Violence in a school setting is one of the most emotionally upsetting things that we are constantly faced with in today’s news media. The thought of our children getting to such a dark inner place is a terrible thing to imagine, and your heart sinks when you learn that a child has acted in such a savage way towards one their own classmates. Whether it is a childish slap to a classmate or a threat to a teacher, or even a very real incident of gun violence in school, school violence rates have dramatically increased in America, almost to the point of being called an epidemic. Things in our schools are getting out of hand. The question remains, though: is this an issue that could ever be resolved?
In recent news, there is a good chance that a story has been reported on school violence. It is alarmingly happening all over the country, in all types of schools. There have been shootings at high schools, elementary schools, colleges, prep schools, and more, as well as stabbings, physical beatings, and other horrific incidences that one would never want to happen to themselves. This rate of incidences, no matter how severe or not, seems to be much too high. Schools are hailed as being one of the safest places a person could be outside of home. With violent attacks coming into such a safe place, people have a right to be worried.
A timeline for CNN, published in 2012, chronologically listed all major reports of violence in school settings. “The first news headline of school violence dates back to 1927”, the timeline states (source: CNN.com). This incident refers to the Bath Schoolhouse bombings in which a farmer set off two explosives at the Michigan school building, where he killed 45 people, including 38 children and 6...
... middle of paper ...
...RS Abstract. National Crime Justice Reference Service, 1996. Web. 08 May 2014.
Phillips, Rick. ""The Financial Costs of Bullying, Violence, and Vandalism"" The Financial Costs of Bullying, Violence, and Vandalism. Principals.org, Apr. 2010. Web. 08 May 2014.
Stopbullying.gov. "Arizona Anti-Bullying Laws & Policies." Home. Stop Bullying, 1 Dec. 2011. Web. 08 May 2014.
Zadrozny, Brandy. "The School Shootings You Didn't Hear About - One Every Two Weeks." The Daily Beast. Newsweek/Daily Beast, 13 Dec. 2013. Web. 08 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Phillips Curve Economists agree that unemployment and inflation are two of the major macroeconomic problems of the twentieth century. If a relationship between the two existed then this would be a major break through for the macro management of the economy. Phillips' work was empirical - started with evidence and worked towards a theory. The causation for the Phillips theory was that the level of unemployment caused the rate of change in money wages to be what it was. 'What economic theory lies behind this?' As unemployment decreases the available pull of labour goes down.... [tags: Economics The Phillips Curve Economy Essays]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft It is morning on August 20, 1890 and the world of literature is about to change, though it will not understand just how much so for decades. It is on this morning that a precocious child, Howard Phillips Lovecraft, is born. Lovecraft would begin his writing career at the tender age of six with his short story “The Noble Eavesdropper”. He would grow up to be well read and well learned (he was producing scientific journals for his friends at age nine), despite never finishing high school (Joshi para 1- 4).... [tags: Howard Phillips Lovecraft Essays]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- The cost of tuition for higher education is quickly rising. Over half of college freshmen show some concern with how to pay for college. This is the highest this number has been since 1971 (Marill and O’Leary 64-66, 93). The amount of college graduate debt has been rapidly increasing also. With limited jobs available because of the high unemployment rate, college graduates find themselves staying in debt even longer. Although grants and financial aid are available to students, students still struggle to pay for their college tuition.... [tags: College Costs Are Out Of Control]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- Imagine a historian, author of an award-winning dissertation and several books. He is an experienced lecturer and respected scholar; he is at the forefront of his field. His research methodology sets the bar for other academicians. He is so highly esteemed, in fact, that an article he has prepared is to be presented to and discussed by the United States’ oldest and largest society of professional historians. These are precisely the circumstances in which Ulrich B. Phillips wrote his 1928 essay, “The Central Theme of Southern History.” In this treatise he set forth a thesis which on its face is not revolutionary: that the cause behind which the South stood unified was not slavery, as such,... [tags: Phillips vs. Wright]
1616 words (4.6 pages)
- Caryl Phillips' The Nature of Blood On its most immediate level, Caryl Phillips’ The Nature of Blood narrates several stories of the Jewish Diaspora, using the familiar Shakespearean character Othello to provide a counterpoint to the others’ experiences of displacement. The Nature of Blood thus initially seems to fit awkwardly among texts by other West Indian authors who use the Caribbean as the setting of their work or incorporate West Indian characters into their work. Through his multi-stranded narrative, however, Phillips creates a geographical setting that mirrors the multi-regional influence of the Caribbean.... [tags: Caryl Phillips Nature Blood Essays]
3218 words (9.2 pages)
- No Heroes, No Villains by by Steven J. Phillips After reading the story, I found I had mixed emotions about it. To explain, when we were getting into detail and finally finding out what really happened the day of June 28th, I found myself completely interested and glued to the book. I also enjoyed the way the incident was explained because I felt like I was there watching it all happen from the great detail. I enjoyed Phillips style of writing because through his writing, he really came off as an intelligent person who is very familiar with the legal system.... [tags: Phillips Heroes Villains Review]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- A Review of American Negro Slavery by Ulrich B. Phillips Phillips' book is an attempt to provide an overview of the practice and institutions of slavery in the Americas from its beginnings to the 19th century. Writing in 1918, Phillips hoped to provide an account of slavery based upon historical evidence and modern methods of research, rather than ideological motivations. He drew his evidence from the plantation records and letters of slave owners; contemporary travel accounts; court records and legal documents; newspaper articles; and in some instances, the recordings of slaves themselves, rather than what he viewed as more biased sources such as abolitionist writings.... [tags: Slavery Racism Phillips]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Colllege Students Struggling with Rising Costs Kristen Carlow, a 20-year-old former Northeastern University student left Boston last spring after her freshmen year, because of overwhelming tuition prices. “My parents make a decent amount of money and I’m an average white female student. I’m nothing special, where the government or Northeastern was going to give me enough money to pay for school,” Carlow said. This is the current situation that many college students face across the United States.... [tags: Finances Financial Loans Education Essays]
1831 words (5.2 pages)
- Financial Report for a School Production AIM: The aim of the financial report is to supply information on the costs and revenue of the school production to the school governors. The finance office had some data on the income and expenditure of the school production. This was used to generate an analysis of the revenue of the production for the governors meeting. REVENUE: The production took placed on three 3 evenings, the hall could seat a total of three hundred and the tickets cost: Adult tickets= £6.00 Children ticket = £2.50 ======================= OAP tickets = £3.00 =================== 1st Night Tickets Types Total tickets Total Reve... [tags: Papers]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Costs Estimation Generally Accepted Accounting Practice The main purpose of searching for a new method to estimate cost if due to the erroneous practices of accounting. There is a wide recognition of this problem but most companies still have not gone to a different approach. The GAAP principles do not provide the kind of cost detail and information focus required in today’s capital intensive, automated, and complex manufacturing and distribution. It generates an erroneous and inverse relationship between computed product cost and current production volume.... [tags: essays papers]
1217 words (3.5 pages)