Many different careers can use different types of leaders. Doctors need to be able to take charge of the situation and delegate different tasks to nurses and other medical personnel (Y theory). In office settings an X theory leader would micromanage everything that they would have their staff do, and if they disagree with the outcome they would make changes. Teachers can be both X and Y leaders, they give their students someone to look up to but also take directions from their higher-ups. In a sales setting, a Y theory leader is the best temperament; they set the example and train the sales department under them so they know what to do, but then they cut them loose so the staff can achieve goals on their own. A Y leader keeps themselves accessible as a resource that the staff can tap.
During the summers I watch my two nieces and nephew. I give them chores to do, but instead of sitting around and having them do all the work I would help t...
... middle of paper ...
...dling control he had over them. They admired him as a friend who could get them out of a hard spot, not as a leader. His crew cared more for themselves than what was at risk in the war - they became an ineffective team for the mission at hand.
Davenport did treat his men as friends, but because of this they all lacked discipline. With that lack of discipline, his men lost sight of their responsibilities. This ultimately led to their failures in the air.
I like how you stated Savage giving the responsibilities back to the men! He definitely gave them the ability to see how their judgements and actions affected everyone.
Davenport lacked the confidence in his men because he was on too personal of a level with them. Instead of giving them responsibilities and leadership inside their group, he gave little-to-no discipline and constantly made excuses for failed missions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Autocratic Leaders - Autocratic leaders are people who have immense power over his subjects and makes decisions without references from anyone else. Although being an autocratic leader may seem strict, it is actually a very efficient way of leading people because instructions get established quickly which means things get set in motion instantly. The autocratic style of leadership is mostly practiced on big companies by their owners or chief executive officers. It is often used on scenarios like a time of deadlock within a company, where quick decisions must be made in order to keep that company functioning and prevent it falling farther behind.... [tags: autocratic, democratic, laissez-faire]
604 words (1.7 pages)
- It is often said that great leaders are born, not made. A leader is an individual who has the aptitude to influence others to think or behave in a particular way to accomplish goals (Pearson, 2015, p. 2489). There are two types of leaders: formal and informal. The formal leader is selected by an organization and given official authority to make decisions. Conversely, the informal leader is simply recognized as one because of their seniority or exceptional skills. Leaders are described as productive, efficient, informed, and charismatic.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, 25th century]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- Henry Hyde: From Henry To Hyde - Two Different Types of Leaders Henry Hyde was preaching to a small constituency during the Impeachment trial. Though the information spread through the internet and mass media, those who supported Hyde’s views remained the minority throughout the Impeachment process, and if anything, his support only decreased. Because Hyde felt that Clinton’s lying under oath about his relationships with Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones was morally wrong, he took steps to punish Clinton for those actions.... [tags: Essays Papers]
3784 words (10.8 pages)
- A leader can be described as a person who gives direction, inspiration and cause to a group of people who are striving to achieve a common or similar goal (Eacott, 2011; Siraj-Blatchford & Manni, 2013). As there are many types of leaders within an early childhood education setting, such as director, room leader and educational leader, it is important to define and dissect what each role requires (Siraj-Blatchford & Manni, 2013). An educational leader is defined in the National Quality Framework (NQF), where they have support from other documentation and literature to identify what an educational leader is (Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority, 2014).... [tags: education,pedagogical documentation,leaders]
1606 words (4.6 pages)
- The terms leader and leadership are used in recent years in all professional areas. Huber (2010), states that “leadership is defined as the process of influencing people to accomplish goals”, and that there are different styles of leaders like authoritarian, laissez-faire, and participative or democratic. Huber (2010) also mentions that there is no perfect leadership style, as we have to consider situations and factors to consider when choosing one style in particular, and that one leader has the ability to change if a special scenario occurs, for example, under an emergency situation like a code blue a democratic nurse can change to authoritarian style.... [tags: Leadership, Decision making, Nursing, Nurse]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- Human Relations in Groups This paper will be about human relations in groups utilizing leadership. I will discuss the different types of leadership styles and how they differ. I will also talk about what the most important aspects of leadership styles there are and which one I relate to most. I think of leadership in terms of inspiring people to be more than they are and to work hard for what they want. I see a person that displays leadership in the sense that they are encouraging others and fostering good relationships to continually inspire others.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Kurt Lewin]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- In this paper I decided to break down the difference between good leaders and bad leaders who manage in an organization. After The breakdown I’ll go into the proper tools to improve as a leader. I haven’t work in a lot of jobs but out of the few I have, I noticed the difference in leadership skills. I’ve observed top managers, middle managers, and team leads in different job settings. Although they all have different roles to play in an organization, they all are some type of leader. While majority of them did a good job getting their points across, managing team huddles for employers to be up to date on objectives and expression, and also their delivery in speech which helped us trust them,... [tags: leadership skills in different job settings]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- Different types of coaching and mentoring that can be offered To understand how coaching and mentoring will be implemented we must understand what types of these programmes can be used. There are many types within both but as certain developmental needs have been identified within your organisation through performance reviews, we should focus on three types for both mentoring and coaching that can help develop better customer care and IT skills. The BREFI group (2015) gives us a few different types below: Performance coaching - enhances an individual’s performance in their current role at work, to increase their effectiveness and productivity at work.... [tags: Management, Coaching, Organization, Term]
1509 words (4.3 pages)
- Determination, courage, and confidence are all characteristics needed to be a good leader. The principal player in a music group is considered to be a leader. Even bands need leaders, if we didn’t have leaders where would we be today. John Quincy Adams once said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” A good leader is liked by the people, has power, and produces followers. When there is an unwillingness to make things happen, to take the initiative and accept responsibility; this is when a leader emerges.... [tags: Leadership]
695 words (2 pages)
- Saving Private Ryan - Captain Miller Displays the Five Types of Power Many people in this world have power and influence. Yet, there are few who have the traits needed to be an incredible leader. These people who are positive leaders tend to leave strong impressions in our minds for years or maybe even a lifetime. In choosing a movie with a character that portrayed a strong sense of power and influence, and possessed the traits of a good leader, I remembered a character that left an admirable impression in my mind.... [tags: Leadership Five Types Power]
1419 words (4.1 pages)