Monkey see monkey do; that is how people in a community follow their leader. They may not follow him or her action for action but in essence they do. If the leader is selfish and greedy then the people will grow selfish and greedy. If a leader is humble and has a mind and heart to serve the people instead of being served, the nature of the people will become more cordial. A leader is tasked with the governing and care of those under him/her, dictionary.com says a leader is " a guiding or directing head". A leader should lead by example; serving willingly, taking responsibility, and staying humble because the people under them will start to adopt and behave like their leader.
A good leader is humble, willing to serve; one of the people, selfless, firm, wise, on and on the list goes. There is an abundance of attributes and characteristics of a good leader but we cannot have them all. No matter how how hard we try, we cannot be a perfect leader. The only being capable of being the perfect leader is God. He fulfills all the qualifications of a leader; He is the example that we should strive to be like, especially the people who are in charge of others. One leader in particular, King Arthur, is a great example of a leader that did very well for being a man. There were times where his judgment and actions were questioned but he succeeded nonetheless. Now, success is not what defines a good or bad leader; it is merely the fruit of their labor.
In the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Arthur's decision to send Gawain (who was the "runt of the litter") to go and fulfill the challenge of the Green Knight stirred up some questions. The challenge put the reputation of Arthur and the court on the line; ...
... middle of paper ...
...mple; by their small actions towards the least of us and the big actions that influence the course of many.
"Arthurian Legend." