I enjoyed reading as far back as I can remember. Books, magazines, newspapers - anything I could get my hands on, I would read. In the early 1990’s with the availability of the internet I could easily type in a few words of my choice and I would get a return of information. I took it for granted that the hits were information; but some of the websites were opinions and not necessarily facts. Today, use a few strategies to quickly scan a website for authenticity by using either a web page evaluation checklist published by UC Berkeley1 or S.P.I.D.E.R.2 which is the acronym for Source, Purpose, Information, Domain, Educational, and Reliability.
I choose to evaluate the website http://www.dhmo.org/ with the web page evaluation checklist. It is broken into five categories; Look at the URL, Scan perimeter of page to answer specific questions, Look for quality indicators, What do others say? and Does it all add up? I go through the first process. I begin by clicking on the link and it takes me to a very colorful page organized in three columns. First column is headed Special Reports and there are links below. The second column is centered on the web page and is titled Welcome. The third c...
... middle of paper ...
... S.P.I.D.E.R. a strategy for evaluating websites.(technology connection) (source, purpose, information, domain, educational, and reliability). Worthington: Linworth Publishing Company.
3Jonassen, D., Kim, B., (2010). Arguing to learn and learning to argue: design justifications and guidelines. Educational Technology Research & Development. 58(4). 439-458.
Scott, S. (2009). Perceptions of students' learning critical thinking through debate in a technology classroom: A case study. Journal of Technology Studies. 34(1): 39-45.
Angeli, E., Wagner, J., Lawrick, E., Moore, K., Anderson, M., Soderlund, L.,
& Brizee, A. (2010, May 5). General format. Retrieved from
Engle, Michael (2012, September 19) Cornell Universtiy: http://olinuris.library.cornell.edu - Evaluating Web Sites: Criteria and Tools
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sometimes we are indeed our own worst critic. Growing up I always struggled in certain areas of school. Seeing some of my peers excel almost effortlessly in school made me think that perhaps I just was not as smart as them. Along the way, I realized that was not true at all. It turns out we all have strengths and weaknesses. Although I struggled with math, I always did exceptionally well in English. I just had to figure out what I was not good at and spend a little extra time and effort in those areas.... [tags: Learning, Intelligence, Educational psychology]
1601 words (4.6 pages)
- Blogger vs. WordPress the Winner Revealed There are so many website hosting platforms and websites available on the internet for blogging purposes and many others. Two very eminent names which come to mind when it comes to blog hosting is Blogger and WordPress. Since newbies find it very difficult as to which of these two to choose, it is very imperative for everybody who would love to own a blog get know the differences in features that they both share and have. They both have some features which clearly differentiate them and clearly make one win when it comes to which of them is the best.... [tags: Blog, Blogger, Website, Pyra Labs]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- We are a website development company that is focused solely on the quality of our work and the efficiency of our website design and development operations performed by our experienced design teams. We offer a wide variety of website development options guaranteed to be effective in making your website stunning and captivating to any customers or visitors that you may receive. Professional Web Design Company Web applications are continuing to expand and have become more complicated than they once were.... [tags: Website, Web design, World Wide Web, Design]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- A Critique of “OPEC” – The Website OPEC stands for “Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries” and is comprised of the largest oil-producing nations of the world. Through OPEC, these Member Countries work together to control the price and availability of oil--one of the most significant commodities in today’s worldwide economy. Founded in September of 1960 with headquarters in Vienna, the OPEC organization is currently comprised of twelve member countries (History of OPEC, 1). OPEC’s mission is defined in a formal organizational statute that identifies their role “to coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order t... [tags: Website Review]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- This report gives a critique of The Times Online website using a number of design aspects which include searchability, Navigation, usability, design, interactivity and content. The main problems identified in the website include a mixture of main content with advertisement content, too long pages and some of the images appearing to be quite blurred. The recommendations for redesign include separating advertisement content from the main content by placing it on top of the page just before the logo, shortening the pages and using hyperlinks to get to various sections and using high resolution images on the site.... [tags: the times, navigation, website]
2018 words (5.8 pages)
- The website that has been chosen to be evaluated by me is IKEA’s website. IKEA website is actually one of the profit-making website. The website enables people to choose for their items and make a list before they make a real purchase at the real IKEA store. Basically, IKEA store is a store that provides home furnishing products such as sofas, beds, kitchen stuff, toiletries and some others. And even more, they had a showroom to inspire people to decorate their own house. So, in the website, there is also a preview of the showroom as it will helps for those that did not get a chance to go to the IKEA store.... [tags: Website Evaluation Essays]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- Produce a new look for a website. 3.1.2 Formal Report =================== The problem that was in need of solving was to produce a new look for wow.com to target the 17 to 25 year olds. The look that the company were trying to aim for was young, energetic, dynamic and flexible. I firstly set out by comparing some current documents such as flyers, letters and invoices. This helped me as I could gather the best parts from these documents and use them to give me ideas to create new ones. The documents that I selected had to be 3 of a kind that were from three companies with two of a flyer and a letter.... [tags: Computer Science]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- Critique of a Website Web sites are just like magazines, newspapers, brochures, menus, or even directions on how to make nitroglycerin from house-hold goods, in that they all have to be put together in such a manner that whoever is reading or browsing over it will be able to clearly distinguish this from that. In this sense, a critique of any particular web site will have justification, while carefully considering also that this is an altogether new medium of information exchange. Now, all of this talk of togetherness is actually a general reference to basic design principles, such as color coordination, if color is used, text size, font choice/ style, art integration, accessibility, and j... [tags: Website Design Analysis Essays Papers]
1625 words (4.6 pages)
- Investigation Report on Website Development For a website to be successful, you must have clear identified goals and compelling content that draws your audience to your site again and again. A good site requires a delicate balance between content, visual appeal and technology, but most of all content (Leonard-Wilkonson, n.d.). Knowledge of the market, product or service and business environment is also essential if you are going to improve business (Barnett & O'Rourke, 2006).... [tags: Website Development Web Internet E-Commerce]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- How Much Working Capital Will I Need When I Buy a Website. Question: If you buy a business and you're getting a loan, how much capital should you have available until the business starts generating income. For example, if I have $100,000 should I be looking for a business that's $50,000 keeping some back or should I look for a business that's over and try to find financing for the overage. Answer: Thank you for your excellent question. Believe it or not, many buyers overlook this and wind up in trouble soon after they acquire a business.... [tags: Sell Website Buy Website]
661 words (1.9 pages)