In the summer issue of “Flare” Magazine 2016, Ellie Goulding reveal that she dealt with severe anxiety early in her career. The 29 years old British songwriter told the magazine that her symptoms were intrusive, especially since her career has took off.
“My surrounding would trigger a panic attack, so I couldn’t go to the studio unless I was lying down in the car with a pillow over my face.” Goulding said. Eysenck’s personality theory explains the panic attack. Eysenck’s original research found two main dimensions of temperament: neuroticism and extraversion-introversion. We will be looking at neuroticism.
Eysenck gave the name neuroticism to a dimension that range from normal, calm and collected people to one’s that tend to be quite “nervous.” Since everyone seems to fit somewhere in his data-pool, Eysenck was convinced that this was a was a genetically-based, physiologically-supported dimension of personality. He first looks at the sympathetic nervous system, which functions separately from the central nervous system and controls much of our emotional responsiveness to emergency situations. The function of sympathetic nervous system is to say that is prepare us for “fight or flight.”
Eysenck hypothesized that some people are more responsive to the sympathetic system than other. Some people remain clam during emergencies, some experience considerable amount of fear or other emotions, and other are terrified by even very small minor incident. He explained that the latter group had a problem of sympathetic hyperactivity, which made them prone to various neurotic disorder. The root of neurotic symptoms is the panic attack. Eysenck explained that there is a pattern for panic attack: s...
... middle of paper ...
...lenge and take control over their anxiety. According to Goulding, the CBT has enabled her to have control over her anxiety and curb her panic attack: “There were a couple of times after I released ‘Delirium’ when I was doing promo and thought, ‘Oh god, it’s coming back, it’s coming back,’ but it didn’t. I think my body has become quite good at controlling anxiety.”
Although it took several years for Goulding to come out her problems with self-image and panic attack, her resulting positivity and assurance can be seen as a motivation to those who suffer with their own insecurities and worries. It is recommended that the individual who struggling with anxiety to seek help before things get out of control. With the right treatment and outlook, we too can be like Goulding, overcome self-doubt and worry and come the other side as a stronger, and more confident individual.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It is almost the end of my first semester here at Converse College, and that just doesn’t seem real. My life has both changed completely and stayed rather the same since high school. Music has always been a large part of my life, but now my life literally revolves around music. And that both stress me out and gives me great joy. Since my last reflection paper life has continued on. I have continued to deal with the death of Remie, I have injured myself and learned things from it, and I have almost made it through my first semester of college.... [tags: Mind, Thought, American films, Psychology]
711 words (2 pages)
- INTERLUDE: ELLIE (In Mourning?) When Jack, Ellie’s husband dies, she doesn’t seem to be as depressed as she should be. Her family and friends whisper behind her back, wondering when the shock will set in. Actually she should be angry over the way he died, but the truth is she is very calm and you might say even a bit happy. Ellie feels free for the first time in twenty-five years. A plan had been formulating ever since Aunt Martha passed away and Ellie was her sole beneficiary. A secret she never told Jack or any of the family, that includes Tom and Mary, her two grown children.... [tags: Want, English-language films, WANT, Debut albums]
1507 words (4.3 pages)
- In the memoir Night by Ellie Wiesel, humanity is threatened only for a limited time. Humanity is threatened only when evil triumphs over good. In Night, the Nazis did, in fact, defeat good for a little while, but only to fall to the never-dieing purity of the light side. Evil triumphed in every event, from the successful caputure to the killing of many servers of the good side, but lost in the end to good side with a finale like the 2007 NFL season. The first time good was truly defeated and humanity was threatened was when the Nazi soldiers finished rounding up the Jews of Sighet and got them to the concentration camps.... [tags: Nazi Germany, Elie Wiesel, Adolf Hitler]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- While The Last of Us tells in vivid detail the story of Joel and Ellie, the main characters of the game, there is a twenty year gap between the prologue mission and the first chapter; the events of which we only know about through a vague “world went to shit” ideal and the artifacts gathered throughout the game. With that being said I am going to do my best to analyze the artifacts I found during my first play through of the game, and piece them together inside the two decades of blurry space and paint a time line that we can grasp.... [tags: Father, Mother, The Gathering]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- ... Shortly after his father died the war ended. Elie ended up being liberated by the United States third army in January 1945. During his time in the holocaust, Elie had many problems with a person trying to take his gold crown off his tooth, his foot swelling up from the cold, and his father dying. The person who ended up taking Elie’s gold crown took it out with a rusty spoon. He survived the Holocaust by trying his hardest; working in the camp to show he was not weak and showed he was healthy, especially when there was a selection for those to be executed.... [tags: survival, concentration camp]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- The Holocaust survivor Abel Herzberg has said, “ There were not six million Jews murdered; there was on murder, six million times.” The Holocaust is one of the most horrific events in the history of mankind, consisting of the genocide of Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, mentally handicapped and many others during World War 2. Adolf Hitler was the leader of Nazi Germany, and his army of Nazis and SS troops carried out the terrible proceedings of the Holocaust. Elie Wiesel is a Jewish survivor of the Nazi death camps, and suffers a relentless “night” of terror and torture in which humans were treated as animals.... [tags: Holocaust Survivor. Memoir]
1402 words (4 pages)
- Philosophers are often tempted to find out the hidden meanings behind the apparent reality. A lot of valuable contributions to that particular philosophical topic were made by Plato. Much of contemporary philosophy is still being based upon what he had left behind. Also, many other themes developed by philosophers can be related to Plato`s vision of reality and form. William Goulding in his essay, ‘Thinking as a Hobby’ assigns three grades to thinkers based on their understanding of the world and their perceptions of truth.... [tags: philosophy, Plato, Goulding]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- The Advantage and Disadvantages of Medi-Cal Budget Cuts About five years ago, my doctor told me I am a Type 2 diabetic. As a result, I have experienced an array of other health problems due to diabetes. My vision has gotten worse and I experience frequent toothaches. Recently, I was unable to receive treatment for my serious dental problem by a dentist. I had apses on the top and bottom of my mouth. As a result, I missed numerous days of class and my instructors almost dropped me from their class.... [tags: California Healthcare]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Dr. Molloy, owner of Medi-Exam Health Services (MEHS), has a seemingly “good problem” within his medical practice. Based on an income statement for the month of August, MEHS had profited $4,000 more than estimated by the profitgraph put together by his accountant. Although this may seem okay due the nature of estimation that comes with profitgraph analysis, Dr. Molloy needs to investigate and understand the root of the discrepancy between the outputs. In order to investigate this issue, Dr. Molloy must first identify some key financial components within his medical practice.... [tags: Variable cost, Costs, Management accounting]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Why did I live. Why did I breathe?”(pg.20). To Elie, prayer was a natural habit that he participated in daily despite not having a solid reason to. During the Holocaust, Jews had used their religion as a last ditch effort to blame their misfortunes on. “And in spite of myself a prayer rose to my heart to that God in whom I no longer believed”(pg.87). Regardless of how much Elie wanted to reject his faith in God, there was a part of him that reverted to his old habit of praying. Ultimately the Jewish faith could not save them from their demise “For who has served me more faithfully than you with your coward’s hope?” (The Hangman).... [tags: jewish, hitler, nazis]
566 words (1.6 pages)