“When the purpose of knees, was to be scrapped” The author gracefully describes an image of a bruise on a child’s knee. Perhaps the mother was going to tend to such a cut. This carefree image continues throughout the poem as the watermelon is described as an “imperial fruit,” only to cause excitement and hunger. The spirit of youth is something that cannot be described in words. A child’s imagination of limitless . On a beautiful summer day, it is not uncommon for a group of explorers to sea...
... middle of paper ...
...fruit. For him, the fruit was favored. It was part of his youth because the tastes incited by watermelon were enjoyed at such a pleasurable time. Maybe it is the fact that stress was nonexistent, or it could have been the time spent with family. The sun and free time is a reward for hard work and at a young age, there may not be much work to be done.
The poem written by John Tobias describes a youthful summer enjoyed with the company of watermelon. For him the fruit is related to scraped knees, friendship, and parched lips. This is a time of happiness and joy and that why the memories are so fond. The watermelon comes into play because it is a fruit that is best enjoyed in the summer. The significance watermelon holds varies for every person although it can be said for everyone that during the warm summer months, this ripe fruit can only serve to revive the senses
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It was one hot summer day in Lac La Biche and I was with my landlord’s 11-year-old daughter drawing on the sidewalk with chalk. I had been living there for a couple days for a placement with Alberta Health Services and it was on this day that I realized that Auria was unique. She had welcomed me into her home with open arms and on this Saturday afternoon she was ecstatic to play outside with me and show me all her toys. I had an idea of Auria’s learning disability from reading with her the night before.... [tags: Occupational therapy, Therapy, Autism, Psychology]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- In Watermelon Sugar and Tunnel Music The clearest vision of reality is often the most abstract. While the rise of science and progress suffocate the notion of an extrasensory experience within the reading of literature, the phenomena persist. Meanings are communicated, participating in a magnificent cosmic-cultural aura, penetrating a communication of meaning, intent, and scandalously--truth. There is a process of intertextuality occurring, a conversation between authors, texts themselves, and the readers who venture to interpret them.... [tags: Watermelon Sugar]
1287 words (3.7 pages)
- It was a hot summer on March in 2015, one of the hottest ones that I can recalled. I was getting out of my physics lass, semi conscious and with my stomach crumbling for food when one of my friends texted me and invited me some brunch. I was happy and positive about the fact that I was going to have a spot to sit in the cafeteria at noon. However, as I feared the cafeteria was totally busy and there was a huge line in front of the register and another huge line in the place where you picked the food, at that moment I reconsidered my options and I thought the best idea was to stay inside the library next to the cafeteria while my friend reached the place.... [tags: Student, International student, Thought]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- This poem begins with the question; Shall I compare the woman that is his lover to a summer day. The tenderness and compassion that they share, he chose to compare their love to a summer day. The theme in poem speaks of summertime, which is primarily known for being a time where flowers have bloomed, the days along, clear and beautiful. In this poem the speaker uses summer to symbolize his love, comparing it to winter. In most cases, people’s tend to compare summer with the lovely times that people have, in comparison to winter when the weather gets cold and flowers die, trees lose their leaves and hibernate.... [tags: Debut albums, Life, Death, Season]
806 words (2.3 pages)
- ... The vicious creature had attacked me. Paralyzed with fear, I felt a gaping hole ripped in my face. My skin felt gnarled, chiseled and raw. Blood gushed down my severed cheek. Tremors surged my body. Drops of hemoglobin splattered all over the sidewalk. My mind lapsed into a blur of daze and confusion. Patrick and Tommy yelled for help. The neighbors stopped and dashed to my aid. My mom rushed to my side. The small vicious creature ran off. The owners of the friendly retriever remained to help.... [tags: personal narrative]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- On a hot day towards the beginning of September, I decided to go on a hike. I went with a friend by the name of Tyler, both 16 at the time, on a hike to the top of Bridal Veil Falls found in the Spearfish canyon. We planned on going rock hounding, which is a hobby of ours. Another main focus of ours was to experience the beautiful waterfall in a unique way. Unlike everyone else looking up at it from ground, we would get to see the waterfall’s source and watch it rush over the edge. With our hiking packs full of tools and water for the hike, we took off not expecting what was to come.... [tags: Root, Tree, Debut albums, Hiking]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- It’s a beautiful summer day. The sun is shining and the breeze is blowing. You decide to make a run to Sonic for a creamy shake that’s ice cold. Once you make it there, place and receive your order, you decide to sit outside and sip on your tasty treat. A few minutes pass and you notice something strange. People are staring at you. Their faces show nothing but pure disgust. You begin wracking your mind; looking for an explanation as to why these people are looking at you the way they are. You can’t seem to think of anything.... [tags: Breastfeeding, Breast milk, Lactation, Infant]
1283 words (3.7 pages)
- What is the last thing you would went hear as a student. Being told that you have to repeat the same grade, again. I have gotten this news in the 8th grade, which for a lot of people is weird because they would usually get left back within the 1st or 2nd grade. During the regular school year I had failed the finally English Exam, which lead to going to summer school where I taking an English class and retaking the English Exam. However, going to the last day to find out my result was a depressing because I had found out that I had failed the exam.... [tags: High school, Teacher, Must See TV, College]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Author Note: I can 't believe that it 's Father 's day and the means that it 's time to write this storyline. I don 't know how much word count I will get for this storyline but hopefully it 's a good amount for you all. By the way Happy First day of Summer. Steve: Married to Mia and father to Sophia. Mia: Married to Steve and mother to Sophia. Sophia: Daughter of Steve and Mia Steve was at work while Mia and Sophia were getting their arts and crafts done for the day. Mia tries to keep this in their schedule everyday but it doesn 't normally happens.... [tags: Marriage, Family, Mother, 2006 singles]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- One of my favorite family traditions is summer vacation. Every summer without fail we go on vacation. For the past ten years we have been going to Disney World with our family friends the Battaglia's, so it has turned into a tradition up until last summer when we broke our florida adventure to go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We have been going on vacation with the Battaglia's for so long for a very good reason. It is because everyone gets along. My mom, Mr. Battaglia and Mrs. Battaglia are very good friends.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
432 words (1.2 pages)