Persuasive Essay On Public Health

1253 Words6 Pages
We have all heard the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. This saying appears to be nothing more than a silly children’s rhyme. However, if we think about it, we still remember it and this silly little rhyme encouraged us to eat fruit. As we reflect back on our childhood many of us can recall our parents encouraging us to eat our vegetables and to go outside and play. Why did they do this? Because it was and is an essential part of our healthy growth. In present day, where technology and fast food are far more prevalent, children are receiving far less encouragement to be healthy. In order to live a healthy lifestyle children and adolescents need to spend, “60 minutes or more being physically active ("Physical Activity Guidelines…show more content…
For example the state of Florida has a new initiative titled “Healthiest Weight”. This initiative works to tackle obesity which is what they call, “the number one public health threat to Florida’s future ("HealthiestWeight")”. Another example of state health initiative is Oklahoma’s “Shape Your Future” program. This program tackles three different aspects; “eating better, moving more, and living tobacco free ("Shape Your Future")”. Through different community activities, contest, and media advertisements these programs are hoping to help improve the health of citizens throughout their respective states. The main objective that these programs are missing is preventing health issues before they become issues. This is why it’s crucial to begin initiatives at the most basic level and educate children through better physical education…show more content…
According to the Department of Health and Human Services “adults should get at least two and a half hours (150 minutes) each week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity ("Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans-)”. Unfortunately, it is estimated that only about 20% of adults are actually exercising the recommended amount ("CBSNews"). This leaves the other 80% of adults at a disadvantage. Inactivity in adults yields even more increased risk than children. Adults who do not exercise and do not get the proper nutrients are more at risk for “high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, stroke, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer ("Why Is It Important? -")”. Unlike children, adults are more aware of these risks, however adults have more reasons to be deterred. The most common reasons adults don’t exercise or eat healthy are that they don’t have time, they feel uncomfortable with their current physical condition, they lack energy due to a poor diet, or they just haven’t developed a habit for exercising ("CBSNews"). The last reason reiterates the need for better physical education

More about Persuasive Essay On Public Health

Open Document