Hydroxyl radical, hydrogen peroxide, singlet oxygen, super oxide anion and free radicals consist of reactive oxygen species. These reactive species will cause damage to the biological molecules. The damaged bio molecules might initiate certain diseases or might lead to the worsening of the existing diseases. Free radicals are reactive ions that can cause progression of diseases like diabetes, immunosuppression, metabolic injury, atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, aging, and Parkinson’s disease.
Diseases that result from the oxidative stress could be prevented by the exogenous antioxidants such as tocopherols, flavonoids, vitamin C, carotenoids and various phenolic compounds. Some commonly used synthetic antioxidants are butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT). Natural antioxidants in plants can prevent the diseases by reducing the oxidative damage created by bio macromolecules.
Various harmful pathogens cause several diseases to human beings. When the defense mechanisms in the humans is not sufficient for fighting against the pathogens, certain chemotherapeutic drugs have been introduced. Haphazard usage of these drugs has led to the development of drug resistant strains. So, there is an extreme necessity to generate alternatives for synthetic drugs. The answer for this problem can emerge from the use of aromatic herbs and spices. Spices and aromatic herbs have antimicrobial and antioxidant features.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg is the dried seed of the Myristica fragrans Houtt. It has anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-diarrheal properties. Nutmeg also acts as a memory enhancer and aphrodisiac. This study concentrates on investigatin...
... middle of paper ...
...reverse the process and hence the rate of antioxidation by the nutmeg extract is inversely related to the oxidation of beta-carotene. The acetone extract showed this activity as 74.36+/-1.94percent, and ethanol extract as 38.47+/-1.31percent. BHT showed this activity as 94.9+/-1.03percent.
Antimicrobial activity of the extracts
In this study, it is proved that nutmeg extracts showed antimicrobial activity against bacteria and fungi that are pathogenic.
GC-MS of acetone extract
The acetone extract of nutmeg seed consisted of the chemicals like sabinene, beta-pinene, myristicin, terpinen-4-ol, limonene, gamma-terpinene, p-menth-2-en-1-ol, elemicin, isoeugenol, p-menth-2-en-1-ol, myrcene, alpha-phellandrene, terpinolene, lonalool, and p-cymene.
In conclusion, the current study has elaborated the antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of different nutmeg extracts.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- You have seen them advertised everywhere. Magazines and television commercials are always displaying ads for an antioxidant supplement. Before knowing if you need them it is important to know what they are. There are powerful and much needed supplements especially for those of us who do not eat enough fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants are beneficial in keeping our bodies healthy. We are all searching for ways to improve our health and to look and feel younger. Antioxidants are meant to protect the cells in our body from damage caused by free radicals.... [tags: Antioxidants]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- Various mushrooms that have been widely used in Korea, China and Japan as health booster and ancient herbal medicine. A variety of mushrooms have been used traditionally in different cultures for the maintenance of health and in the prevention and treatment of various diseases . Medicinal mushroom is used as a folk medicine in Western Ghats of India. Mushroom metabolites or other related compounds could be used to develop neutraceuticals or drugs effective against pathogenic microorganisms resistant to conventional treatments.... [tags: medicine, bacteria, research]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Secret Super-fruits to Get Back Your Glowing. Super-fruits are the one that are deemed super, by nutrition scientists. The super-fruits contain antioxidants that prevent cell damage. Fibre, vitamins and minerals, together with other nutrients are also contained in these fruits. The contents found in super fruits will functionally help one live longer, look better and also disease prevention. Some of these super fruits widely found are; Apples: They are one of the common super fruits. They contain quercetin in its skin, an antioxidant that stores antihistamine and anti-inflammatory power.These composition within the apple protects heart diseases, together with allergic reactions.... [tags: Vitamin C, Antioxidant, Nutrition, Skin]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- Do you know how to use antibiotics correctly. Firstly, it is important to make a distinction between antimicrobial and antibiotic. Antimicrobial is any compounds that would be used to treat or prevent numerous infections, and could be included anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-protozoal (HMA Definitions, 2012). Antibiotic, or anti-bacterial, is a drug made by substances obtained by different microorganisms and fungi, and it is used to treat bacterial infections, avoiding the growth or killing the bacteria.... [tags: Bacteria, Antibiotic resistance, Penicillin]
2062 words (5.9 pages)
- Introduction Since the beginning of the antibiotic error in the mid 20th century, antimicrobial resistance has been recognized. The increased use of antimicrobial agents in the recent years has resulted in the development of resistance to these drugs. Clinical threats have however been minimized by the availability of newer agents (Bonomo & Tolmasky 2007). The World Health Organization (WHO) defines antimicrobial resistance as the resistance of a microorganism to an antimicrobial medicine to which it was previously sensitive (WHO 2012).... [tags: Medical Research]
1818 words (5.2 pages)
- Spices are natural compounds derived from different parts of a plant which are commonly used as flavoring, aroma and preservatives. The essential oil content and oleoresins present in the spices have given them the flavoring and aroma. In addition, the essential oil can also act as a natural preservative in foods (Ceylan and Fung, 2004). Other than flavoring, aroma and preservatives, spices have many therapeutic properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, chemopreventive and antifungal. The antimicrobial properties of spices have led to the development of plant-origin antibiotics so as to overcome the antibiotic resistant problems.... [tags: plants, antibiotic resistants]
1043 words (3 pages)
- Antibiotics have long provided effective treatment against bacterial infections. The creation of drugs like penicillin, streptomycin, and tetracycline allowed doctors to treat common bacterial infections that were once debilitating and even fatal. As antibiotic use has grown over the past several decades, bacteria have developed modes of resistance that have rendered some antibiotics useless. As these “super bugs” have become more resilient and resistant to treatment, researchers have begun to explore new ways of treating infections.... [tags: antibiotics, defensins]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Christmas with Nutmeg Our memories of Christmas time at 17142 Eastview Dr. were perfect. The Christmas tree was covered with hundreds of twinkle lights and unique ornaments. The tree was flanked by a gorgeous brick fireplace that seemed to always have a fire burning inside of it, and whose mantle was decorated with my family's collection of miniature nutcrackers. The final touch to this setting was our dog, sitting in her favorite spot, that was directly to the right of the fireplace, beneath the chair that you would always find my father in while reading my sister and me Christmas stories.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing, Christmas,]
425 words (1.2 pages)
- 3. Results and Discussion 3.1. Phytochemical analysis Phytochemicals, especially phenolics are known to be major bioactive compounds for health benefits. Plant extracts containing different classes of polyphenols are very attractive in the food industry. Therefore, in this study, the total phenolics content and total flavonoids content of the faba beans’ extract were investigated. Folin-Ciocalteu phenol method estimated a total phenolic content of 22.415 GAE equivalents (µg GAE/mg sample). The presence of a high phenolic amount in the faba seeds indicates its potential as a good natural antioxidant.... [tags: UNderutilized Legume Vicia Faba Seeds]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- Antioxidant Vitamins and Cancer Cancer is one of the world's number one killers; nearly 75% of all Americans are affected by this disease. Thus, much time and research has been put into finding a preventative means of slowing the deaths attributed to this disease. Research by the scientific community coupled with propaganda from the media has brought antioxidants to the forefront in preventative medicine against cancer. This site will discuss what the claims are about antioxidant vitamins and what science has shown to in fact be true.... [tags: Medicine Medical Essays Health]
1313 words (3.8 pages)