Pablo Picasso has nothing on this guy! Coming out of Wimbledon, England, Marcus Mumford sports an educated background and a great voice. He stands in the front of Mumford and Sons, a four man folk band. The name of the band represents a family atmosphere, even though none of them are in any way related. In the beginning, there were no big arenas, no sold out shows, nor any crazy fans. They were playing on the sidewalk in their hometown. Although now they sell out every show they play, they have still kept that “sidewalk mentality”; they do what they do for the love of the music, not for the money, especially since they come from affluent British families. They now have some of the most loyal fans in all of music; many of those fans have not even been able to see them yet. The fame would not be present if they did not have the man in front, with a raspy voice that brings goose bumps to all of us. Marcus Mumford proves his artistry to the world through his lyrics, his unique style, and the atmosphere he is able to create for the audience.
Take the time to listen to any one of their songs off of Sigh no more, and listen to the lyrics, each one will have a specific and deep meaning. Marcus Mumford creates this feeling himself through his incredible lyrical gift. When he is asked where he gets it from, he will tell you that, since he went to Edinburgh University (Lester), he has read a lot of Shakespeare. He often replies when asked about his lyrics that he likes to “…rip off Shakespeare or the Bible…”partly because "You can rip off Shakespeare all you like; no lawyer's going to call you up on that one" (Pearson). On albums of most artists you will always find a bad song or two, but with them, there...
... middle of paper ...
... with his own views. Mumford’s style also sculpts the artist in him, with his unusual genre and bizarre appearance. Mumford can get any crowd jumping through the use of his kick drum and his own love for all the songs he sings. If this new Indie Folk genre takes off, Mumford will be the one responsible.
Lester, Paul. "No 304: Mumford & Sons." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 14 Apr. 2008. Web. 14 Mar. 2012.
"Mumford & Sons." - Biography. Web. 14 Mar. 2012.
"Mumford and Sons." Storytellers: Unplugged. Palladia. 9 Feb. 2012. Television.
"Music Snobbery." Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons: The MusicSnobbery.com Interview -. 14 May 2010. Web. 14 Mar. 2012.
Pearson, Rick. "The Bookshop Band Mumford & Sons." The Evening Standard. 11 Sept. 2009. Web. 18 Mar. 2012.
ROCKERRAZZI. "Jared Sagal Interviews Mumford and Sons EXCLUSIVE!!!" YouTube.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How To Get Luscious Eyelashes. Overview Beauty is what most people appreciate in life. That is why ladies are always on the struggle of trying to look more beautiful. Mascara and eye shadow are some of the makeup that they apply on the eye. Their main aim of mascara is to make the eyelashes more appealing. There is nothing as beautiful in the eye as long luscious eyelashes. How to obtain it still remains a question in the women’s beauty research. Most have tried both natural and artificial ways to enhance them; others worked while others have failed.... [tags: Cosmetics, Eye, Mascara, Eyelash]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- 'in Just- ' Poem Analyzation What is the a year without spring. Spring is one of the most majestic occasions of the year. It is during the spring time when plants and flowers are blooming with heavenly colors and fragrant odors. In the spring, children dash around in their yards while letting out chuckles. They play games in the flawless weather during this perfect time of year. The sun's shine is more vivid than ever now that winter has passed weeks ago. Who would not want to reminisce this spectacular moment of life.... [tags: poetry, spring, literary tools]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- Throughout the emotional lyrics of Tupac Shakur’s song “Dear Mama”, he constantly reveals trial and tribulation. Shakur sympathetically expresses the obstacles he endures due to the undying support of his mother who displays sacrificial love. He explains the abnormal circumstances in which his family undergoes such as poverty, single parenting, and even feelings of hopelessness. Shakur characterizes his mother as a heroic figure, who outshines the negative aspects of his life by providing the essentials only a mother could both physically and morally instill in her child.... [tags: music]
660 words (1.9 pages)
- Music has been under scrutiny on behalf of censorship for decades. Censorship is defined as an authorization to examine material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable. Lyrics are essential to nearly everything in music; its poems, ballads, monologues, etc. They may take the form of actual spoken or sung sounds or of written words, as literature does. Without the musical component, you’re left with literature and words; this leaves the heated debate as to whether music should be censored or not.... [tags: Censorship]
1063 words (3 pages)
- “I 'm living in that 21st Century doin ' something mean to it, do it better then anybody you ever seen do it, screams from the haters got a nice ring to it, I guess every superhero need his theme music.” Many people believe modern day Hip-Hop contains nothing but blasphemy, profanity and references to narcotics, despite these contrary beliefs Hip-Hop is still an outlet for rappers/artists to express their thoughts and opinion through lyrical composition. Artist work night and day to compose what they see as a masterpiece, they always wish to create new and better works from their pervious album.... [tags: Kanye West, The College Dropout, Jay-Z, Nas]
1153 words (3.3 pages)
- Music Censorship is not a new Idea though since its development it has changed and morphed into what it is today. With its implementation, also came the debates. Is music censorship to protect our virtue or is there an alternative underlining reason that only a certain style of music gets censored. Also, what extent should the enforcers be allowed to go to pursue to censor our music. "Censorship is at best problematic and at worst dangerous when it tries to silence the voice of the powerless at the behest of the powerful." (Censorship, 2006) While music censorship is meant to protect the masses, people should have the freedom to express themselves musically.... [tags: music censorship]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Therapy Through Song-Writing As music varies around the world so does a cultures use of the songs and lyrics created. Songwriters may quickly scribble words down on a piece of paper or have a melody running in their head, with the anticipation that those sounds and words will turn into lyrics for a song. A song or melody may spark both positive and negative feelings in each person’s life, especially by the author. Music is used for countless activities (ceremonies, celebrations), therefore the ideas discussed in this paper focus on whether the song writing process acts as a therapy outlet.... [tags: Music ]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- Women's Roles as Objects in Music This past week's readings were very interesting to me, largely because I pride myself on being somewhat of a popular culture aficionado, and the role of women in music is an intriguing idea to think about and reflect upon. The article "Greatest Hits: Domestic Violence in Country Music" was an interesting reflection upon women's transition in American country music. When I read it though, it struck me how the reading perceived as though domestic violence is not an extremely important issue still in the United States.... [tags: Women Females Music ]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- Punk music is usually defined by power chords, raw vocals and high energy performance. Punk rock is the best music ever created. It is, in short, a thinking man’s rock music. And to some, it’s like God himself ordained punk rock as His preferred music of choice. Why. Because it’s just that good. Hundreds of faithful teens and twenty-something adults pack themselves into basements shows like sardines in a tin, just to have their holy gospel delivered to them by guys with names like “Johnny Rotten,” “Justin Sane” or “Davey Havok.” Punk rock is the best musical style for numerous reasons.... [tags: essays research papers]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- Short Changed They say that the finer things in life are those, which are peaceful. Peaceful, shmeaceful. When it comes to music, nothing can get under your skin and infect your blood stream like the rawness of a good old-fashioned punk rock album from Short Changed. Even though they threw the whole thing together in a day, it sold out within two months. For their first ever five-track album, I could tell they needed a producer because of the quality of the album. But other than that, it was musically and lyrically exceptional.... [tags: Papers]
559 words (1.6 pages)