Who is Marks and Spencer?
“Marks and Spencer plc (also known as M&S) is a major British multinational retailer headquartered in the City of Westminster, London. It specialises in the selling of clothing, home products and luxury food products. M&S was founded in 1884 by Michael Marks and Thomas Spencer in Leeds.” (Wikipedia, 2016)
What is Plan A?
According to M&S, “Plan A is our way to help protect the planet – by sourcing responsibly, reducing waste and helping communities.” (marksandspencer, 2016)
M&S started Plan A in 2007 making 100 commitments to reduce the social and environmental footprint of the business across all that they do. In 2010 they entered a second phase with 80 new commitments and a goal to become the world’s most sustainable major retailer.
In 2014 they entered the third phase, Plan A 2020, still 100 commitments but with a change of emphasis, all about engagement of their customers, employees and suppliers.
Mike Barry is currently the director of M&S Plan A.
Plan A Report 2015, Marks and Spencer
On the above diagram we can easily see a great summary of M&S Plan A, being the core purpose “enhancing lives every day” together with the four M&S principles, inspiration, in touch, innovation and integrity. Their resources and relationships are divided in six categories; financial, manufactured, intellectual, natural, social & relationship and human.
For making the Plan A easier to understand, last year M&S divided their 100 commitments in four different categories, economic, environmental social and supply chain, adopted from the global reporting initiative (G4) guidelines.
The 2005 World Summit on Social Development identified sustainable development goals, such as econom...
... middle of paper ...
...M&S has been awarded with over 220 awards covering all aspects of sustainability.
But is it everything about becoming more sustainable? Well this is a question that I cannot answer but I can give a hint, back in 2007 they made an investment of £200m, according to the last report, the net benefit since 2007 it has been of £625m. (Plan A Report 2015)
Is it possible to have any disadvantage?
I don’t think so. We must know that a simple fact of life is that any system based on the use of non-renewable resources is unsustainable. Despite all the warnings that we are headed for an ecological and environmental perfect storm, majority of companies and organizations do not work hard enough to change this so I just can say something to M&S, well done, if every company in the world did a bit of what we do, expectations of the future would me much hopeful.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Based on our business level strategy, the category we plan to be in will be a luxury, five-star hotel targeted towards international businesspeople. The name of the hotel will be ‘Namaste International Hotel.’ Namaste is a common greeting that originates from India and is used to acknowledge the divine spirit or soul of an individual (Geno). The greeting can be used by individuals of all ages. In Sanskrit, the term translates to “I bow to you” (Geno). Namaste has a spiritual connotation used to recognize that we are all one.... [tags: Business Plan]
2317 words (6.6 pages)
- Our plan is to have various t-shirt designs promoting “going green”. We also plan to have these designs printed on other things as well such as recycled bags. Our main colors that we are most definitely going to use are green on white, so that the green is very bold and simple, but we will offer other colors as well. We will use the best quality t-shirts and bags so that they will last for a long time and will be worth your money. The benefit for selling these shirts is that the customers will be our prime donator to our charities because their interest in our store is going towards our selected charities.... [tags: Business Plan]
710 words (2 pages)
- The name of my business will be International Discount Auto Parts; my main objective will be to provide national and international customers with quality auto parts at a discounted price from that of our competitors. I have chosen to open my business as a sole proprietorship because this is the most simplest type of business to set up and because this will give me control over the business. Accounting plays a very important role in any business; therefore, I will be sure to hire an accounting staff that has experience with record keeping, internal controls, and cash management.... [tags: Business Plan]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- The Strategic Plan of Able Limited a subsidiary company of Walden International details goals for the next ten years. The plan also encompasses the strategies to achieve our initiative of breaking and leading in the global market and measures by which we will evaluate our progress. This plan is created in consideration of all our stakeholders. The plan will be updated yearly which will enable us to give account of our achievements, need for modification on new mission requirements and how to improve on our performance measurement ways.... [tags: Business Plan]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- Table of Contents Executive summary 2 The company 2 Company description 2 Vision statement 3 Mission statement 3 Objective 3 Company background 4 Product/ service and industry 4 Product/ service description 4 Industry description 5 The market 5 Market and target customer 5 Competition and competitive advantage 6 Marketing strategy 6 Overall strategy 7 Sales plan 7 Competitive plan 7 Research and development or growth plan 8 The organization 8 Legal and organizational structures 8 Key personnel 8 Related service providers 8 Location 9 The financials 9 Critical risks 9 Income statement 9 Cash flow projection 10 Balance sheet 10 Start- up costs 10 Assumptions 11 Schedule 11 Conclusion 11 Refere... [tags: Business Plan for Cosmetics Company]
3000 words (8.6 pages)
- Sattar Buksh Sattar Buksh (Sat-tar Bux-sch) is a Pakistani restaurant/café and merchandize seller based on indigenous Pakistani art and “the common, wise man on the street who has a strong entitled opinion on every subject” named Sattar Buksh. 1. Did you have a business plan when you started your business. Initially we only joked about starting such a business, but then we realized that our idea was actually viable and so we started planning out our business starting from the personality sketch of our fictional brand ambassador “Sattar Buksh”.... [tags: Management, Entrepreneurship, Business plan]
1783 words (5.1 pages)
- Outgoing travel is an organisation based on the idea of fun and freedom. If you are part of a society, club, international society or just a group of friends, they make it easy to organise life changing trips to destinations and events throughout the UK & Europe. They organise day trips, weekend breaks, events and festivals and many other exciting ventures for anyone with a sense of excitement and fun. Where is the company located. The address of a local outgoing travel organisation is located below: 25 Brunswick Rd Manchester, Greater Manchester, M20 4QB Tel: 0161 610 2000 The company’s main objectives.... [tags: business plan, travel,]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- Budget The budget is projected over three quarters as indicated below. Additional monetary resources will budgeted in accordance with long-term phased implementation plan. Quarter Projected Budget Projected Profit/Loss Projected Website Rank 1 $90,000 ($22,000) 39 2 $50,000 $210,000 22 3 $65,000 $407,000 13 Resources Primus Securities will hire technology professionals. The technology team will initially include a system administrator, webmaster, and a maintenance programmer, and it should be expanded as necessary in the future.... [tags: Business Plan Development]
1757 words (5 pages)
- Business Plan: Surf and Skate Shop I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY If I were to start my own business, my dream would be to build a surf and skate shop on the Southern California coast. My business would be located on beachfront property in the surrounding area. This business plan will cover two main subjects, 1: an Analysis of the Business Situation, and 2: the Planned Operation of the proposed business. The first topic will cover the subtopics Trading Area Analysis and Competition in the area for my business.... [tags: Business Plan Entrepreneurship]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- Economics Plan for a Business ROUND 1 I decided to produce seven (7) units based on the initial guidance of requiring less than 20 units being produced. The guidance also stated that in past production cycles I produced between 1-10 units. The next factor was the Market Research and the composition of a total of six companies that manufacture the same product. This led me to determine that the market demand forecast would be between $50K and $100K per unit considering all six companies. Upon selecting the total number of units seven and the other companies populated with lesser units I determined that I would receive the larger market share overall.... [tags: Business Economics Plan]
1265 words (3.6 pages)