There I was running around and playing while everyone grieved. I had no knowledge of what we were gathered for, all I knew was that it was fun to pretend I was Alice in wonderland. The halls and walls lined up with flowers and flowered ornaments all throughout the house. The house wasn’t as dull as it would usually be, it was alive with colors now. My little black shoes shiny and cute with a big black bow right in the center, and my sparkly fluffy dress stood out from all the others. This vivid yet faint memory of what I thought was a family reunion was really my grandmother’s wake. My mother’s eyes swollen and red from all her crying, I thought if she would only eat something maybe she wouldn’t feel like crying so much. I remember standing by her side as everyone would approach her one after another, people would just keep coming. No wonder my mom felt so bad, these people just wouldn’t leave her alone. Meanwhile, I waited patiently for my grandma to wake up and get up from that box she had been laying in all day. The last few days she had been laying around a lot I thought to myself. Everything was just going on and all my grandma would do was sleep. The box seemed comfy though, it was big as my bed, and it was lined up with fluffy material inside that looked like heavenly pillows. I now know that the box is called a coffin. At that time I was just five years old always thinking I was older since everyone always treated me like I was. I grew up very quickly, since I was the baby of the family and my siblings were twenty years apart I was always around grownups and rarely any kids, at least not my age kids. The only kids around me were my cousins who were around twelve years old or more. So, there I was playing around in a time...
... middle of paper ...
...literally overnight. Ultimately, I just didn’t really want to be a big kid after all. I wanted my mom to come and hold me while I laid on her chest and fell asleep like usual. I took my shoes off and set off in search of my mom whom seemed to be a stranger all night long. When I finally found my mom it seemed she was waiting for me, she picked me up and took me to bed. Instead of laying down with me she changed my clothes in a rush, gave a kiss and put me in my bed. No talking, cuddling, or the sweet motherly stuff she would usually do. She closed the door and told me to stay in my room now. I thought to myself, Gosh this big kid stuff is really ruff.
Looking back on it all, I must have been a little pain in the ass girl. Running around while everyone sobbed and cried. But it was that innocence that lets me look back on my grandmother’s wake as such an exciting time.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- We hope this Christmas greeting leaves you well and in good spirits. Our family had a really lovely summer. In May, Brett and I got a little get a way to the Florida Keys. Then in July, we went to my Dad and Mom’s family reunion in California. And believe it or not, I got Brett to go with us. We had a wonderful trip and it was nice to spend the time together. The next family reunion is in Las Vegas, and we going to try to be there. We have a new addition to the family zoo. Mr. Lucky Star AKA Pinky Brown (has pink eyelids and mouth).... [tags: High school, Academic term, William Wesley]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- My bravest moment that I could remember is when I saved my mom from being attacked by a pit bull named, Hulk. The incident all took place on summer vacation, in my hometown in Oakland, California. For one second I figured I that I could finally enjoy living the “California dream,” but it was not what I expected at all. On that day I remember that we were hosting a family reunion from my mother’s side. It was a perfect day where all of our family would come together and enjoy each others presence in one whole.... [tags: Family, English-language films, Thought]
1056 words (3 pages)
- The Family Reunion T.S. Elliott's "The Family Reunion" is a play about the return to home, and the looking back at ghosts of the past. The play starts with Harry returning to his boyhood home for his mother's birthday. The plot centers around Harry's return, the mystery surrounding his wife's death, and his family's desire to have Harry take over the role as head of the household. It's an anticipated return, one that they all have been waiting for. There are concurrent plots threading through the work, such as the mystery involving his own father's death and disappearance, Harry's schizophrenia and Mary's return to the family as well as her inability to leave.... [tags: Reunion]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Once there was a large magnificent family. A group of people who included a doctor, a lawyer, a preacher and even a high school coach. Besides the weekly Saturday morning breakfasts for the local family members, once a year they would all get together, the local and the far away alike, at the mountain house for a wonderful family reunion. In the rather large family of ten siblings, in this particular year, there would be six different sibling families represented. Each one of the siblings’, groups were very happy to be getting together with their family.... [tags: Family, Sibling, Son, Household]
713 words (2 pages)
- I'm Pregnant- Original Writing- "Incomplete Esssay" Background Information:- Young girl of sixteen called Cathy has found out that she is pregnant; she has decided to break the news to her long term boyfriend named Conner who is seventeen. Cathy is very nervous about the situation as she does not know how Conner is going to react. Cathy has known she is pregnant for a week but it has taken her this long to build up the courage to say something. To make matters worse her parents come from a strongly religious Catholic background which means if she tells her parents she could face having no moral support as sex before marriage is not approved and abortions are... [tags: Original Writing Personal Narrative]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- I looked out the window of the car as we turned off the paved road onto a dirt lane like my family had done so many times before. When I got out of our Olive-green new ford van **, I kicked at the dirt that found its place under my feet. I admired the ladybug that had landed on my shoulder until I shooed it off. I watched as it flew towards the house in front of me. I looked at the chipped white paint on the front of the old house for a while until I began walking towards it. ▼▲▼▲ I looked up to see the family members I had not seen in a year and a half and some I had never met before.... [tags: Family, Rooms, Bedroom, Table]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Four years ago if you asked me how I picture my family, I would say that they are the best and I would never ask for anything else but now my mindset is completely changed. Approximately two years ago I found out that my mom had been cheating on my dad. Maybe it could have been forgiven if it was with a stranger and not with my uncle or it was only once not six years but nevertheless, my heart felt like it broke. As devastating as the day we found out was, it was the battle afterwards that was the hardest.... [tags: Family, Parent, Mother, Sibling]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- I remember it so vividly; I was at home with my little brother and older sister while my mom went on one of her three hour grocery trips where she’d come home with no groceries. But this time it was different, she came home and came into the house crying, she told my sister, Beena, and I that she needed to talk to us outside. My mom proceeded to tell us that she had been somewhere that she was not supposed to be and my dad saw her. My dad had known that something was going on, he just needed the evidence.... [tags: Family, Sibling, Mother, Parent]
1729 words (4.9 pages)
- One morning I was woken by my mom who was in a panic. I was told to wake up and go to her room. I was so scared and worried and I could not figure out what was going on. Soon after I sat on her bed my little sister had joined me. Then soon after that my brother is walking in with my mom right behind. We were all still half asleep and confused by what was happening. I remember looking at my sister and her saying to me “Its daddy…” I did not know what to think. Maybe he got hurt, maybe he was sick.... [tags: Family, Sibling, Parent, Mother]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Family Tradition Eyes glowing in excitement, body squirming in thrill for the weekend that is about to happen. My mom asks me “Are you all packed and ready to go to the cabin?” I reply anxiously “YES,YES, yes!” Every year on July third, fourth and fifth of July my family gathers at my family’s lake cabins. It is like a huge party only for the Scott’s. My family has property on Mokins Bay on Hayden Lake there is a total of four lake cabins all right next to each other. My dad and his two brother’s each have one for them and their families and then his parents have the biggest one in the middle of all of them.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, English-language films]
1109 words (3.2 pages)