Motivation is a key component to becoming an effective follower and getting a job done. If a person is self-motivated they will be more likely to complete the task at hand quickly and more efficiently than if they had no motivation at all. Leaders will look for the person that goes out of their way, without being asked, to get a job done. It is a hassle for a manager to constantly be pushing their employee to complete a task rather than the employee motivating themselves, and doing the job at hand.
Accountability is a necessary characteristic in being a pos...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Barbara Kellerman is a unique theorist – she was one of the first theorists to focus the bulk of her research on something overlooked by other researchers: followers. Kellerman (2005) sees leadership in a way few others do: as a relationship that exists between leaders and followers and the context in which that relationship operates. By that logic followership must be an extension of leadership, rather than a result of it. Kellerman’s theories examine followers not as subordinates, but as co-participants in leadership (Ekundayo, Damhoeri, & Ekundayo, 2010).... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leader]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Are you a leader or follower at work. Often in business it is widely believed that it is best to lead than to follow. Business does need positions of both types of people in order for a business to work successfully. A leadership position is usually identified by specific roles of managers and supervisors, hence given the definition of a leader. Followers tend to be characterized by someone who is given information and direction with the task of processing or completing an assignment with pre-planed productive results, they are the one who put the plan into action and create the results.... [tags: Leadership]
1236 words (3.5 pages)
- What are the pros and cons of being a leader. Please provide specific examples. I believe someone would want to take on a leadership role within the organization because they will feel that they are capable of taking on more responsibility. The salary can also have a role in taking a leadership role. If someone was to offer me a higher salary to take on a leadership role, I probably would. Some of the pros can include making changes that will benefit the organization. Another would be leading the organization to success by making goal and having great sales.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Leader]
1802 words (5.1 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to briefly explain my personal views on the behaviors and qualities that I appreciate or dislike from others as a follower in any given situation, and as a leader in a business environment. The main focus would be to address the strengths and weaknesses of each aspect of the leader-follower role to identify what makes an effective leader. As a follower, I truly appreciate when my leaders are understanding and truly have a humanistic side within. I believe that as a human being, I deserve respect, and no one has the right to make me feel inadequate, disrespected, or humiliated.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Communication, Human]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- In order to have effective followers, you must be an effective leader. A leader must have a number of characteristics to guide a group of effective followers to success. The leader must have good characteristics to show as an example for those who are watching. For example, it is like a mother with her baby. What ever the mother does, her child is most likely to do the same thing. The mother must be a good role model because she always has a little one watching her every move. A leader is a person who guides a group to be motivated and inspired for a common goal.... [tags: Employment, Management, At-will employment, Job]
820 words (2.3 pages)
- Organizational leadership is the balance between what is optimal for the group, as well as, independent individuals ("Key Components of Organizational Leadership," 2015). From a personal viewpoint, it could be described as method in which manager’s foster people, no matter their title, to be a leader. This is because organizational leadership is both an art and science that unites both employees and organizations ("What is Organizational Leadership?," 2014) But who becomes defined as a leader. The following essay will discuss the 3 general factors that define a leader, which include the characteristics of the leader, the behavior or style of the leader, and the characteristics of the followe... [tags: Leadership, Personality psychology, Leader]
1467 words (4.2 pages)
- The insufficiencies of effective leadership that exist in today’s organizations have led me to pursue my journey into leadership. I have experienced first-hand the devastation the lack of leadership can bring to a company, from micro-managers to in-group favoritism and toxic leadership. All of these types of leaders bring company moral down and have the ability to sink an organization. I must first be a good follower in order to become a good leader. I learned this through the course of my studies in Organizational Leadership.... [tags: Leadership, Positive psychology, Leader]
2107 words (6 pages)
- Example of poor followers can be found in many places. For example, the game of follow the leader, where children place their hands on the person in front of them and follow them. Being an effective follower mean that you cannot follow someone blindly. Many studies have shown that in fact there are five major features that make up effective followers, which are, self-leadership, commitment to the organization, self-improvement, role awareness, and honest critical thinking. Hopefully after these are explained a better follower will suggest itself.... [tags: Critical thinking, Management, Thought]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- According to McConell (2012), the difference in a leader and a follower determines the success of a person regarding leadership. This chapter helps explain the content of qualities and proficiency for healthcare managers to be effective. Once again, effective management skills or certain qualifications enhance a healthcare organization environment. Healthcare managers and supervisors must have the capacity to handle challenges while the organization objectives and regulations may change over a period of time.... [tags: follower, leader, leadership styles]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Leadership has always been a diligently studied subject; the art and science of being an effective leader is something that most people would like to successfully cultivate. However, reading every book on the subject does not guarantee successful leadership – it only assists in the understanding of how others flourished in their methods. A technique that worked in one situation may reap havoc on another – such as Spartacus taking over as the leader of the people in India instead of Ghandi. The key to leading is understanding the circumstances you are in and the kind of behavior that will secure covenantal followers.... [tags: Leadership, Big Five personality traits]
703 words (2 pages)