According to the prior research findings in our lab, our current research is seeking to answer more questions about LHb’s involvement in behavioral flexibility. Consequently, Dr. Baker is now examining which aspects of cognitive flexibility the LHb is involved in, such as the cues themselves, the reward, or the decision making during the task. In a...
... middle of paper ...
...tivation of seeking improved treatments for the patients suffering from such disorders. Dr. Shohamy’s patient studies can help us understand the brain regions involved in cognitive dysfunction, which can lead to improved treatments. Furthermore, both professors uses functional brain imaging, which is fascinating to me since it can be used to detect dysfunctions on a finer scale. Therefore, collaborating with either professor would provide me with a valuable opportunity to understand the neurobiology of learning and memory, and how dysfunctions in related brain regions can lead to various pathologies. I believe my deepened interest, supported by the experiences and skills I have developed over the years, will motivate me throughout this journey. Hence, I look forward to contributing all that I have towards our progression in the functional understanding of the brain.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Schizophrenia and Theory of Mind Social Cognition There are many different mental illnesses, but schizophrenia is one of the least understood illnesses. Since schizophrenia is one of the least understood illnesses and has many different causes that makes it harder for doctors to help try and cure the illness, especially if it is not detected early. Just like any other serious illness, schizophrenia is critical to one’s life if not treated early on, which is why research on schizophrenia is so important.... [tags: Cognition, Psychology, Mind, Brain]
1391 words (4 pages)
- NooCube NooCube is a synergistic mix of nootropics or brain food, which helps to back up, store and upgrade your mental capacities or your memory. They also intend to enhance the psychological workings of the human mind, along with building effective firewalls for toxins. NooCube is a combination of commonly known amino acids, vitamins and other nutritious essentials used to improve retention, fixation and cognitive skills. Nootropics are intellectual agents that have cognitive upgrading impacts.... [tags: Psychology, Brain, Cognition, Mind]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- We have known for a long time that chronic exposure to stress hormones, be it during prenatal period, infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood or aging, will have an impact on the brain structures involved in cognition and overall mental and physical health. The specific effects on the brain, behavior and cognition can depend on the timing and duration of the exposure as well as the interaction between gene effects and any previous exposure to environmental adversity. In an article by Lupien, McEwen, Gunnar, and Heim (2009), they hope to develop a model to explain why different disorders emerge in individuals exposed to stress at different times in their lives utilizing both animal and hum... [tags: Psychology, Brain, Cerebrum, Mental disorder]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Writing Assignment #1 It is incredible how much the human race has learned about the brain. Such as how it works, why we do the things we do, what triggers our actions and emotions, and the list goes on and on. These are all fundamentals that fall under psychology which is the study of the mind and behavior. The way our brain works is all the same. How we obtain information and use it towards our benefit, how we learn through the observation of others, and everything we have done from the day of birth to now.... [tags: Psychology, Brain, Mind, Human]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- There are many chronic diseases that affect humans all over the globe. From cardiovascular diseases to cancer, the persistent mental disorder tops them all. Dementia is the progressive and chronic brain illness that affects a person’s daily life and their thinking process (Matchwick, C., Domone, R., Leroi, I., & Simpson, J., 2014). The most common form of dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, alone affects approximately 4.5 million people just in the United States (Faulk, S., Edwards, L., Sumrall, K., Shelton, T., Esalomi, T., Payton, C., Wooten, C., & Dolbow, D.... [tags: Brain, Human brain, Cognition]
1735 words (5 pages)
- The Effect of Executive Functioning Deficits On Task Completion of Fourth and Fifth Grade Students The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) defines Executive Functioning as a set of mental processes that help link past experience with present action. It can be used to organize, plan, strategize, pay attention to and remember details, and also to manage time and space. (NCLD, 2013) In school today all students face internal and external distractions. An increase in the use of technology in the classroom has benefits, i.e.... [tags: learning disabilities, special education]
1889 words (5.4 pages)
- With the innumerable technological leaps, screen technology has permeated all aspects of life including education and entertainment. The effects of which on cognition have and continue to be widely contentious. This essay will outline the positive and negative influences of screen technology on cognitive development and will evaluate the debate proving that the improvement of intelligence is positively related to the use of screen technology by examining the influence of neuroplasticity. OR With the leaps technology has made, people’s reliance on screen technology has become so prevalent that it permeates all aspects of life such as education and entertainment.... [tags: Psychology, Cognition, Thought, Mind]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- Does Bilingualism Improve Brain Functioning. Learning a language involves acquiring knowledge about the specific properties of that language. The study of bilingualism is defined as using or able to use two languages, especially with equal or nearly equal fluency. The presence of bilingualism shows that humans can learn two languages without apparel from birth as both languages are learned at the same time. Most bilingual research has been carried out by specifically focusing on second language processing in the brain and how it is affected by the age at which the second language is acquired and the amount of exposure an individual has to that language.... [tags: Cerebrum, Brain, Cognition, Language]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- With the leaps that technology has made, people’s reliance on screen technology has become so prevalent that it permeates all aspects of life, such as education and entertainment. Some scholars argue that screen technology positively affects cognitive skills, whereas others disagree. Neuroplasticity is the theory that the brain is malleable and therefore adapts to its environments and experiences in spite of disabilities, injuries, or old age (Doidge 2010). This essay will outline the debate of the positive and negative effects of screen technology on cognitive development.... [tags: Cognition, Psychology, Mind, Thought]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Annotated Source Genealogy: The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Students’ Cognitive Function Annotated Bibliography 1) Schnyer, M. D., Zeithamova D., & Williams V. (2009). Decision-making under conditions of sleep deprivation: Cognitive and neural consequences. Military Psychology, 21(1), 36-45. doi: 10.1080/08995600802554607 The purpose of this qualitative study was to determine the effects sleep deprivation has on the decision making process. The study’s participants were 13 undergraduate cadets of the United States Military at West Point and 2 graduate students from the University of Texas.... [tags: Sleep deprivation, Sleep, Psychology, Cognition]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- Public Sector Ethics : Public Authority And Non Governmental Organizations
- Girl Brain, Boy Brain By Lisa Eliot
- Spanish Colonization And The New World
- The Selective Pressure Of Pathogens On Human Immune Response
- How The Enzyme Catecholase From Potato Extract Reacts
- Marketing Decision And The Developing Marketing Strategies