It is common practice to shape the world around us. By utilizing manufacturing processes we employ machines and raw materials to form final products and apply them to our surroundings. These applications are anything that changes a once stock or raw material into a usable item intended for a specified purpose. Manufacturing processes for example are things such as heat treating, machining, bending, grinding and cutting of the initial product. One kind of machine that is important to industry is called a waterjet. More specifically, a waterjet cutter is to be focused on in this article. The previously mentioned tool is aided to the cutting processes of manufacturing within special circumstances.
Waterjet is a generic term used to describe equipment that uses a high pressure stream of water for cutting or cleaning purposes. Waterjet is a type of machinery that separates into two categories of pure waterjet and abrasivejet. Pure waterjet and water-only cutting are phrases for specifically distinguishing waterjets that only uses water and no additives. Abrasivejet is a subcategory of waterjet in which abrasive materials are introduced to accelerate the process. However, these liquids do not do all the work on their own.
Waterjets work in quite a simple manner. The basic idea is the liquid of either type is pressurized and pumped through a system. Thereafter, it is forced it through a very small hole otherwise known as a nozzle opening. At this point, if the jet only contains pure water it is obviously considered a pure waterjet cutting device. Mix the water with an abrasive substance and you have a very thin stream, traveling very fast, that will rapidly erode most materials. Otherwise known as an abrasivejet cutt...
... middle of paper ...
...iece makes on others.
As it has been stated waterjets are a versatile and innovative tool. This paper hopefully clarified the ability and general uses of what a waterjet cutter can do. These attributes were explained to the fullest extent that was needed to be provided to understand the uses of this machine. As well as how these attributes affect industries that currently uses the tool and those that could benefit from its use. To review, waterjet cutting is a simple manufacturing process that aid in the creation of many finalized products through the pressurized spray of pure water or a water and abrasive mixture. The wide range of uses is only equal to the number of industries it can be used in. Furthermore, once in those industries the quality of final products are only effected by the operator or customers’ skill and imagination for problem solving.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Machining is the most important part of the the manufacturing process. The turning is one of the most commonly employed basic operations in the experimental work of metal cutting. The work material is held in the chuck of a lathe and is rotated. The tool is held rigidly in a tool post and moved at a constant rate along the axis of the feed bar, cutting away a layer of metal to form a desired profile. The components of cutting force acting on the tool are an important aspect of machining.... [tags: manufacturing process, metal cutting]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- 7 What are the major components of water cycle and water balance. The water cycle is the continuous movement of water on, above and below the surface of the Earth where water moves from one reservoir to another, such as from river to ocean, or from the ocean to the atmosphere, by the physical processes of evaporation, condensation, precipitation, infiltration, surface runoff, and subsurface flow. In this process, the water goes through different phases: liquid, solid and vapour. Water cycle involves exchange of energy, which leads to the change in the temperature.... [tags: Water, Hydrology, Evaporation, Water cycle]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- ... From the manufacturers’ claims, it is calculated that the average total hardness of bottled water is 29.25mg/L, in comparison to the total hardness of tap water which is 41.1mg/L, which still makes tap water harder than bottled water. In result, this meant that the hypothesis ‘bottled water will be harder than tap water as it comes from naturally occurring springs’ is incorrect as the results from the experiment prove that tap water is harder than bottled water. However, the hypothesis may still have a chance to be correct as there were many sources of error that was present in the investigation.... [tags: thank you water, evian water, tap water]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- One could make the argument that the quest for supersonic transport began on October 14, 1947, when Chuck Yeager reached Mach 1.06 in the Bell X-1 (Rediess, 2012). Since the 1950s, dreamers have envisioned technological advancements, including supersonic transport, most of which failed to materialize (Cochrane, 2012). Today, developers must ask the question, ‘Is a world, where the only commercial supersonic aircraft is retired (Candel, 2004), ready for a supersonic business jet?’ At least one company believes it is.... [tags: business jet, aerion, supersonic flight]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- The Basics A jet engine can be divided into several distinct sections: intake, compressor, diffuser, combustion chamber, turbine, and exhaust. These sections are much like the different cycles in a four-stroke reciprocating engine: intake, compression, power and exhaust. In a four-stroke engine a fuel/air mixture is is brought into the engine (intake), compressed (compression), and finally ignited and pushed out the exhaust (power and exhaust). In it's most basic form, a jet engine works in much the same way.... [tags: physics jet jets engine engines]
1984 words (5.7 pages)
- Dripping Water Have you ever experienced water shortage. Have you ever paid to access public areas. Have you ever seen a brown river. Welcome to Lebanon. “Thousands have lived without love, none without water” (Auden, 1940). The genuine predicament lies in the mismanagement of the water resources, not in the amount of available water in Lebanon. As the international population is growing, the need for water is increasing at the same rate. Therefore, it is essential to manage the remaining resources rationally for the better of the international community.... [tags: Water, Water supply, Water resources]
1915 words (5.5 pages)
- The SCRAMJET, simply abbreviated from Supersonic Combustion Ramjet, is the latest evolution of the jet engine family. NASA made the news with each test of the X-43A scramjet craft, so I set about to discover why this type of jet engine should garner so much scientific attention. Turbojet The most basic jet engine is the turbojet. As soon as the air enters the front of the engine, the blades of the compressor, compresses the air before funneling it into the combustion chamber. During the compression, not only is the density of the air increased by compressing it in a confined chamber, but the temperature of the air also increases as the air molecules of squeezed closer together.... [tags: physics jet engine]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- Jet Blue has an opportunity to remain cutting edge in the airline industry by continuing to be low-cost and expanding carrier. A great market for Jet Blue to expand to would be towards the Caribbean's. As well as possibly lobbying Washington to lift travel sanctions in Cuba, which at one point was a major vacation getaway for Americans. This opportunity fits into Jet Blues current business model of short distance flights at a lower cost than the competition. Jet Blue is a shinning star in the gloomy airline industry.... [tags: Business Analysis Management Strategy]
1411 words (4 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Suyemoto and MacDonald (1995) reported that the incidence of self-mutilation occurred in adolescents and young adults between the ages of 15 and 35 at an estimated 1,800 individuals out of 100,000. The incidence among inpatient adolescents was an estimated 40%. Self-mutilation has been most commonly seen as a diagnostic indicator for Borderline Personality Disorder, a characteristic of Stereotypic Movement Disorder (associated with autism and mental retardation) and attributed to Factitious Disorders.... [tags: essays research papers]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- Jet Propulsion Propulsion is a word that is derived from two Latin words: pro meaning before or forwards and pellere meaning to drive. To push forward or drive an object forward is Propulsion. A propulsion system produces thrust to push an object forward. Newton’s third law is the basis of the generation of thrust on airplanes. The engine accelerates a gas, and the reaction to this acceleration produces a force on the engine. Different propulsion systems generate thrust in slightly different ways.... [tags: essays research papers]
362 words (1 pages)