Enterprises today face the challenge of successfully meeting organizational goals because the view of succession planning is separate from the business strategy. Ergo, succession planning must be incorporated into the company’s business strategy to ensure the preparation of future leaders for the rapidly changing business world. On the other hand, when current managers and executives do not recognize and tutor subordinates for leadership, he or she will have a preconception of being overlooked because of their gender, race, social class, and so forth. For instance, Marietta Diaz did not receive the supervisor position, and she believes the reason she did get the position because of her race and gender (Rothwell, 2016). With this scenario in mind, how can succession planning assist management and human capital develop career plans based on performance and include a diverse workforce?
Marietta Diaz: Overlooked for a supervisor position
Marietta Diaz was informed by her manager, Wilson Smith, that she did not obtain the supervisor position because of her deficiency of supervisory skills and experience and not because of her race and gender (Rothwell, 2016). Ms. Diaz internally struggles with the fact that she was in a nonsupervisory post just as Gordon Hague, the person promoted to supervisor, to acquire such skills (Rothwell, 2016). In this synopsis of Marietta Diaz, there are at least two flaws with this organization’s recognition and nonexistent succession plan to move employees into leadership positions.
First, Wilson Smith, Ms. Diaz’s manager, did not provide leadership readiness development plans for advancement in a leading role (Kleinsorge, 2010). When employees demonstrate signs or m...
... middle of paper ...
Ordinarily, succession planning is about the aligning people to positions that best suits the organization in that immediate moment. Furthermore, as the world continues to evolve, also makes the demand for a diverse workforce. That being the case, it is the responsibility of the corporate leaders to include succession planning in the business strategy to address leadership developmental problems, identify what is causing personnel in receiving inadequate training and attention, take corrective action to treat succession failure, and implement preventive measures for future leadership roles. When the top of the organization does not know what the bottom is doing, then opportunities are missed, and employees start to wonder how to gain the essential managerial skills such as Marietta Diaz if they are not pushed to flourish in their current job.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Management Planning Paper In management, each of the four functions, planning, organizing, leading, and controlling, are crucial to the development of any business. Involving employees in the planning process help them understand the goals of the organization. Planning is analyzing a situation, determining the goals that will be pursued, and deciding in advance the actions needed to pursue the goals. This paper will evaluate the planning function of the Halliburton Company and analyze the impact that legal issues, ethics, and corporate social responsibilities have on management planning along with examples of each, and analyze three factors that influence strategic, tactical, operational, a... [tags: Business management]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Succession planning is a standardized approach to an organization success in building a powerful leadership and a talented group of employees to ensure superior leadership continuation. It is essential that ABC Aircraft propose a succession plan in order to continue business beyond the next generation of leaders. Whether through private owner transfer to senior management or a leadership position transferred to a qualified family member, the purpose of the succession plan is to make it easier to continue the business success.... [tags: Business Management ]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Succession planning is a key part of filling leadership roles in the workforce. Leaders have been making decisions from the beginning of time. The term leader has many faces in life. Whether on a battlefield in ancient time or in modern society running a multimillion dollar business, leadership styles were used by leaders or managers to get results. A leaders effective succession planning builds the availability of experienced employees in all areas of an organization. When leaders talk about performance, we look at our business environment.... [tags: Business Management ]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Succession Planning and Talent Management: North Shore-LIJ Health System (NSLIJ), Virtua, Moses Cone Health System’s (MCHS) Soham Shah Succession Planning and Talent Management: North Shore-LIJ Health System (NSLIJ), Virtua, Moses Cone Health System’s (MCHS) Quality health care is precipitously deteriorating amongst the nation’s health care industry. The health industry trends of high turn over rates amongst staff and important key employees are creating a rift in profit margins, decreasing patient quality care, triggering higher expenses and loss of patients (Hunt, 2009).... [tags: Management, Leadership, Health care, Medicine]
2132 words (6.1 pages)
- The above gives you an idea of the options available for succession planning. In this part, you’ll find out more about the key considerations. Depending on your chosen route, some of the following points will be more important than others, but it is crucial you keep all of the points in mind when forming a succession plan. Sorting out finances Financial considerations are among the most important aspects of creating a succession plan. A succession is never cost-free and you need to be able to have enough money at hand to ensure a smooth transition.... [tags: Management, Thought, Entrepreneurship, Need]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Workforce Development and Succession Planning In a November 2014 article in the Journal of Healthcare Leadership, Daly et al. (2014) cite “the importance of effective clinical leadership in ensuring a high quality health care system that consistently provides safe and efficient care has been reiterated in the scholarly literature and in various government reports.” In recognition of this, Hallmark Health Systems has instituted a one-year leadership cohort program to develop nurse leaders in the system.... [tags: Health care, Health economics, Medicine]
1551 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Tim Cook was groomed for the role for many years. The late Steve Jobs had planned his succession for many years and as a result to ease the transition process of the successor, Steve Jobs built instructional and multi-media materials. (Bersin, 2011). Jeffrey R. Immelt’s succession of Jack Welch as CEO of GE is standout example of the horserace type of succession planning. From an initial list of 44 candidates, it was reduced to a group of 3 finalists at the end of 4 years. The entire process of choosing the successor took 6 years, 5 months and 2 days (Colvin, 2001).... [tags: internal or external candidate, organizations]
1502 words (4.3 pages)
- It has become essential for companies to maintain their competitive edge, especially in today’s rough economic times and diverse workplaces. One of the most important elements of a successful company is their human capital or simply stated; their employees. Human capital is defined as “the collective value of the capabilities, knowledge, skills, life experiences and motivation of an organizational workforce” (Mathis & Jackson, 2011). Every individual person has different characteristics and traits that can be brought to the organization.... [tags: Business Management ]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Diversity Awareness Differences in our society are many, including age, religion, physical and mental abilities, gender, sexual orientation, income, family or social status, and physical appearance. Anyplace where differences are found leaves room for stereotypes. Stereotypes are generalizations about people usually based on inaccurate information or assumptions rather than facts. (Wei, 1996) Stereotypes do not take into account the great diversity of people within a group of people. Nor do stereotypes consider the present circumstances of the individual.... [tags: Papers]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Succession Succession is where a pioneer species colonise an area, and gradually bring about changes so that other more complex species may also colonise the area, replacing the pioneers. The presence of the pioneer species signifies primary succession, which is basically the colonisation of bare rock. The abiotic conditions are extreme, with a very harsh climate which can only be survived by the pioneer species. An example of a pioneer species is lichen, which are found in the splash zone of a shore.... [tags: Free Essays]
369 words (1.1 pages)