Karen was employed at a psychiatric hospital in the community, on the overnight shift. Karen had worked every shift at the hospital depending on family needs. Karen was well liked and respected as a hard worker, who did not complain. Psychiatric hospitals have to admit anyone who are harm to themselves or others no matter how full or find a bed for them else where. There were many times the day lounge area had patients sleeping on the coach, chairs and floor. The hospital never staffed for anticipated admission and there were always admissions, this resulted in increase pateint to staff ratios and safety becomes major issues (Bronn 2010).
Nursing shortages contribute to overwork, fatigue and errors.
Having worked as the Nurse House Supervisor many times, this nurse knew there were not enough nurses to go around, and no consideration was to be taken for admissions but all discharges had to be factored in to decrease the need for staff and support the staffing numbers on paper. The hospital was frequently short of staff, it was hard to get nurses to work, especially young nurses, data reflects young nurse are not attracted to psychiatric nursing and this may be the cause for a shortage of psychiartic nurses (Seed, Torkelson, Annatour 2010).
The usuall staffing patterns are 4 staff at night to 42 patients a registard nurse (RN) and a mental health techniquan (MHT) for each of the 2 sides, each side sharing the same nurses station. On this night there was only 1 MHT and 2 RN’s. The night nurse’s duties are admissions, chart checks, including making sure every order in the last 24 hours was transcribed correctly, carried out correctly and documented. The night nurse was to also, recopy Medicati...
... middle of paper ...
...te: A 30 month emergency department review. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 20, 521. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-6723.2008.01140.x
Seed, S. M., Torkelson J. D., Annatour R., (2010). The Role of the Inpatient Psychiatric Nurse and Its Effect on Job Satisfaction. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 31, 160. doi: 10.3109/01612840903168729
Seed, S. M., Torkelson J. D., Annatour R., (2010). The Role of the Inpatient Psychiatric Nurse and Its Effect on Job Satisfaction. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 31, 161. DOI: 10.3109/01612840903168729
Souder, E., O’Sullivan, P., (2003). Disruptive behaviors of older adults in institutional setting. Gerontological Nursing, 29, (8) 31. Retrieved from http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=17&hid=111&sid=a7dccb27-7a16-469f-b7ef-24717bacd3ef%40sessionmgr15&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=c8h&AN=2003139601
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Many CEOs and managers of corporations have led their companies successfully through highly uncertain, even chaotic industries and in difficult times (Hansen, 2011). This paper summarizes the article written by Morten T. Hansen that addresses three leadership skills that count in order to achieve success even in difficult industries and times. The paper identifies the concept of management (leadership) and describes how it is used in this particular case. There are numerous and diverse definitions of leadership but the most fitting definition would be that leadership is the ability to influence the behavior of juniors/subordinates and persuade them into following a particular c... [tags: manager, creativity, discipline]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Introduction American Operators is in a tough position at the moment but I do believe that as a company united we can get through this downturn in the economy. The Corporate goals that have been put forth are a great starting place for us to get back on the right track. The purpose of the HR department will help in this endeavor as we seek to hire the right people at the right time with the right training. We also need to keep employees motivated during this difficult time as we have great employees who we will need as we start picking up business in the next year.... [tags: staffing, outsourcing, training]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Everyone has some inner strength which needs to be found. It could not be located unless there is a vital need for it. A boy who cannot even walk properly can run as fast as any other if he is running for his life being chased by an animal. Adversity brings out the true strength of a person. Although in some cases a person becomes so tensed that he gives up, but in most cases difficult situation brings out the best a man can offer. Many of the famous personalities sought strength through adverse situations.... [tags: Potential, Survival]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- Adversity: a difficult situation or tragedy In what ways has adversity touched your life and shaped your view of the future. How do you anticipate “paying it forward” as you pursue your higher education and beyond. If you were to say you have never faced adversity in your life you are either lying or in denial because no matter how privileged, sheltered or loved you are, you have surely faced some sort of adversity. We face small adversities on a daily basis, but it is the larger, more difficult adversities that change our views of ourselves, our lives and the future.... [tags: Pay It Forward, English-language films, Thing]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- The most difficult situation I had to face was during my clinical rotations, when I was asked to explain to a patient the course of her disease and that she only had a few more days to live. The patient was diagnosed with an extremely malignant cancer known as osteosarcoma that had spread to most of her organs. I have never been in a situation like the one I was in and did not even know how to introduce the topic. I guess it is fair to say that I was going to encounter such a scenario one day or another.... [tags: Patient, Physician, Doctor, Patience]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- The status of women in India has not enhanced much even after six decades of Indian Independence. Repression and enslavement still compel her to lead a regulated life. However, education has come to the aid of women to move forward and they have endeavored to liberate themselves from the domination of men. In this context it is interesting to note that the last decade of the twentieth century witnessed a world of change in the literature produced in India in the English language.... [tags: Difficult Daughters Essays]
1850 words (5.3 pages)
- This paper relates recruitment, selection, and staffing of employees at all levels with the Kolb Experiential Learning Model. The model has been widely adopted by trainers in designing learning events. Kolb identified four stages of learning, concrete experience, observations and reflections, formation of abstract concepts and generalizations, and testing implications of concepts in new situations. Concrete experience refers to the learner’s personal involvement in something and his/her receipt of feedback regarding his performance.... [tags: Human Resource Management ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- No matter the breath or the depth of an organization, it will always have the inherent need for human resources. It is safe to say that without work force, no organization in the world would exist. Recognizing not only the need for people, but also more importantly, the need for skilled, efficient and loyal employees has been a key turning point in defining the role of the Human Resource professional. However, some of the most important and challenging functions of human resource professionals are directly related to the recruitment, selection, training, and appraisal of the organization's employees or potential employee.... [tags: Business Human Resources]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Staffing Orgs DELL Dell's mission is to be the most successful computer company in the world at delivering the best customer experience in markets we serve. In doing so, Dell will meet customer expectations of: · Highest quality · Leading technology · Competitive pricing · Individual and company accountability · Best-in-class service and support · Flexible customization capability · Superior corporate citizenship · Financial stability -Dell Mission Statement Company background Dell’s vision of excellence through quality, innovation, pricing, accountability, service and support, customization, corporate citizenship and financial stability is clear.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
1534 words (4.4 pages)
- All About Staffing I. Nature of Staffing Staffing is an organization-wide function, comparable to other functions such as marketing, focused on solving problems and adding value with a company's human, social, and intellectual capital. Staffing includes attracting and hiring talented people, as well as developing, appraising, and rewarding them through performance management and training programs. Staffing has a heavy legal emphasis, since employment and labor laws significantly impact both employee and employer rights and responsibilities.... [tags: essays research papers]
1170 words (3.3 pages)