School Lunch In Schools

907 Words2 Pages

I think it's time that the government and the National School Lunch Program should change the school's breakfast and lunch suggestions. Our school's are being fed processed food, bad vegetables, and fruit that tastes like alcohol. School breakfast and lunch are no where near to being considered as healthy and take part in bad health issues. The government and the National School Lunch Program need to take responsibility in these problems and needs to work towards promoting , not only a healthy breakfast and lunch for the students, but also an unprocessed breakfast and lunch as well.
Many schools in America suffer from the poor nutrition that is served in elementary schools, middle schools and high schools. Even though, the schools make it …show more content…

At my school, Moreno Valley High School, I did a survey out of a total of 30 students and asked each one of them a total of three questions on how they feel about the school breakfast and lunch program. The first question that was asked, was “Would you prefer unprocessed breakfast and lunch at school?”, 93% of the students said yes(28 out of 30), while the other 7% of students said no (Survey). The second question that was asked was, “Do you think school lunch is involved with bad health?”, 66% of the students said yes(20 out of 30), while the other 34% said no (Survey). The last question that was asked was, “Would fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and fresh food promote a healthy lunch?”, 83% of the students said yes(25 out of 30), while the other 16% said no (Survey). With my own evidence, it shows that something needs to change immediately. When I asked some of the students why they said yes, some of their responses were “unhealthy food influences weight gain” or “a change can make kids get over their bad eating habits”. In today's …show more content…

The School Nutrition Association says “100,000 schools serve school lunches to 30.5 million students a day and over 90,000 schools serve school breakfasts to 14 million students a day.” (School Nutrition Association. Par.1. Par.3) Those 14 million and 30.5 million can improve in many amazing ways. Kaiser Permanente has said “Evidence indicates that improved nutrition in schools can increase focus and attention, decrease discipline problems, improve attendance, boost academic achievement and improve the health of students.” (Kaiser Permanente. Thriving schools. Par.1) Making this decision to make the program better may take a while, but all of the good outcomes that happen when the schools change can benefit not only the students, but the teachers and parents as

Open Document