Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among teenagers. With 80% of teen females and 15% of teen males being or attempting to be anorexic, it is surprising that it is not higher up on the list. Anorexia is the most common negative view shown on media. On the social media site Tumblr, pro-anorexic blogs have become a popular trend to follow and many show images of models with captions reading "I want to be able to sit down and have my thighs not touch," (My Pro). The truth is, however, that the average model is 23% under their ideal weight. The average US model weighs 117 pounds and is 5'11" while the average US woman weighs 140 pounds and is only 5'4". This causes perspective to see those far too skinny as beautiful and the normal weight to seem more than it is. In a recent study when asked if they were overweight, 75% of the women answered yes and only 25% of them were. (Perfect) Social media has swayed beliefs of the past by making the thin want to be thinner and those who believe themselves to be overweight feel as if reaching their correct BMI is impossible.
Up to 80% of those who are anorexic also suffered from a major form of depression. Due...
... middle of paper ...
...kins, Kristal. "Megan Meier: Mistaken MySpace Suicide." Vengeance — — Crime Library. N.p., 17 Nov. 2007. Web. 03 Apr. 2014.
"My ProAna Lifestyle ^.^." My ProAna Lifestyle ^.^. Im_fat.tumblr.com, 25 Aug. 2013. Web. 07 Apr. 2014.
“Perfect Illusions.” PBS. PBS, n.d. Web.04 Apr. 2014"
"South Carolina Department of Mental Health." Eating Disorder Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Apr. 2014.
“Teens That Use Facebook Are 5 Times More Likely to Smoke, 3 Times More Likely to Drink and Twice as Likely to Use Marijuana." CHOOSE HELP. N.p., 24 Aug. 2011. Web. 03 Apr. 2014.
Wade, T. D., and Kohn A. Gonzalez. "EDV - Key Research and Statistics." EDV - Key Research and Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2014.
Waithera, Christine. "5 Social Skills Social Media Has Destroyed." 5 Social Skills Social
Media Has Destroyed. N.p., 5 Sept. 2013. Web. 03 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Nowadays, it is not only common to have social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, but expected. Many people know the numerous benefits of signing-up for these accounts: keeping in touch with friends, being able to organize information and photographs, keeping track of dates or news, and many more. However, new research suggests that the use of these social media networks, specifically Twitter, can cause great unhappiness in relationships (“Twitter use…”). It appears that the social media page can act as a third member of the relationship.... [tags: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram,]
1948 words (5.6 pages)
- “I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time –Betty White (“Betty White Quotes,” 2014, para. 1).” This quote can be interpreted to fit with several of the social media avenues that many people spend their time on. Day in and day out people post, tweet, share, and pin countless times throughout the world. These different forms of communication were first created for an easier way for people to connect with others. Yet now, so much time is spent on these social sites that it has warped the interactive part and is causing more damage than good.... [tags: Sociology, Communication]
1942 words (5.5 pages)
- Social media is so popular that according to a recent article published by forbes.com, “72% of American adults are currently using social media sites; that figure has gone up 800% in just 8 years”(Olenski). Social networking was originally created to simply reconnect people with old high school pals, but in recent years it has evolved into a completely different operation. When social media first originated it was also intended for adult usage, which has in recent years expanded into the usage of all ages.... [tags: dangerous addiction, self esteem problems]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- When you think about social media what do you think of. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Vine. Well social media is more than that. Social media is not just Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Social media is any online website that lets you interact with other people, share photo and information and keeps you updated. Or do you think about how it’s made a positive or negative impact on today’s society. In my personal opinion I think social media has made both positive and negatives impacts on today’s society .Some of the negative impacts are cyberbullying and addiction, and the positive impacts are spreading the word and increasing business sales.... [tags: communication technology and websites]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Today technology has created new styles of communication on the internet for us all. This technology has made great impact on everyday life in today’s society. Cyber communications have become hugely popular in the last decade, especially those websites that help people to find new or old friends, keep in touch with families, and even help people to find potential dates. The numbers of people using cyber social networking are growing in millions every year. Cyber social networks have helped people link to each other with common interests, and expand personal ideas and support worldwide.... [tags: Negative Effects of Social Media]
2142 words (6.1 pages)
- ... With event pages, one can see what is occurring in the community as well as events that may interest them. People that the user knows can also invite the individual to the events as well, bringing a bigger community together into one event. Facebook also provides games that allow one to send out game request such as ‘Candy Crush’ or ‘Farmville’ (Facebook, 2011) to anyone who does or doesn’t play the game, and to ask them to aid in helping solve a level or get supplies needed to achieve the goal: this allows the individual to interact with strangers and make new connections and probably new friends in the making.... [tags: interpersonal, communication, conflict]
1509 words (4.3 pages)
- Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter allow you to find and connect with just about anyone, from old high school friends to co-workers and neighbors. Participating in social media sites such as these can make you feel more connected, but such an easy, casual connection in an electronic environment can also have its downside. First of all sites like Facebook promote sharing details of our lives with one another. Posts can range from a simple update on what shows someone is watching, cooking for dinner, or pictures of you and your friends having drinks and doing shots at a local bar.... [tags: Social Networking, Social Media]
374 words (1.1 pages)
- ... “While social media lingo may send English teachers into a tailspin, experts have pondered whether proper English grammar may be on a road to extinction in the brave new world of emoticons, texts, tweets, and short Facebook posts” (Alix, 2012). Poor grammar skills like incorrect spelling or punctuation can leave readers with the perception that the writer is lazy or not as well educated. The way one speaks, verbally and written, should give a representation of who they are. Interpersonal skills deal with one’s social interaction and ability to build relationships.... [tags: modern communication technology]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- “Is it Facebook official?” Most individuals know exactly what this question means and have more than likely asked it at some point. Essentially, asking someone, “Is it Facebook official?” is equivalent to confirming the relationship status of two individuals. In today’s society, if people do not “tweet” about the situation at hand or post a picture, then they feel a sense of loss in keeping up with their social media persona. When you go to a restaurant, take the time to look around. What do you see.... [tags: social media, internet communication]
1676 words (4.8 pages)
- Social networking has become a means of communication in the present world and has become an important part of one’s lives. It is no longer in their infancy stage since its emergence it continued to offer its customers with a variety and meaningful ways through which they can engage people and events. Besides this, the social networking sites are creating some potential harm to the society. Students are becoming the main victims of them rather than anyone else. The main negative effects of social networking include cyber bullying and security issues and several techniques are to be practiced to protect from these dangers.... [tags: Technology, Cyber Bullying, Social Media]
970 words (2.8 pages)