Initially, I became interested in the Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Walden University subsequently becoming acquainted with a Walden representative, after having the privilege of being chosen by Georgia State University’s (GSU) faculty to attend The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) in Denver Colorado 2015. My interest increased after researching the program’s curriculum for the “Advanced Clinical Practice” which instructs in developing therapeutic skills. In addition, because I am soon to graduate from GSU spring 2016 with a Bachelors of Social Work (BSW), my eligibility to partake in Advanced Standing is greater than before; Walden provides this option. More importantly, Walden University is CSWE accredited. After receiving my degree, I would like to advance my career in the role of a mental health provider for the purpose of providing services that will improve the client’s psychological, physical and social functioning, with a commitment of conceiving a private practice once licensed and acquire additional expertise in the field.
I was influenced to become a social worker as it awards me to the opportunity to offer theoretically based methods, coupled with hope, resources, alternatives, and much more to the underserved. Right away I understood in order to be affective in the practice, I needed to become proficient in my craft. To further explain, particularly as a clergy affiliate, countless opportunities to deliver counseling to those in need of an advocate, resources, hopefulness, and behavioral modification, is my reality; this list is not exhaustive. Often issues were multiple, however my craft was singular. It was vital to operate from a position of strength in order to safeg...
... middle of paper ...
What interest me about Walden is it came highly recommended by Georgia State University’s faculty members in addition to its’ alumni. Moreover, I was intrigued with its outcomes which will in-turn prepare me for legal and ethical standards, advocacy, and evidence-based research to name a few. Lastly, I was captivated by the university’s longevity of forty-five years preparing students in the helping profession, again, in addition to Being CSWE accredited.
I especially chose online courses to accommodate my work schedule as I am a non-traditional student. I am very familiar and experienced with taking online courses. Although challenging, I have been very successful in my attempts over the years. I am very disciplined and focused with the ability to complete various tasks given. Because of this, I am ready to embark upon the world of online at Walden University.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have chosen social work as a profession because of my passion to help others. I want to make a difference in someone’s life and help them through the problems they are having. Whether the client needs counseling, guidance, or advocacy I want to be the person to help them. My drive for helping others and motivation to change social policies for the better is why I have chosen social work as my future profession. My career goals after completing a Master’s of Social Work degree is working with victims of domestic violence or sexual assault.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Master of Social Work]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- a. Discuss your desire to pursue a degree in Social work. Include any volunteer, work, or life experience you believe will enhance your ability to work in the social work profession. Throughout my professional career, I have had the honor of working with a variety of people. My vocational experiences have been with the young, aged, disabled, incarcerated, and the vulnerable. The combination of my professional and my personal life experiences have provided me with rich life lessons which have enhanced me with a solid generalist foundation in social work practices.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Master of Social Work]
1875 words (5.4 pages)
- ... Maintaining competency in the core values of a social worker is essential in creating a just society for all persons. It is important to always consider and respect different cultural values and ethnicities. Doing so ensures there is an equal opportunity for everyone. 2. What experiences (both personal and professional) have helped you prepare to work across differences and in multicultural environments. What challenges will you face in preparing for and doing this kind of work. On a personal level, I have experienced many levels of predicament in my life.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Master of Social Work]
1050 words (3 pages)
- ... Cory decided to become a social worker because as stated before, his mom influenced his decision to become one. He always worked in child and family programs through high school and university before deciding on a social work degree. Cory has a natural ability to engage with youths, especially male youths. I think Cory is great at his job based on the interactions I have seen with him and young males; he is a perfect role model. He didn’t have many expectations going into social work because he knew about the turnover rate and how heavy the workload is from his mom.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Master of Social Work]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction This letter includes details of my personal background, career objectives and personal evaluation relevant to the application for a Master’s of Social Work. As part of this letter, I will include personal life experiences that I consider the key characteristics of my life that have defined my character and have shaped my values and beliefs. Furthermore, I will relate my career goals and the reasons why I consider that I would be an effective clinical social work student and discuss what makes me ready for graduate school.... [tags: United States, Immigration to the United States]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- ... I purchased my house in the United States in my early thirties, I owned and lived in that house for twenty years. But due to the recession and being laid off from my full-time employment of many years, I lost my home to foreclosure. I practically lost everything I worked for and everything I owned before the recession. I am receiving food stamps right now to survive while I am attending school. I had to put my pride aside and go to the social services office in my community and stand in the long lines to apply and interview to receive food stamps; this was my second encounter with social workers in my life.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Master of Social Work]
1389 words (4 pages)
- Introduction The term social worker encompasses numerous different functions. They encompass a variety of skills which are linked, with the goal of helping individuals in need (Kirst-Ashman, & Hull, 2015). Discussed in this paper is the interview conducted with Tiernan Seaver, MSW, Program Coordinator at the CASA FAMILIAR, nonprofit community development agency, located in San Ysidro, California. The interview consisted of questions regarding Tiernan’s educational background, what brought her to the field of social work, as well as her professional work preference.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Master of Social Work]
1687 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Until this very day, social workers are continuing to serve our society with their needs and recognizing our nation’s social problems and bringing them to the public’s attention. The early social workers provided us with many privileges that we have now. Now that we have better benefits set in place, within the social work field it does not matter who’s black or white, who believes in what religion or who would rather be intimate with a man or woman because they’re rights are protected. Jane Addams, a pioneer of social work (also the first American woman to receive a Nobel Peace Prize for her amazing work) opened up a settlement house in Chicago, Illinois.... [tags: Sociology, Master of Social Work, Ethics]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- What is the title and job description of the social worker. With a passion for helping others, Mr. Fred Mignone is a licensed clinical social work. He focuses on providing psychotherapy for adults with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety and grief. After fifteen years of experience, he has determined that he loves his work and will not retire as long as he is able to speak. Describe the agency or organization with whom he/she works. What type of agency is it. What is the mission of the agency.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Master of Social Work]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- As a student who began her college career without specific objectives, I never thought I would be writing a personal statement for an application to receive a Master’s Degree in the social work profession. However, I feel now that there is no other future for me than that of offering my education and personal commitment to vulnerable individuals in order to stabilize their lives. After careful consideration of all areas of social work, I have found that my main area of interest is in providing resources and encouragement for individuals with disabilities to gain the freedom to live independent lifestyles without discrimination.... [tags: Personal Ambition]
770 words (2.2 pages)