Essay PreviewMore ↓
Technology has become and is a daily part of our life. Having technology makes our way of doing things a lot easier. On our everyday life we have technology supporting our basic needs from home, at work, and at school. For the most part technology is used in a positive way in our daily life. However and unfortunately some technologies are used the wrong way. Using technology to cheat in today’s society has become a lot more accessible and easier to do especially in an academic environment.
Academic dishonesty has been a big issue that many faculties have to deal with all the time in classrooms in today’s academic environment. In a report founded by Thomas & O’Reilly (2002), “74 percent of American students admit to cheating on an exam. So imagine how many really are. Forty percent of adolescents say they have stolen from a store and a whopping 93 percent say they lie.” With such a huge percentage of students cheating with the use of technology, it has become an epidemic that is spreading like wild fire. Since technology was introduced in the class environment, it has become the number one concern to some instructors because many students are not using it too learn, but instead students are using technology to cheat in assignments and other work that may involve school work.
There are so many ways that students use technology to cheat and so many devices that they use to accomplish this unethical behavior. The many different things that are commonly used in today’s society to make our life easier, but it is used in the wrong way are mostly small hand-held devices. Such things are cell phones, digital camera, PDA’s and lap-tops. These items are so high tech that they are able to store large amount of data that can be utilized to gather information to be used in assignments, exams and homework in the ways of cheating. Rather than worry about study for the test, students simply break into database and change their final grade.
But one question that is being asked is why students get to that point of risking everything that they have worked for. What can be a way of preventing students from using technology to cheat? Some reasons that can be mentions for the cause of a student having to cheat are: getting a good grade, lack of time to do the assignments, not being able to study on time and or just being lazy and not willing to put fort the effort.
How to Cite this Page
"Using Technology to Cheat in School." 123HelpMe.com. 05 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Using Technology to Cheat Cheating in the classroom has been happening since the first schoolhouse was built; however, it has more than doubled in the last decade due to the emergence of new technologies that give students high tech alternatives to looking at their classmate's paper. "A 2002 survey by the Josephson Institute of Ethics of 12,000 high-school students found that 74 % of students had cheated on an exam at least once in the previous year. According to Donald McCabe, who conducted the Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, study, the Internet is partly to blame.... [tags: Cheating Plagiarism Technology]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- The Use of Technology to Cheat “What’s the answer to question number 19” asked the boy sitting next to Laura. Adjusting a seat or tilting a head to be able to look at a class mate paper is as prehistoric as are dinosaurs. Cheating has occurred since the erection of the first schoolhouse. However, it has since been taken to a new level over the last decade or so. That can be accredited in part to the new high tech alternatives that have emerged within our societies. No more answers written on small pieces of papers with words so tiny that only a microscope can see them or the palms of ones hands fully covered in ink.... [tags: Technology Negative Impact]
1974 words (5.6 pages)
- Using Technology to Cheat Cheating on tests and exams has come a long way from writing on ones skin or clothing and hiding crib notes, too the use of high tech gadgets to get an A. Advances in technology have also made it easier to cheat on homework and term papers. “The number of students admitting to cheating has increased significantly over the past 60 years, and students aren’t just cheating to pass, they are cheating to get ahead.”(Education-Portal, n.d. ) Why Students Cheat The pressure to get through college faster and with top grades is growing stronger every year.... [tags: Plagiarism Cheating Technology]
1807 words (5.2 pages)
- Abstract Technology is growing at an exponential rate; this presents many challenges and advantages to online and campus students alike. The potential and ability to cheat is greatly increased. In the days before this "technology boom" answers were being written on hands, arms, and anything else that was capable of being marked on. Now cheating is more than easy. With mp3 players, camera phones and PDA's cheating is literally just a click away. Team A will show how technology has increased by showing the various different ways to cheat, what students think about cheating, and what teachers are doing to prevent it.... [tags: Technology Cheating Plagiarism ]
