Many hazardous pollutants escape from the internal combustion of the engine. Conventional gas powered vehicles use irreplaceable fossil fuels to run. When burned, these fossil fuels create numerous toxins like carbon dioxide (Larminie 246). Carbon dioxide is considered the main greenhouse gas that creates the foundation for global warming (hybridcars.com, pollutants). This harmful pollutant may not have a serious effect on people at first, but it does have consequential effects on the environment that in turn put people in danger (Nutramed.com). The major consequence caused by global warming is the rise in average temperature. This results in a domino...
... middle of paper ...
...ster, and West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2003.
Nutramed.com. 2009. Air Quality: Airborne Illness Car Exhaust - Health Effects. 20 Nov. 2014. http://www.mutramed.com/environment/carsepa.htm
Rqriley.com. 17 June 2012. Electric And Hybrid Vehicles: An Overview of the Benefits, Challenges, and Technologies. 21 Nov. 2014.
Wikipedia.org. 20 Nov. 2014. Global Warming. 20 Nov. 2014.
Wikipedia.org. 21 Nov. 2014. Hybrid Vehicle. 21 Nov. 2014.
Wikipedia.org. 18 Nov. 2014. Renewable Energy. 21 Nov. 2014.
Wikipedia.org. 15 Nov. 2014. Sea Level Rise. 20 Nov. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electrical Vehicles and Benefits to the Environment There is a serious problem facing the world right now. It is air pollution. The number one contributor to this epidemic is automobile emissions. We have all heard of the issues that are involved with air pollution including the depletion of the o-zone layer, the green house effect, and acid rain. The problem has been scoped from every imaginable angle, and now it is time to solve the problem. I propose that each of the ‘Big Three’ (Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler) car manufacturers be required to have 10% of their product line as EV’s By the year 2010. I propose this because it will be the start of cleaner air, EV advancement,... [tags: Environment Environmental Pollution Preservation]
1692 words (4.8 pages)
- Did you know that in 2006 there were 232 million registered vehicles in the United States, alone (Cars by the Numbers). And that for every vehicle 600 gallons of gasoline are consumed each year, but wait there’s more (Cars by the Numbers). Did you know that 12,000 pounds of carbon dioxide are emitted from each vehicle in a year (Cars by the Numbers). Global warming, high gas prices, and the gasoline shortages are some of the most highly debated issues among our society. Throughout, the years many concerned people have been frustrated to find a central solution to these problems.... [tags: Automobile Industry]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- The Efficiency of Hybrid Cars Transportation is a large concern in today’s modern world. Most individuals have opted to buy vehicles for their personal use. Most of these vehicles consume gasoline and a smaller proportion is hybrid based. These two types of vehicles have many similarities. The two such vehicles require an energy source and both types of vehicles provide an important function to society. That function is to provide people with a reliable form of transportation. Although these two types of vehicles have many similarities, their differences are what distinguish them.... [tags: Hybrid Cars Car Gasoline Efficient Essays]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Want to buy a hybrid car. Consider the facts. You may be correct in thinking that you should buy a hybrid car or SUV, but are you thinking you need it for the right reasons. Kevin Ransom’s article “Reasons to buy a hybrid – or not” updated on CNN’s website in January 28, discusses many aspects consumers should consider when thinking about buying a hybrid vehicle. He makes good points, but he needs some better ones to convince me. Ransom is making an argument with plenty of statistics for buying a hybrid and trying at the same time to give you somewhat of a counterargument against buying a hybrid.... [tags: Gasoline Electric Hybrid Automobiles]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- Are electric cars the way of the future. Some would say no because of the pollution that is caused during the testing and manufacturing of the vehicles. Others would suggest that going electric would help the environment because there is less pollution being administered into the atmosphere. Today about one-third of the nation’s greenhouse gas emissions come from transportation. There is more to protecting the environment then what comes out of the tail pipe of today’s modern cars. Because of the divided believe that electric vehicles are good for the climate change, the question of whether or not the government should continue to offer subsidies and incentives into the purchasing an electri... [tags: environmental issues, hybrids]
1484 words (4.2 pages)
- ... Let’s take a look at the top five most popular choices in hybrid cars on the market today. What impact they will have on the consumer by way of cost, performance, comfort, reliability, and the effect these hybrids will have on our environment, and our global trade. Each hybrid has its own set of pluses and minuses when it comes to technology and its impact on our environment. Yet at the same time, all share a common thread, that being, the goal to reduce the need for foreign oil. Ford Fusion Hybrid The 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid is one of the leading cars on the market.... [tags: environment, technolgical, affordable]
637 words (1.8 pages)
- Introduction A hybrid vehicle is a vehicle that is powered by two or more power sources to move the vehicle (Lampton 2009). Among the types of power sources are electricity, petrol, and hydrogen gas. As of 2011, the world’s best selling hybrid, the Toyota Prius, on sale since 1997 has sold over 3 million units worldwide. Sales of other hybrids are also picking up. (Schwartz 2011) There are 3 different power trains that are used by production hybrids. Only 12% of survey respondents knew this (Personal Survey 2012).... [tags: Automobiles ]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Energy and Hybrid Cars As the cost of oil prices rise, consumers are becoming more aware of the gas prices as they fill their cars. For many commuters, walking and biking are not an option to and from large cities and public transportation continues to leave something to be desired. Although most people are not concerned with the rapidly depleting oil supplies around the world, they are feeling the pinch at the pump. This brings the attention to the possibility of hybrid cars, with their claims of superior gas mileage.... [tags: Environment Fuel Gas Essays Oil Papers]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- The current vehicles that are powered by gasoline pollute, but as technologies improve and the human way of life changes alternatively powered vehicles enter the automotive industry. These vehicles were developed to achieve better gas mileage and to help slow the production of the gasses that cause Global Warming. The hybrid vehicle is one of the most popular alternatively powered vehicles. Hybrid electric vehicles are energy efficient cars or trucks that run on an internal combustion engine of a gas vehicle with the battery and electric motor of an electric vehicle.... [tags: Environment Ecology Automobiles Essays]
1812 words (5.2 pages)
- Hybrid Cars In my basic presentation, I examined the practicality of HEVs (Hybrid Electric Vehicles), otherwise known as hybrids. The presentation gave some background about laws pertaining to emissions but at the same time was designed more to educate the consumer as to what a hybrid actually is. You do not plug it in. Current Emission Standards are confusing. At this point in time, we are at a major transition as to what will be the future of combustion vehicles. Present day standards do not call for the kind of emission requirements that will account for the current rate of global warming.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1865 words (5.3 pages)