Depression is an touchy and continually changing subject. Having depression can be a confusing and frustrating thing to deal with. Becoming depressed and having to seek help can be a stressful and complicated process, that can only further increase his or her’s depression, however depression is a terrible, but common mental illness, that can be treated and maintained with the help of others.
“Depression is a mood that goes well beyond temporarily feeling sad or blue” (Duckworth 1). Depression is when one feels out of character, by different kinds of sadness, loneliness, hopelessness, self doubt, and guilt. Usually a person feels more depressed at a time of grievance, like the loss of a loved one, or having a bad day. In most cases simple depression only last for a day in situations of small embarrassment, however if a person is feeling more depressed they will have a huge lack of energy and loss of interest in activities.
The effects of depression are not always easy to establish in any particular person. The most common symptom of depression is feeling down. When a person feels down it usually refers to their social or physical state. When one feels down socially, they are referring to their lack of ability to socialize or relate to those surrounding. When one feels down physically it has to do with their lack of energy and motivation. Another symptom of depression is not only having complete lack of energy, but a complete loss for interest in everyday tasks or activities, at one point, made the person happy.
Their are several forms of depression, including; major depression, dysthymia, and minor depression. Major depression is one of the more severe types of depression, it will have a huge imp...
... middle of paper ...
...ion. Antidepressants make a person feel less or not at all depressed, giving them more energy and confidence. Just like any medication in the the world, they have side effects. The most common side effects with anti depressants are insomnia, sleepiness, nausea, and weight gain. Some researches say that antidepressants increase the chance of suicide. Which has not been proven, although it would not be totally impossible. If a person is willing to change and keep a can do attitude, just might stay non depressed.
Dealing with depression can be an extremely difficult and frustrating process. Having to receive help, while depressed, can be an embarrassing task for some, or even dealing with a friend or family member with depression. However depression is a terrible, but common mental illness, that can be treated and maintained with the help of others.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The street is quiet, and seems like it is dead. The sounds I can hear are the leaves rustling in the breeze, and the pitter-patter sounds of raindrops falling on the ground. Together, they compose a brilliant song of nature. No din from the high-school students, no irritating noise from the car. No one, not even a soul dares to make a sound to disturb this moment. Everything is silent, as if it isn’t even alive, just like a ghost street that only emerges in the mid-night and will vanish when the first sunlight strikes down from the sky.... [tags: short story]
621 words (1.8 pages)
- Before technology, face to face communication was a normal everyday thing and loneliness was a problem that was rarely talked about or experienced. People went about their day without checking their phone every five minutes or so to see if anyone liked the status they posted or feeling lonely when nobody new liked it. In new studies more and more people have feelings of loneliness and depression. However, more people now use social medias such as Facebook, twitter and instagram. While it is true that technology mainly sites such as Facebook can lead to a person feeling alone, it is also true that it depends on how you use the technology, either to your advantage or as a depressant.... [tags: social media, depression, communication]
611 words (1.7 pages)
- Depression is a mood disorder that can occur in all types of people. Depressions affects the patient 's everyday way of living. People who have depression experience sadness, lack of appetite, lack of motivation, and much more for long periods of time. The disinterest in life is a major problem for adults and now it is a growing problem in children. Today about 15 Million people are diagnosed with depression in the United States alone. Someone with depression even at a mild dose can be affected daily.... [tags: Emotion, Feeling, Loneliness, Depression]
1383 words (4 pages)
- ... And in his wisdom he understood. Spiros Antonapoulos come off as peaceful and wise, but he's actually tormented, a bit old man a neurotic, and he had an unhealthily obsessed with him but he doesn't seem deserving of John Singer's devotion. John Singer is just as flawed and prone to misconceptions as those around him. In fact, he may be even more confused and adrift than many others in town. “This was the Spiros Antonapoulos who now was always in his thoughts. “ This was the Spiros Antonapoulos who now was always in his thoughts.... [tags: a book about lonely people, character analysis]
1812 words (5.2 pages)
- Marxism, a system of economic and political thought determined by Karl Marx, argues the owners, or capitalists, exploit the workers. This theory suggests that the class struggle has been the main agency of historical change, and supports a socialist order and a classless society. Carson McCullers novel, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, features Marxism to summarize the period of the Great Depression in an American Society. McCullers includes characters that represent working-class white-men, the generation coming of age, and a black man and woman.... [tags: society, capitalistic, exploitation]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- America has experienced several recessions and depressions in the past. Most recently, the housing crisis sparked a recession which has led to rising unemployment. The largest recession so far has been the Great Depression of the 1930s. A stock market crash in 1929 caused loss of savings which led to unemployment, lower wages, and a distrust of the banking system. The affects of it lasted into the 1940s. Franklin Roosevelt was elected president during this period; legislation he passed tried to alleviate the suffering of the public.... [tags: Economy, The Great Depression]
1661 words (4.7 pages)
- A Raindrop Falling Tears welled up in Lela 's eyes as she turned her back toward her husband while they lay in bed. She could barely breathe. She fought hard not to cry. Her heart felt so heavy as though it would burst at any moment. It was not only the words Ravi used, but also the way he had spoken to her; and the tone he used. She lied motionless, trying to scan her thoughts for any time that Ravi might have ever spoken to her in such demeanor. No, not really. He had been acting it little out of his ordinary lately.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Legal guardian, Thought]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by Wordsworth Wordsworth takes readers on a reminiscent journey in "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" reflecting upon visions of nature. The figurative language and diction used elucidate the poet's response to nature. Wordsworth uses each stanza to share his experience in nature through the image of a dance that culminates in the poet's emotional response. Wordsworth opens with reference to himself through simile as a part of the natural landscape, "I wandered lonely as a cloud / That floats on high" (Wordsworth, Line 1).... [tags: Poetry Wordsworth Lonely Cloud Essays]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCuller In Carson McCuller’s novel, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, the main theme is isolation and a search for some connection to be normal. McCuller’s traces the lives of five characters that center their lives around one main character named John Singer, a deaf-mute. These characters are representative of all people and not just their specific characters in the novel. McCuller’s is characterized as a Southern-Gothic writer, and was known for her depiction of lonely characters, as well as carefully describing the sexual alienation of their desolate lives.... [tags: Heart Lonely Hunter Carson McCuller Essays]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- Life's Simple Pleasures in William Wordsworth's I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud Edna St. Vincent Millay once wrote, "And all the loveliest things there be come simply, so it seems to me." This aphorism clearly accents the meaning of William Wordsworth's poem "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud." In his work, the speaker reminisces about a past experience in which he saw a beautiful multitude of daffodils swaying in the breeze. As he recollects this scene, the speaker gradually realizes the true beauty he had found that day.... [tags: Wandered Lonely as a Cloud]
1922 words (5.5 pages)