1586 words (4.5 pages)
- Despite knowing that they may get caught, many students still choose to cheat. In a study done by Northumbria Leaning over half of the respondents supported the use of anti-plagiarism software but still thought that they could get away with it (Lagerkvist, 2006). Cheating has blossomed in pace with technology. With all the answers at their fingertips, how will today’s students learn the consequences of cheating. Students today cheat for a number of different reasons. First among these is the fact that it is easy to do.... [tags: Cheating Plagiarism Academic Dishonesty]
1901 words (5.4 pages)
- Thirty-six percent of students in high school admitted to cheating (“A Cheating Crisis”). Students feel overwhelmed with the homework load that teachers assign the students. Students feel the pressure to do well in school from both parents and teachers. Teachers do not fully understand why the students feel the need to cheat. Students cheat in school for many reasons, but a few reasons are not understanding material, not asking the teacher, wanting to pass without doing the work, not studying for a quiz, procrastination, pressure from parents and teachers, the use of technology, and finally the attitude of not caring about passing.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Want]
1064 words (3 pages)
- Abstract Academic dishonesty, specifically cheating and plagiarism, recently has increased in popularity. Students often justify unethical academic behavior. Technological innovations, like the cellular telephone, have provided students with new methods of cheating. Plagiarism has also been influenced through technologies, specifically internet companies have emerged that provide unethical solutions to academic assignments. Academic Dishonesty: Applying Technology to Cheat Defined as any "theft of ideas and other forms of intellectual property whether they are published or not" (Jones, et al, 2001), academic dishonesty occurs often, usually in the form of cheating or plagiarizing.... [tags: cell phones, Education, plagiarism, internet]
1468 words (4.2 pages)
- WHY STUDENTS CHEAT The problem of why students cheating are a big dilemma in our society now a day. Many educational institutions or private colleges have been facing for years. It is an old misconduct that students bring since they were in elementary school because nobody wants to be the second in the class. There are many organizations that have done research to prove the amount of students that cheat. They have found much kind of reasons why students feel the necessity to commit fraud. “ According to Gary Niels ’ most young people cheat at least once in their high school career’,3 Top Reasons Why Students Cheat”.... [tags: studying, fraud, effort]
633 words (1.8 pages)
- Technology is nothing. Technology, in itself, is neither good nor bad. Technology is neither right nor wrong. Technology is simply whatever someone makes it be. How technology becomes good or bad depends on the use of it. Or in a lot of cases, how much of it is used. In the case of America’s society, there is often an overuse of technology. Instead of using technology to help, often times, we let it do all the work. The American society is infatuated with technological devices. There is an overuseage of cell phones and other devices from parents and children alike.... [tags: Mobile phone, Technology, Text messaging]
1757 words (5 pages)
- The Prevalence of Cheating in School Cheating is a big issue that has reached the most competitive campuses around the United States. It is increasing more and more with the new technology that we have in the 21st century because students have easy access to many sources of information. Cheating is something all students have done at some point in their lives, but as they reach a higher academic level, they are faced with more rigorous consequences that can affect their futures in many different ways.... [tags: High school, University, Academic dishonesty]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
In order to have a clear understanding of what students do is unethical, it is important to explain what the term cheat means. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, it describes cheating as the act of being dishonest or the practice of fraud. Even though all faculties have strict policies about ethical issues, student seems to not care about the policies published by the faculties. With having no care, it really becomes an issue for teachers and other student that my be doing the right thing.
