The major problem surrounding electronic cigarettes is the way it is marketed. Children know smoking is bad, but they keep hearing positive things about the electronic cigarettes and seeing their idols use them. They have limited knowledge to think otherwise. Furthermore, the item is still too new for there to be proper regulations. Peopl...
... middle of paper ...
...e children admitted to never using conventional cigarettes.
So far, the FDA has been trying to regulate electronic cigarettes through the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA). The FDCA is an incredibly stringent statute that takes plenty of time and evidence to rectify an issue. This approach is staggering because electronic cigarettes do not fall nicely into the categories of food, drugs, and cosmetics. In 2009, Congress enacted the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (TCA). Through the TCA, the FDA was granted control over tobacco products. The TCA was revolutionary because it enable new and flexible oversight in the tobacco industry. Under definition the electronic cigarettes falls under the TCA, and should be retried under this act for the welfare of public health. The TCA specializes in improving public health when it comes to cigarettes.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The American Heart Association reported that smoking tobacco cigarettes cost the United States economy 289 billion dollars annually (Electronic cigarettes-the Primary Cares Provider’s Response). Now imagine if that 289 billion dollars could be reduced even a fraction by people quitting smoking through the use of an electronic cigarette. Electronic cigarettes, also known as electronic cigarettes, have many positive and negative benefits and can be a positive step in the right direction for people who want to quit smoking.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- Since 2008, Electronic Cigarettes have become widely popular across the United States, despite the obvious health benefits the long term health effects of “smoking” electronic cigarettes are still unknown to researchers today. Electronic Cigarettes are the answer to a safer method of consuming nicotine despite its more popular tobacco products. Even though the effects of consuming large amounts of nicotine in a persons’ system is unknown, the unbanning of electronic cigarettes in Los Angeles decrease the harm second-hand smoke causes as well as the health risks associated with toxic tobacco products such as cancer.... [tags: cigarettes, smoking, nicotine, tobacco]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Countless research has materialized the statistic that smoking cigarettes is strongly correlated with the development of many debilitating disease processes. Lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, as well as mouth cancer is associated with smoking. Within the past five years, the emergence of electronic cigarettes has offered an alternative to cigarettes with the aim at decreasing cigarette consumption which, in turn, could also be used as an alternative to smoking. Historically, smokers who were looking to quit utilized nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) which includes nicotine patches, nicotine gum, as well as medications such as Bupropion.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Electronic cigarette, Cigarette]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- Abstract An electronic cigarette (e-cig or e-cigarette), personal vaporizer (PV) or electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) is a battery-powered vaporizer that simulates the feeling of smoking. The user breathes in an aerosol, commonly referred to as vapor, rather than cigarette smoke. Limited evidence suggests e-cigarettes are safer than traditional cigarettes. People who do not already smoke can become addicted to them (Barrington-Trimis, Samet, McConnell, 2014). While Electronic Cigarettes do not contain as many chemicals as regular cigarettes and the nicotine is only a small amount compared to a pack, electronic cigarettes still prove to be dangerous just as regular cigarettes.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
1787 words (5.1 pages)
- What is the Efficacy of Electronic Cigarettes for Smoking Cessation. The World Health Organization (WHO) considers tobacco to be a global epidemic and the leading cause of preventable death worldwide, with approximately six million tobacco-related deaths every year. Almost half of tobacco users die due to tobacco-related health issues (World Health Organization [WHO], 2015). Electronic cigarettes continue to gain popularity as a tool for smoking cessation since their introduction in 2004 despite limited scientific research.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Cigarette, Smoking]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Smoking became a staple of Southern United States culture when it's environment proved perfect for growing and harvesting tobacco. With Kentucky and North Carolina “accounting for 71% of tobacco grown in the United States,” it is easy to see how the smoking culture is so deeply embedded and loved by southerners (“Economies”). Since the birth of this relationship in the late eighteenth century, a plethora of research has shown many negative side effects of smoking tobacco, such as: cancer, increased risk for respiratory disease and cardiovascular disease, and tooth decay (“Economies”).... [tags: smoke free, laws, regulations]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- I. Introduction a. Audience hook: Everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by cigarette smoking. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are more than 40 million current cigarette smokers in the United States and greater than 16 million Americans live with diseases caused by smoking (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015). Recent data from the CDC reveals that about 70% of current smokers want to quit (CDC, 2015). Electronic cigarettes are becoming very popular as a less harmful alternative to smoking and may be viewed as a possible cessation tool.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- “To me, as a physician, when 1.78 million of our high school kids have tried an e-cigarette, and a lot of them are using them regularly … that’s like watching someone harm hundreds of thousands of children.” by Tom Frieden. This quote grabs my attention because it associates with electronic cigarettes that are targeting teenagers as a consumer to get big profits for their company to keep going on business. Some teens nowadays are using e-cigarettes as a daily routine in their life. Teenagers are easily drawn to a material or movement that is trending worldwide.... [tags: Smoking, Tobacco, Cigarette, Nicotine]
2246 words (6.4 pages)
- Tobacco has been around for centuries today we have many different ways to inhale tobacco. Cigarettes and vaping are the two most popular ways people are inhaling tobacco in today 's day and age. Even though cigarettes have been around for many decades, vaping has become a new sensation. Although the majority of the masses are switching from cigarettes to vaping, many are still set in their ways with an old fashion stog (cigarette). Since the studies of vaping are the bare minimal compared to the studies of smoking cigarettes, we still don 't know the long term effects vaping has on the body.... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Tobacco smoking, Smoking]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- E-cigarettes are a new and more innovative way for smokers to get their nicotine high, and some believe they are even healthier to use while others do not. Many people see the word “cigarette” and assume that it has a lot of health consequences and can cause death and second-hand smoke. While there are some who know what E-cigarettes truly are and know the difference between the two and the change in health risks. I have a neutral idea about the object knowing that it can help people quite cigarette but they still can cause a potential health risk to long time smokers as their body beings to reject the foreign chemicals/objects like tar from the body which is very painfully to experience.... [tags: nicotine high, smoking addiction]
842 words (2.4 pages)
- Sarah Pomaville Is Not Just Your Ordinary Elementary School Teacher
- Should School Uniforms Be Banned?
- Notes On Falling And Pieces
- The Greek And Roman Art
- Review Of Scholarship On Mhealth, And More Specifically The Uses Of The Tool 's Addressing Maternal Health
- How Leadership Is Made Up Of Two Interacting Parts, Values And Attributes