English is a very important language as it is used frequently at international level as a means for people from different countries to communicate with one another . However, English significance as a communication tool has grown and expand not just as an international language but also used as the language in international relations, and in exchanging knowledge and technology. In the early phase, English hd been spread internationally through colonization, migration and settlement, but as the years passed, English quickly gained a high prestige in cultural, scientific, technological and other fields that contributed to English becoming global (Leitner, 1992). Nowadays, it is generally acknowledged that learning English is a “must”. Therefore, English was formally accorded the status of second language in Malaysia when the National Language Policy was implemented in 1970 and then officially taught in primary and secondary schools in Malaysia .
Although English was granted the second language status in 1970, English had a comparatively long history in Malaysia (Solomon ,1988). During the colonial era, the British practiced divide and rule system that segregated the three main races of Malaya which were the Malays, Chinese an Indian socially. As a result, linguistic segregations also occured educationally when each community used their own native language as a medium of instruction in schools that catered exclusively to their ethnic. English, meanwhile, was used in National-type schools that located in the urban areas where most of the pupils were from noble and wealthy background and most of them were Chinese and Eurasians. After gaining independence from the British in 1957, English was the estab...
... middle of paper ...
...Horizons for Learning. Retrieved January 16, 2009, from http://www. newhorizons.org/strategies/literacy/little.htm
32. Beers, K., Probst, R. E., & Rief, L.(Eds.). (2007). Adolescent literacy: Turning promiseinto practice. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
33. Penella, B. (n.d.). Graphic novels: The POW!-er in the classroom. Brodart: Graphic Novels. Retrieved January 1, 2012, from http://www.graphicnovels.brodart.com/teachers_perspective.htm
34. O’English, L., Matthews, J. G., & Lindsay, E. B. (2006). Graphic novels in academic libraries: From Maus and beyond. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 32(2),
35. Morrison, T. G., Bryan, G., & Chilcoat, G.W. (2002). Using student-generated comic books in the classroom. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 45(8), 758-76
36. Solomon (1988
(Government of Malaysia, 1976, p. 386).
(Government of Malaysia, 1976, p. 391)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Graphic novels are great books to use when trying to get children into reading. They are the kinds of books that utilize both illustrations and words to tell stories. The images within graphic novels give an overview of what is happening in the story and encourage children to read the book to find out more about the story. Graphic novels are also fast paced which gets children to quickly move along in the storyline without slowing down. With all their energy, books with slow-growing climaxes and drawn out storylines would not grab the attention of young energetic children.... [tags: Graphic novel, Comics, Manga, Comic book]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction Graphics are art works that emanate from visual statement, which are reproduced on surfaces either as pottery, canvas, landscape, stone, paper and computer screen. I other graphics include creations such as logos, symbols, charts, signs and drawings. Graphic design has been in existence for a long time as a professional art and has been widely used in areas such as advertisements, websites and other publications such as magazines (Clifford 13). Like other art works, graphic design has undergone numerous progress and drastic transformations, conceptually and technically.... [tags: Graphic design, Advertising, Typography, Art]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- The study of narrative, or narratology can be applied to a graphic novel. This hybrid narrative form that combines words with sequential visual images, can be analyzed the same way that other narrative forms such as novels and even movies can be analyzed. Using a specific graphic novel to analyze its plot, setting, atmosphere and character, a closer examination of that graphic novel can be made. This closer examination will demonstrate if there is legitimacy to the narrative form or if a graphic novel is nothing more than an inflated phrase to describe something that many believe is a juvenile and commercialized form of marketing.... [tags: Ghost World by Dan Clowes]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Literature is crucial and significantly important in everyday life; it helps people build vocabulary and develop comprehensive reading and writing skills. Literature consists of a variety of written works or books such as comic books and graphic novels. Comic books are a strip of comics that are produced periodically and are mostly about superheroes like superman, batman, and spiderman. Graphic novels are similar to comic books, but can be nonfictional, fictional, or an autobiography; these books relate more to real-life situations.... [tags: Graphic novel, Comics, Comic book, Marvel Comics]
793 words (2.3 pages)
- V for Vendetta is a graphic novel written by Allan Moore. It is a story full of comedy with V as the protagonist who is out to fight and destroy the government and affects innocent people. The novel was later adapted into a film and directed by James McTeigue and written by Wachowski Brothers. The graphic novel was set in 1990’s during the time where the world had suffered from a nuclear war and everything was left destroyed. The movie was in 2020 and there was nowhere we are told that there was a nuclear war but there was a revolution against fascist government.... [tags: Allan Moore graphic novel]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- The Things About Graphic design’s Job There have so many jobs in design field, however, the most student which learning in design areas choose Graphic Design as their own career at present. Not only it has a stable income, but also it is the job with full of individual creative activity, and easy to find for designer. So it is great for the man in Art and person who have some kind sense of design. Basically, “Graphic designers create the visual presentation and design of goods, from gravestone markers to detergent boxes, from album covers to dog food cans”; (The guide of Graphic Design Career, Feb 1, 2001) As this job, the top responsibility is prepares visual presenta... [tags: Graphic design, Typography, Graphic designer]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi is a non-fiction graphic novel about the author and about her experiences growing up in Persepolis, Iran. While the structure of the story is jumbled, it is presented in chronological order and describes events in the main character’s history. Marjane, the narrator, is often witness to numerous events and speaks to the reader about the lessons she learns. As religion and the government play a major role in shaping Marjane into the person she becomes, Marjane remembers specific events from her childhood and develops a better understanding of how these events shaped her.... [tags: religion, government, graphic novel]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- Jan Tschichold Kristen Bennett Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Abstract Graphic Design has evolved over the years from an early form of printmaking, to the 21st century method of using programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and more. Graphic Design has been used in marketing and advertisement, logos and branding, web design, motion graphics, etc. Graphic Designers from the 1920s and 30s have a unique style where shapes, sans serifs, and photos are utilized in a design.... [tags: Typography, Graphic design, Design]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- The term: graphic design means "visual communications" and it is "the art and profession of selecting and arranging visual elements to convey a message." (Encyclopedia Britannica 2013, p. 1). Visual communication is virtually used everyday in today's society and is important to have in life. Graphic design is used in media, the business and advertisement industry, and in simple things in life that are not easily noticed. Graphic design influences the world of profit-making, but also has an impact on the lives of various groups of people including children, teens, and young adults.... [tags: Graphic Design]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- Out of all aspects of mass communications, graphic design is the most intriguing. The study and art of one thing that has made it possible for advertisements, art, and for humans to grow as the creativity of the world. Graphic design is the art and skill of combining text, and pictures in advertisements, magazines, or books. It 's the basic structure of the advertisement world. Luring people in with powerful art is the intent. Graphic design is a very important occupation. Businesses and individuals seeking great ways to promote their business or cause rely on graphic design.... [tags: Graphic design, Design, Typography, Art]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- The Amazing Country of Colombia
- The Pros and Cons of Profiling by Law Enforcement
- Genetically Modified Foods Cause Autism
- The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Path and Lucy, by Jamaica Kincaid
- The Five I's of of Transcendentalism in the Modern Day
- Zora Neale Hurston vs Langston Hughes on the African American Dream