In their series of advertisements, Axe uses a series of stereotyped girls and their relationships and sex to appeal to their general demographic of men age 18-24. The second installation of the series titled, “The High Maintenance Girl” follows a couple walking down the sidewalk with the boyfriend carrying his girlfriends numerous shopping bags, her purse, and walking her miniature dog. A voice narrates the situation and his thoughts over the scene describing the struggles of the boyfriend of a high maintenance girl. This specific advertisement plays on the stereotypes of exact...
... middle of paper ...
...t’s not intended to be taken seriously, it still carries a strong message that through the use of Axe, men can deal with anything and be rewarded for it. The advertisement continues to press on the belief that using Axe will help any man deal with women, handle their problems, and receive sex in the end.
Aleman, Paloma. "The Axe Effect." Media Literacy Project. N.p., 2013. Web. 11 Mar. 2014.
Gray, Emma. "Axe Shower Gel Ads Tell Men to Appease Women, Get Laid (VIDEO)." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 21 Mar. 2012. Web. 10 Mar. 2014.
"Axe Commercial High Maintenance Girl (2012)." YouTube. Axe, 20 Mar. 2012. Web. 11 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In this century there has been a lot of attention toward the media and how its affects young people. Joyce Garity, author of “Is Sex All That Matters,” and Steve Lopez, “A Scary Time to Raise a Daughter,” write about how media such as magazines, the internet, and television affects teenagers. Both authors talk about how the media is using sex and violence to sell products, thus leading teenagers to commit wrongful deeds, including lack of using birth control leading to unwanted pregnancy, imitating girls on the magazines, and cannot distinct between fantasy and reality.... [tags: Media, Teenagers, Girls, ]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- When people think of New York they usually first picture luxury, money, glamour, sky scrapers and a ton of other BIG features – The American Dream. New York has this image portrayed of it being beautiful, romantic and a place of new beginnings. New York, having Ellis Island, is the center of the New World that offered a chance of change and freedom. The city was known as a place where immigrants and people came to start over. This portrayal has always been going on from the Great Depression to even after the attacks on 9/11.... [tags: HBO shows]
2036 words (5.8 pages)
- If we try to categorize human by the term “gender”, people will be divided into two groups, males and females. Using this kind of categorization, it is considering people who belong in the same group are similar, and these two groups are very different from each other. However in real life, men and women’s characteristics tend to overlap (Crespi) . Even people who are in the same group may have different characteristics and personalities which are formed influencing by the environment and experiences.... [tags: gender socialization, boys and girls, family]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. It is the movement for the political, social, and educational equality of women with men. It has its roots in the humanism of the 18th century and the Industrial Revolution. Feminist issues range from access to employment, education, child care, contraception, and abortion, to equality in the workplace, changing family roles, damages for sexual harassment in the workplace, and the need for equal political representation. Some may think that in 2015 we may be completing the first step for women, which has been a long journey, the acceptance of women as people.... [tags: gender differences, 2015]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- Child Pornography So how important is sex, in general, to this country and the whole world for that matter. Here is a very easy, simple test. Do a search on google.com with the keyword sex. The results will give back over sixty-two million sites. This is a staggering number, especially when you do a search with the keywords family, love and education and see that you come convincingly short of the results you get in the former. Pornography has been the leading player in exhibiting sexual behavior to those who care for such things.... [tags: Sex Crime Children Essays]
2049 words (5.9 pages)
- It has not been too long ago that I still remember my adolescent years. I always remember the unintelligent things I did that I wish could change, but this Psychology class made me realize that all adolescents go through the same things I experienced. Adolescents are known to try to find their identity, go through peer pressure, make mistakes, and try new things. The move I picked that closely represented what adolescents go through was “Mean Girls”. Some of the scenes in the movie seem a little exaggerated, but it has happened in certain high schools even though I had not experienced it personally.... [tags: Mean Girls Essays]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- Girls on the Edge by Dr. Leonard Sax, is all about the things that are driving a crisis for girls. The book cites sexual identity, the cyberbubble, obsesssions, and environmental toxins as the four main factors. The book is 272 pages and was published by Basic Books in July of 2011 and sells for around 13 dollars for a paperback copy or 20 for the hardcover edition. The book begins with an explanation of teenagers and how they are different from the teenagers of 50 years ago. More and more teenagers are depressed, and on medication.... [tags: Girls on the Edge]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- The Rape of Ganymede capital in San Madeleine in Vézelay is a depiction of the story of the rape or abduction of Ganymede. On its front face the capital features an eagle holding the young shepherd boy, Ganymede, in its mouth. Ganymede is being held upside down helplessly with a look of terror on his face. On the left are two adults holding their heads and staring helplessly at the eagle taking the boy. On the right side is a demon looking out at the viewer sticking its tongue out in happiness, as if to taunt us.... [tags: Art]
1928 words (5.5 pages)
- Irwin Shaw's "The Girls in Their Summer Dresses" In Irwin Shaw?s ?The Girls in Their Summer Dresses,. Michael?s character may be questioned by the reader. He may seem to portray himself as an unfaithful husband who essentially gets caught in the act early on in the story. However, Michael had yet to do anything to physically betray his wife, and there is no proof that he would in the future. In society, many spouses or fiancées have fantasized about having sexual relations with another man or woman.... [tags: Irwin Shaw Girls Summer Dresses Essays]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Alice Munro's "Boys and Girls" Alice Munro's short story, "Boys and Girls," has a very interesting detail written into it. The narrator's brother is named Laird, which was carefully chosen by the author. Laird is a synonym for lord, which plays a important role in a story where a young girl has society's unwritten rules forced upon her. At the time of the story, society did not consider men and women equal. The name symbolized how the male child was superior in the parents' eyes and in general.... [tags: Boys and Girls, Alice Munro]
1047 words (3 pages)