There is a killer that is very silent that nobody really can see and it is called alcohol. Alcohol has been a huge problem in society for as long as we can remember. Alcohol makes a person’s judgment and perception lack off and it makes them do things that they would not normally do and their actions are usually fatal (Drinking and driving statistics). One of those unnecessary things being referred to is drinking and driving. It can ruin people’s life in a blink of an eye.
Drinking and driving causes people to do crazy things on the road. It makes people drive reckless, speed, and causes death in some cases. Death is a real big deal in cases that deal with drinking and driving. In 2007, a study was done that showed that 1,393 teenagers were killed in an automobile accident that involved the use of alcohol, averaging up to four deaths a day (Drinking and driving statistics). It is very hard for people not to drink because it makes the body feel good and relaxed. If people drink they need to be smart about it. They do not need to be driving while intoxicated. It...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Alcohol and Driving Imagine being in a bar with a few of your good friends. Everyone is drinking and having a good time. Your are going to leave and go home, but you friends won't let you because they know the dangers of driving after having a few drinks. Instead they ca ll a cab to give you a ride home. You would be extremely lucky to have such smart friends. Drunk driving is a very serious problem in our society today, but it is becomming socially unacceptable causing the numbers of alcohol related traffic fatalites t o decline considerably.... [tags: Exploratory Essays, Drunk Driving]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- Alcohol inebriation can cause one make less responsible decisions as a well-known fact. Much to that matter the reason that alcohol plays a role in many harmful situations such as automobile accidents. Automobile accidents are one of the leading effects of drinking while driving. “Drinking while driving rates highest amongst incoming freshman, males, athletes, and fraternities and sororities, as statistics have proven” (Sorokin, 2002). College students that are in their first year of college uses alcohol as a means to fit in socially and as a way to unwind.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- By definition and federal law, underage drinking is any person under 21 who are consuming alcohol. In 2011, Missouri had 258 total alcohol impaired fatalities. Forty-six, or thirty percent, of these fatalities were under the age of twenty-one (Century Council). Surely, it does not happen in small towns like Warrensburg. Yes, in fact, it does happen in Warrensburg, the reason being it is a college town, and Whiteman Air Force Base is just twenty minutes outside the town. Here are stories of underage drinking incidences that occurred in Warrensburg, Jackson County, and St.... [tags: drinking age, alcohol, mip, drunk driving]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol has affected and devastated countless people’s lives. Driving under the influence is one of the most dangerous situations you can put yourself or someone else into. The evidence against driving while intoxicated is massive and it has left a long trail of broken dreams and lives. If you drink and drive, not only do you possibly put yourself at risk, but your passengers and pedestrians, and other people on the roads. According to the most recent statistics by the National Commission Against Drunk Driving is that 17, 000 Americans die each year in alcohol-related traffic crashes and 600,000 Americans are injured.... [tags: DUI Drinking Driving Alcohol Essays]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- “Have one drink for the road” was, until recently, a commonly used phrase in American culture. It has only been within the past 20 years that as a nation, we have begun to recognize the dangers associated with drunk driving (Sutton 463). According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this year 519,000 people, or one person per minute, will be injured in alcohol-related accidents. 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes this year – that is one death every 50 minutes. The heartbreaking part is, every injury and lost life due to driving after drinking can be prevented.... [tags: Drunk Driving, DUI, Alcohol]
2554 words (7.3 pages)
- Cause and Effect Essay on: Drunk Driving Driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol is one of the most dangerous things you can do. There is a mass of research evidence to show that driving performance and reaction times are seriously affected by alcohol. Our law in Georgia states, “that it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle if your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) exceeds .10%. Georgia observes a "per se" law. (Craft) If you drink and drive, you are not only a danger to yourself but also to your passenger, other road users and pedestrians.... [tags: Drinking Driving DUI DWI Drink Drive Alcohol]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Is Drinking and Driving a Problem for Teenagers Underage drinking is a huge problem in the U.S. today, claiming about an estimated 5, 000 annual deaths of underage youth, according to researchers. Teen Drivers ages 16-20 are 17 times more liable to die in a crash when they have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% compared to when they have not been drinking. Teen drivers are not as much more likely than adults to drive after drinking alcohol, but teen driver’s collision risk is substantially higher when they do.... [tags: Alcohol law, Alcoholic beverage, Drunk driving]
913 words (2.6 pages)
- What possesses a person to get behind the drivers’ seat of a car and drive intoxicated. This question is always asked whenever a drunk driver is involved in a drinking and driving incident. Many people drink and drive without thinking about the consequences. The majority of fatal car crashes are caused by alcohol related incidents. Of all traffic fatalities in the United States in 2005, 39% of traffic related accidents were alcohol related (Alcohol Alert, 2006). Driving while intoxicated puts drivers and others lives at risk.... [tags: Alcohol, Drunk Driving, DUI]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- The growing awareness of alcohol hazards has made people more cautious of their drinking habits, particularly young adults. At present young adults have the highest prevalence of alcohol consumption than any other age group. They also drink more heavily, experience more negative consequences, and engage in more harmful activities, specifically drunk driving. Although surveys have documented a decline in recent years, consumption rates remain highest from late teen years to the late twenties (Johnston1-3).... [tags: Alcohol, DUI, Drunk Driving ]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Drinking and Driving Should Blood Alcohol Percentages for Drunken Driving Be Lowered. Driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Alcohol causes varying degrees of the following side effects in everyone who uses it; dullness of sensation, lowered sensory motor skills, lowered reactive or reflexive motor responses, impaired thought processes, impaired memory, impaired judgement, sleep or sleeplessness, and in extreme cases can cause coma and death.”(Hardcastle 1).... [tags: essays papers, drunk driving, alcohol]
1114 words (3.2 pages)