Community service is a common service for people to take care of each other and volunteer. People apply to different community services: soup kitchen, taking care of children and homeless people, clinics, churches, schools, neighbor's house and many countless places to volunteer. Some people really enjoy to work at community services while others do not. These community services can be a punishment for criminals because a court assigns them to do so. However, some people do not agree with community service supporters. While some people believe that there should be a community service requirement for high school and college graduation because students need to learn and have experiences there, they are right; on the other hand, a community service requirement should be allowed for two reasons and not be allowed for another three reasons.
A community service requirement should be allowed for a career exploration. Community services can help people to find their careers if these careers have to do with people’s goals and plans. These community services have a lot of career options. For example, a community service at any hospitals and clinics can be beneficial for people who major in pre-med or nursing either. Additionally, other people can volunteer in these types of community services also if these people are undecided to major in a medical field. Furthermore, other types of community services: soup kitchen, neighbor's house, social services to take care of children and homeless people can help people to choose their careers to be a counselor, a teacher, a social worker, a human resource worker, a clergy, and many different types of workers to work with and help people. When people are undecided, they can go to any commun...
... middle of paper ...
...h to work with children in elementary level classroom; I helped them to be prepared for a special dancing and singing mixed event in the other side of a church. I enjoyed working in the classroom at this church, but I never thought to become a clergy, a priest or a religion-related worker because I am not really religious person. In the mean time, this community service did not help me to choose a career and explore skills and interests. However, some people would feel do not want to volunteer because they do not see what is the point of it when it has nothing to do with their plans. I concede a community service for a career exploration, but this should not be a requirement for graduation because it is unfair to people who have career plans.
A community service requirement should not be allowed to be adjusted in students’ schedules while they are in school because
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Community Service is a service that is performed for the benefit of the public or its institutions. There are two groups who perform community service, and those are criminals and the rest of us. This means that, for the majority of us, performing community service is completely voluntary. It is for this reasons li that I believe that community service should not be mandatory in high school for graduation. The supporters of this act think of it as an ideal society’s noble concept, but it is rather a noble concept trying to force an ideal society.... [tags: voluntary, criminals, teenagers]
540 words (1.5 pages)
- Many people see it as a responsibility to help out the community. Others see it as a waste of time. Although it looks very good on a college application, many teens do not participate in community service. Community service may seem like a waste of time or not a priority for teens. Knowing that around the nation some school have community service as a graduation requirement may startle many people. In my personal opinion I think that for some teens and kids that attend high school community service should be a requirement for some classes.... [tags: Community service, Old age, Middle age]
1035 words (3 pages)
- In an article written by Linda Saslow titled High School Mandating Community Service for Graduation, she mentions the many pros to mandatory community service. Saslow mentions school districts like Roslyn and Hewlett-Woodmere (1994, para 3) that have started requiring high school students to complete a certain number of community service hours in order to graduate high school. Their goal is to give “kids the opportunity for new experiences” (Saslow, 1994, para 4). Through research conducted by the school districts, they have come to the conclusion that students who would’ve been “too shy to volunteer have admitted that they were glad they had been forced”.... [tags: High school, College, School district]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- This semester I had the opportunity to partake in two different service experiences that spanned over the length of the semester. The first was with my Fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. and the Boys Scout troop that we sponsor called Troop 1911. The second is a partnership with the YLC New Orleans that I personally took part in putting together. The community service outreach with both have been extremely rewarding because in both instances I am granted the opportunity to mentor and work with kids.... [tags: Police, Constable, Police officer]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- Many college students will find themselves asking, “How am I to pay for school?” and it often seems to go unanswered. In recent years, many programs have developed to offer students a solution to that problem. The solution is volunteering. Whether you have a specific interest such as disease control, developing communities, medicine, or simply to just volunteer your time, these programs offer a versatility that is unparalleled. These programs take recently graduated or current students and help them to optimize their skills in a setting in which they can grow from, all while paying off their student loans.... [tags: Contribution to My Community]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Throughout their careers, students are asked to complete a variety of tasks. These tasks can vary from homework, to studying for the SAT, being involved in a sport, and participating in community service. The predicament comes into action when administrative faculty are left with the question of whether or not this service should be required to graduate. Although many may argue otherwise, it is clear that community service should be required because it encourages the progress of students at school, gives them exposure to the world, and provides students with knowledge that is inaccessible at school.... [tags: Education, Service Opportunities, Students]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Imagine a typical teen, they have a job, homework, sports, and other extracurriculars. They don’t get home till late at night and they are exhausted. This teen can take much more and thankfully they are about to graduate, but wait the school wants them to fit in one hundred of community service into that schedule in order to graduate. How on earth is this busey teen suppose to do that with all that they have going on. Students should not have to do one hundred hours of community service to graduate high school.... [tags: personal narrative]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- When a woman approached Benjamin Franklin following the concluding session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in the fall of 1787 and asked what sort of government the delegates had come up with, Franklin famously replied: "A republic, madam, if you can keep it." The relevance of that notable statement transcended centuries and applied itself not only to national politics. The People’s participation in maintaining an agreeable government depends on a collective activism regarding both state and local civic affairs.... [tags: Service Learning Teaching Education]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Let me begin by saying that I am very honored to be addressing the County High School Class of 2012 as students of this institution for the last time. We've spent these last four years creating some serious memories: four years of chieftain power, leaking roofs, questionable Homecoming skits, and musical principals. Four years of good teachers, bad teachers, new teachers, old teachers. Four years of youth, music, growing up and breaking free. Four rubber chickens, four yearbooks, four ASB presidents and four chubby bunnies.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- When we arrived at Douthitt High School as freshmen, the buildings in our school showed the signs of their 40 years of age. It might be hard to think back to that time when there was a landscaped yard in front of the cafeteria instead of a concrete courtyard, and when the grassy knoll our students enjoy on a rare sunny day didn't exist. After a few noisy years of construction, we now have a modern school. In our time here, it has gone through a complete change from old and mature, to fresh and new.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
939 words (2.7 pages)