Using technology to cheat in class room has become a big issue for the educational system and it is only growing as technology gets better everyday. According to Lagerkvist (2006), “Overall cheating in exams has risen by over quarter and of those who where caught had smuggled in mobile phones or devices.” Many researches have showed how many students use technology to pass tests, to write papers and to complete assignments that should have been done by the student. Technology is supposed to be used by student to increase knowledge and help to develop intelligent, but instead, students used it as an easy way of getting the grades they desire to accomplish their educational goal. According to Davision (2003), “When it comes to education, the challenge for those of us who care passionately about such things is how we deal with
that 70-80 percent of students in the middle cheating. What can we do to influence students in this group of cheater and help them care deeply about honor—about speaking the truth, about doing the right thing even when no one is looking, about having a keen sense of ethical conduct, about making all this an essential part of our lives?” The way students are using or abusing technology can be very harmful for the future of students and how the classroom environment will be. The harmful effect of using technology is having the lack of knowledge of what they as in the student know what the true meaning of education is and the things they should have learned. Since they are not making any effort to learn, the only thing that’s important for them is to get a good note to pass the class to move to the next level. Students do not realize that they have started a chain of lies and fraud that will eventually catch up to them in the long run. Cheating is a bad habit, when it’s been done one time it is already to late to stop, history repeats itself. Because of this, when a student moves to the next level of there career they are unprepared and unable to maintain the good grades because they have not a clue about what is being taught. Due to this, a student has less options of continuing with their education in an honest way which in turn leads to more cheating and sometimes leads to unnecessary legal action. Sometime society put a lot of pressure in young people’s mind. Students are told that if they do not do well in school they will not be able to get a good job in the future. This is one of the first things that comes to the students’ mind when they are having some difficulties at school or in college, and because they do not want their future to be ruin because a bad note that they got in that assignment, their next move to get that assignment or the test answers in an unethical way. Krivy (1998) wrote in his report at the Philadelphia Tribune “Many young people men and women report that academic cheating is just an extension of society’s attitude that places so little value on honesty. Honest students seem to be very reluctant to point to others who are being dishonest, the golden rule her being, “thou shalt not rat.””
It has to be a way to stop this epidemic that is spreading everyday in schools and college. Students are already adults trying to build up a good future. They need to realize that cheating is something that will comeback to them at any time. Some methods they should implement to avoid this unethical behavior is planning ahead; having a study plan will help them to organize and prioritized assignments. At the same time is important to know how to search for information and when to look for help when need it. With that being said, it does not mean that the help that they need is available in somebody else iPod or electronic device that is being used to cheat. Another important thing is to learn how to manage the time; this and prioritizing things will make possible the accomplishment of the assignments on time.
When technology was introduced into the class room its purpose was to assist student with learning, but nowadays it is use to promote laziness and unethical behavior among students. Technology has become and is a daily part of our life. Having technology makes our way of doing things a lot easier by supporting our basic needs from home, at work, and at school. Students get stress out when is time for the final exams and assignments, at this point is when the look for a way to cheat so the can move on to the next level. Some techniques that students should use to avoid this fraud are to try to management their time, at the same time working with an organize plan that will help the prioritized their assignment so the can be finished on time. For the most part technology is used in a positive way in our daily life. Unfortunately some technologies are used the wrong way. Using technology to cheat in today’s society has become a lot more accessible and easier to do especially in an academic environment.
Howarth, F. (2004). Securing Campus Networks: A University Case Study. Faulkner Information Services. Retrieved January 25, 2008, from http://swtuopproxy.museglobal.com
Lagerskvist, A. (2006). Students Using Technology to Cheat. Retrieved January 25, 2008, from
Davison, R. (2003). Fostering Honor in Schools. Independent School; Winter 2003 Vol. 62 Issue 2, p74, 4p, 1bw. Retrieved January 25, 2008, from http:swtuopproxy.museglobal.come.
Scholastic News (2003). Sticky Situation. Retreived January 25, 2008, from Scholastic News-Editiion 4; 2/16/2008, Vol. 66 Issue 16, p7-7, 1/3p, 1c http://swtuopproxy.museglobal.com.
Thomas, C., O’Reilly (2002). Flashback:Cheating in School Is Rampant. Retrieved January 25, 2008, from http://swtuopproxy.museglobal.com.