In order for one to be a successful leader, one must fully understand his or her strengths and weaknesses. Kevin Panicker, a participant in the Banner Community Service Program at the University of Richmond once said that "it is of great importance to recognize ones strengths and weaknesses because only then can one realize his or her capabilities and limitation. Recognizing limitations allows humility and the acknowledgement that leaders cannot succeed at everything." (Komives, Lucas &McMahon,2007). A good leader must be able to manage his or her weaknesses so that they do not overcome their strengths or manage them so as to make them strengths. A good example of someone who was able to manage her weaknesses so as to showcase her strengths was Helen Keller. Although she became blind and deaf at the age of 19 months, she was still able to mange her weaknesses which were being deaf and blind to being the first deaf and blind person to obtain a bachelor of arts degree (Afb.org,2014). Leadership is mostly inherent and as such leaders try to complement themselves...
... middle of paper ...
...knows about himself. I agree with Drucker when he says mangement is doing things right whiles leadership is doing the right things.
Afb.org,. (2014). Helen Keller Biography - American Foundation for the Blind. Retrieved 21 April 2014, from http://www.afb.org/info/about-us/helen-keller/biography-and-chronology/biography/1235
Goodreads.com,. (2014). Criss Jami Quotes (Author of Luke Wood presents More than a Million Words) (page 2 of 14). Retrieved 22 April 2014, from http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/4860176.Criss_Jami?page=2
Goodreads.com,. (2014). The Essential Drucker Quotes by Peter F. Drucker. Retrieved 21 April 2014, from http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2086954-the-essential-drucker-the-best-of-sixty-years-of-peter-drucker-s-essent
Komives, S., Lucas, N., & McMahon, T. (2007). Exploring Leadership (2nd ed.). Sans Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Introduction: Some scholars and business experts have attempted to define an effective leader, but we are not unanimous of what actually defines an effective leader. This assignment seeks to compare the characteristics of two leaders, and to analyse their effectiveness as leaders. I would test their traits, behaviors, experience and values to prove how these abilities were able to influence and organize their respective groups in achieving the organization goals and strategies. 1. Leadership – Effective Leadership Earlier perspectives on leadership focused on the position of the leader in the organization which led to theories and research on how positional leaders carry out their aims i... [tags: experiences, behaviors, biographies]
534 words (1.5 pages)
- In the scenario, Kate Dyer has repeatedly found Susan her subordinate, to be consistently behind in her work. In addition Susan has failed to submit a detailed list of suggestions of how her duties might be divided among her co-workers. However, leadership is only effective when the executive leader can examine their own performance and leadership style. Asking Susan to draft up a detailed list, of how to share her job duties among her staff members is actually Kate’s management function. Finally, Kate is neglecting her management duties of determining why Susan is unable to complete her assigned job duties.... [tags: Leadership]
543 words (1.6 pages)
- What Makes Jack Welch an Effective Leader. ---ideas from the article “Will Legacy Live On?” Before I talk about what makes Jack an effective leader, I want to explain briefly why I chose him as my study subject. Why do I like him. Jack Welch created a new model for business leaders everywhere. His genius leadership and management techniques are an example to anyone aspiring to a successful career. Why is he so famous. He became the youngest CEO and Chairman of one of America's biggest and most respected companies (General Electric) at age 44, and successfully rewrote the rules of what an incredibly profitable and successful company should be, and had fun in the process.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Leadership is a term on which no one can develop a mutual consensus as it carries a different meaning for ach individual. Some people may consider a person as their leader who is capable of taking them away from hardships, some people may consider the one as their leader who is quite charismatic and can show them dreams of a bright future or some people may consider that man as a leader who can make them progress by devising wise strategies for them etc. There is, somehow, something very common in all the perspectives that are the philosophy behind the definition, which is related to choosing a best of the best person as their leader.... [tags: leader, leadership]
3482 words (9.9 pages)
- What makes a good leader. It depends. Most organizations look for individuals that have something to offer when they look at credentials or a great interview but looks can be deceiving does a good manager necessarily mean that a good leader I do not think so. Leadership is a topic that will have to be address by every organization .In my opinion no organization will be able to prosper without good leadership. Even though no two leaders are they, same there are plenty of leadership styles and as leaders we have to have to have experience and time to grow and we will eventual find out what type of leaders we are.... [tags: Leadership]
2556 words (7.3 pages)
- Leadership Attributes and the alignment to the ISLLC The attributes a leader should possess is effective communication, respect, dedication, goal-oriented, credibility, and approachable. Exemplary Leadership Practice The ISLLC Standard Effective Communication Standard 1 Respect Standard 5 Dedication Standard 1/Standard 3 Goal oriented Standard 1 Credibility Standard 5/Standard 6 Approachable Standard 5 Effective Communication Effective communication is an attribute of a leader that aligns with standards 1 of the ISLLC standards.... [tags: respect, dedication, credibility]
1287 words (3.7 pages)
- In order to be an effective leader there are traits involved as well as a competency to lead. Failure to take into account the personality traits a successful leader should possess can lead to employing a leader who is ineffective. Many times people are promoted into leadership positions due to the longevity of their tenure with a company or how they perform in their current positions. As a member of the management team of Dr. Pepper Snapple Group I have observed that there is more to becoming a successful leader than experience and tenure.... [tags: Leadership]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- What Makes an Effective President An effective president is one who must have certain traits in order to lead the country in the best way. Such things would include being the best in: Economic, Foreign and Domestic Affairs, Party Leader, Chief Executive, and Commander in Chief. I believe this because some of our presidents in the past in some form have demonstrated these things. An effective president is one who gets the jobs done under all types of measures. In order to take care of the United States I believe a person has to be a little conniving as well.... [tags: Papers]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction Leadership is a process by which a person influences others to accomplish an objective and directs the organization in a way that makes it more cohesive and coherent (Clark, 1997). Leaders carry out this process by applying their leadership attributes, such as beliefs, values, ethics, character, knowledge, and skills. Bass' (1989 & 1990) theory of leadership states that there are three basic ways to explain how people become leaders. These theories are; some personality traits may lead people naturally into leadership roles.... [tags: Leadership Management Leader Business]
1867 words (5.3 pages)
- Good leaders are made not born. If you have the desire and willpower, you can become an effective leader. Good leaders develop through a never ending process of self-study, education, training, and experience. This guide will help you through that process. To inspire your workers into higher levels of teamwork, there are certain things you must be, know, and, do. These do not come naturally, but are acquired through continual work and study. Good leaders are continually working and studying to improve their leadership skills; they are NOT resting on their laurels.... [tags: Leadership Essays]
1330 words (3.8 pages)