When someone who is eighteen years or older has sexual intercourse with a minor it is considered rape regardless to if the sex is consensual or not. In most cases, but not all, the male is the adult and the female is the minor. In different places, the law varies. For instance, in some counties, if the difference in age is not at least five years, the court will not even bring the case to trial. But all of the laws everywhere are bias towards men. There is even a saying that says “sixteen will get you twenty.” “Sixteen” is the age of the girl, and “twenty” represents the amount of years a man would be sentenced to serve in jail if he was to have sexual intercourse with her.
Most states require that anyone convicted of a sex crime must register as a sexual offender in the National Sex Offender Registry. Registering in the sex offender registry could potentially be detrimental to...
... middle of paper ...
...he “victims” of these rapes, should not all be looked upon as weak and helpless because, in a lot of cases, the sex is consensual.
“EDITORIAL: House should bring rape law into 21st century.” Times-News, The (Twin Falls,
ID) 25 Mar. 2010: Points of View Reference Center. Web. 22 Nov. 2011.
Elton, Catherine. “Jail Baiting.” New Republic 217.16 (1997): 12. Points of View Reference
Center. Web. 22 Nov. 2011.
Jackson, Andrea. “Rupert defendant supports rape law reform.” Times-News, The (Twin Falls,
ID) 24 Mar. 2010: Points of View Reference Center. Web. 22 Nov. 2011.
Lowe, Zach. “Court clashes with couple’s values.” Advocate, The (Stamford, CT) 17 Mar. 2008:
Points of View Reference Center. Web. 22 Nov. 2011.
Lynch, Michael W. “Enforcing ‘Statutory Rape ‘?.” Public Interest 132 (1998): 3. Points of View
Reference Center. Web. 22 Nov. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Every two minutes someone in the world is being sexually assaulted or raped. In our generation, teenagers, use the words “ you’re raping me” to rough play with one another, the serious concept of rape is then minimized to light teasing; when in reality, rape physically and emotionally scars a person. There are ten different types of rape- sexual assault, child sexual abuse, drug facilitated assault, obsessive/ sadistic rape, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, stranger rape, and partner rape.... [tags: assault, victims, drugs]
842 words (2.4 pages)
- “What did you find out?” Sam asked as he walked into the library. “Turns out that all of the missing persons and bodies found were between sixteen and twenty-six,” Dean said as he continued to click through the missing person’s files. “They all also had B+ blood type.” “Great, we just have to walk around asking for everyone’s blood type,” Sam sighed. While it was a connection, he was hoping for something easily identifiable, like eye color. How in the world were they going to find a way to figure out everyone’s blood type.... [tags: Blood donation, Blood, Blood type, Blood bank]
1931 words (5.5 pages)
- Importance of Character in Jan Beatty's Poem, A Waitress's Instructions on Tipping or Get the Cash Up and Don't Waste My Time Jan Beatty's waitress teaches us that no amount of money can make up for poor character. The poem "A Waitress's Instructions on Tipping or Get the Cash Up and Don't Waste My Time" is a plea from a waitress, tired and overworked, to us, her customers. Throughout the first twenty-nine lines, she gives commands on how to tip and stresses the importance of money in the relationship between waitress and customer.... [tags: Waitress's Instructions on Tipping]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- So You Want to Be an Astronaut Part I: The Application There’s an application just to get an application. I had to fill out what NASA calls an application interest form, which is an information card much like the kind of card you fill out and send in for a magazine subscription. I got the card at the Johnson Space Center in Houston last summer. The space center is a sixteen-hundred-acre compound filled with lush grass and cream-colored buildings of different shapes and sizes. Satellite dishes bloom like flowers throughout the compound, and the only buildings open to the public are a museum, the rocket park, and mission control.... [tags: NASA Space Astronauts Essays]
1474 words (4.2 pages)
- “You’re not the one pushing them out.” “I don’t see what’s the problem.” “Go get pregnant, give birth to fifteen babies and I bet you’ll find out what the problem is real quick. Matter of fact, after you experience it, I want you to go around the world and tell all the men who want a basketball team of children they should feel ashamed of themselves for treating their wives as baby making tool.” “Ain’t that’s all you’re good for?” Twenty-five pair of feminine eyes, including my own, giving off malicious glares were presented to him and he quickly ate his own words.... [tags: 2007 singles, 2008 singles, Pop ballads]
1735 words (5 pages)
- an All American Icon, a Hero, and a Legend. How do you see Marilyn Monroe. A fake. A whore. An inspiration, or even a hero. How much do you really know about her. First lets start with some background information. Marilyn Monroe’s birth name is Norma Jean Baker, She is most known for being a major sex symbol, an actress, singer, and model. Why do I think she’s heroic. Above everything, her childhood was a nightmare, and she was still a very strong woman, but ill get to that later. Marilyn Monroe is a genuinely strong, independent, beautiful women who had to withstand more than most, and she still smiled and didn't let that affect her and she didn't let anything affect who she was.... [tags: icon, hero, legend]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- You Decide 2000 There are certain things young adults look forward to at the turning of each age. When I approached the age of sixteen, I couldn't wait to get my temporary drivers license. Then, I could take my classes to help me pass the driving test. After passing the test, I would then receive my drivers license. At the age of seventeen, I was permitted to view R rated movies without an adult. But as I approached the age of eighteen I thought, "What could I possibly get out of turning eighteen.... [tags: Papers]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Director John Hughes does it again. In Sixteen Candles, he captures the essence of high school from the views of the nerds to the jocks. Depicted in the daily lives of the main characters, he shows even back in 1984, there is a division by popularity and grade. The struggles and pressures students faced are the same as what students are faced with in today’s high schools. This movie relates to teens year after year, generation after generation. Just as the author William Zinsser states in College Pressures, “They are too young to be prisoners of their parents’ dreams and their classmates’ fears” (385).... [tags: sixteen candles, john hughes]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Wisdom of Parents in the Poem, Photograph of My Father In His Twenty-Second Year We have all grown up hearing our parent's advice "Do as I say, not as I do". When your parents give this advice you do not always listen at first, but later on in life you may catch yourself using it. I believe it is very important value, respect and listen to what your parent's say; their experience with life is their major tool in shaping their children into adults. Parents have lived life longer than their children that is a fact.... [tags: Photograph of My Father In His Twenty-Second Year]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- My Super Sweet Sixteen “But mom, this dress is only seven thousand, three hundred and fifty dollars. It’s Louis Vutton, you know that’s a great deal.” In the long run, Sophie ended up with the wallet-denting designer outfit and didn’t even have to lift a finger. Instead of purchasing the Louis Vutton gown, her family decided upon the nine thousand dollar Chanel outfit. After cussing out the body guards for letting the “social rejects” in, her celebration had merely begun. She had pulled up to the most popular night club in the city (her family managed to rent for the night) in a Cinderella carriage for an unforgettable entrance.... [tags: Sweet 16 consumption Society Essays]
419 words (1.2 pages)