The career that I am pursuing is psychology. Understanding the human mind is something I have always been interested in. Why we feel the way we do or why we react a certain way. These are things I’ve explored throughout my experiences in high school theater and creative writing, but I would like to do more than just create or portray stories with realistic characters, I also want to help people. Listening is a skill that comes naturally to me and many friends confide in me when they are going through difficult times. That is why I have decided that I want to go into psychology.
To become a clinical psychologist I must first get my Bachelor’s degree which will take around four years to complete, then my Master’s which will be another two or three years. At this point I can work in mental health care, or continue on to get my doctorate. To become accepted into a master’s program I will need to maintain my GPA and have a good GRE score. There are two doctorate degrees possible, but I will be looking to get my PsyD so that I can do clinical work. I will also need to intern for about a year and to become a licensed psychologist I have to take the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology administered by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards.
Learning how to work with patients will be a crucial part in preparing me for my career. “I did [feel prepared] because my training was adequate. Working in the environment I started out in, I was not prepared for.” (Janae Harman) Once I have completed my training I will need to look for employment, but I will have to be careful about where I look. “The place I started working didn’t have good supervision, so when I ha...
... middle of paper ...
...health facility, or begin your own private practice. However, many of the starting salaries are around the same. The three salaries I was able to find were calculated and the mean of these was forty-eight thousand five hundred and fifty-five dollars. The median was forty-eight thousand three hundred and eighty-six dollars. There was no mode and the midrange was forty-eight thousand six hundred and forty dollars. Out of these calculations I believe the mean represents the starting salary the best because out of all the measures of central tendency it is the median of those. Being a psychologist offers a lot of opportunity to move up in pay depending on experience and the quality of your work. While it is a long road to become a psychologist, I believe it’ll be worth it because it’ll provide me with financial stability and the best part is I’ll be able to help people.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sport psychology is the study of the psychological aspects of sport; they are not limited to just sports and can include any type of physical activity or exercise. Sport psychologists assist athletes or performers with their performance and life endeavors. They examine the way athletes use visualization techniques to improve performance, manage performance anxiety, and how athletes cooperate to work more effectively together as a team. Opportunities with a bachelor degree work in rewarding careers that challenge them to use their general training in psychology as well as any specialized knowledge in sports.... [tags: Psychology, Neuropsychology, Outline of psychology]
1615 words (4.6 pages)
- Introductory Psychology -- Pennebaker Test 2 Please write your name and social security number on THIS PAGE as well as on your Scantron form. Be sure and blacken in the correct dots for your SSN, name, and test form. 1. Hans and Franz are identical twins that were separated at birth. The finally meet at age 45, and find that both of them have become psychology professors. What is the most likely explanation for this similarity. a. both twins had strong psychology genes. b. both twins had strong teaching genes.... [tags: UTEXAS Texas Psychology]
2196 words (6.3 pages)
- My practicum for school psychology is at Brinckerhoff elementary school in the Wappinger’s Central School District. Brinckerhoff is one of fifteen schools within the district where students can enroll in kindergarten through sixth grade. Brinckerhoff is a large school of approximately an average of 470 students. This school has a diverse student population, yet majority of student population ethnicity identify as Caucasian and has a roughly an equal percentage of males and females that form the student body.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Leadership, Special education]
1716 words (4.9 pages)
Weapons Of Math Destruction : How Big Data Increases Inequality And Threatens Democracy By Cathy O ' Neil
- Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy by Cathy O’Neil and Mindful Tech: How To Bring Balance to Our Digital Lives by David Levy put forth respective case studies about computer algorithms and human minds. At a first glance, these models seem to act as means of linearly distilling masses of data into final actions. However, a deeper assessment reveals critical subtleties, ones that highlight the role that distributed cognition plays. Viewing the cases through this distributed lens sheds light on deep connections between actors, inputs, products of cognitive models, and feedback loops that yield later changes.... [tags: Mind, Cognition, Psychology, Emotion]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- Examining the Relationship Between Chosen College and LinkedIn Content The free arts, better known as arts and sciences goes beyond teaching how, when and where and endeavors to promote the art of thinking. Generating and processing the complexities of our world with creative approaches is the essence of arts and sciences degrees. These subject groups teach how to think instead of what to think. Business degrees, on the other hand, are viewed by students as a more practical or vocational art, teaching specific skills that prepare students for applied fields (Ewest, & Kliegl, 2012, Colby, Ehrlich, & Sullivan, 2011).... [tags: Personality psychology, Trait theory, Psychology]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- Motivation is important because it allows you to work towards and complete your goals. GPA allows you to see, on average, how well a student has performed in all classes they have taken. It is likely there is a relationship between motivation and GPA. If a student is highly motivated, will their GPA rise. Based upon previous research, it is hypothesized that students who are highly motivated will have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Seventeen university students, 9 male and 8 female participated in the survey.... [tags: Research Proposals]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- Gender and the Student/Teacher Relationship Some people say that school is an environment where you can learn not only the fundamentals of math, English, history, and science; but also the foundations needed to build lasting relationships. Throughout our twelve years of required education we make countless friends and acquaintances, and with them we create relationships that can possibly affect the rest of our lives. One such relationship, which is extremely influential but often overlooked, is the relationship between a student and their teacher.... [tags: Education Argumentative Persuasive]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Good Will Hunting is a very inspirational movie about friendship and love in a small town South Boston. It is about a Math genius,Janitor at MIT, and orphan boy named Will Hunting, his best friend Chuckie and Maguire, a psychology professor at a community college,who is Will’s therapist. Friendship according to Aristotle is a primary need in life. He believes that:” For no one would choose to live without friends even if he had all the other goods.”This movie is a great depiction of Aristotle’s three types of friendship that I will relate to, but also a challenge to Diotima’s speech in Plato’s theory of love in Symposium.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction to prepare for advanced math solutions: Mathematics is mainly considered as the main branches of science. Normally all the mathematical operations like addition, division, multiplication as well as subtraction are easy to do in case of simple problems. Prepare for advanced math problems solution is simple and easy. In this session, we will see how we have to prepare for advanced math solution. Prepare for advanced math solutions: Example problem 1- Prepare for advanced math solutions Calculate the equation of the line using the points (5, - 5) and (4, 1) that passes through the line.... [tags: Math]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- Mathematics is found everywhere in life and work and auto racing is no exception. There are many applications of math in racing. The purpose of racing is to win and in order to do that there must be a lot of math involved. If you don’t use math and use it correctly then you will not win. Mathematics is involved in racing in two ways, the car setup and scoring an measurements. The car setup involves tire pressure, down force, wedge, aerodynamic Drag, camber, track bar and valance. The scoring system also uses math.... [tags: mathematics math car racing]
1265 words (3.6 pages)