacher, School, Education, High school]
1137 words (3.2 pages)
- When I was in middle school I never thought that I would be choosing a career that would involve teaching; however, when I was in 9th grade I had an awesome math teacher, Bethany Allen, who would to inspire me to become a teacher. She encouraged and loved her students so well and was always there to help them become the best they could be. Because, of my 9th grade teacher I am trying to become a teacher for elementary students. Becoming a teacher has many high times. For example, when one finally sees a student get the material that they have been struggling with.... [tags: Teacher, High school, Education, School]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- 1. Why are you interested in becoming a teacher. I am interested in becoming a teacher because I desire to help the rising generations understand their identity early on in life so that they may more quickly and effectively pursue their purpose. Most children/teens seem to lack self-awareness, and in turn, usually spend much of their time before adulthood trying to figure out who they are. I believe, and I think most people would agree with me, that someone’s identity often defines their career path in addition to life changing choices they make.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, College]
2705 words (7.7 pages)
- I am a white, heterosexual, middle class female. I am a Christian, and a Lutheran to be exact. I am active and I play sports any chance I can get. I am an Education Assistant at a daycare with a classroom of three year olds, and I am pursuing a degree to become an Elementary School Teacher. I am the only female child, stuck in the middle of an older brother and a younger brother. My primary socializations, my family, are my greatest influences in who I have become today. My first realizations of being a female came when I was six years old.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Anxiety, Girl]
1177 words (3.4 pages)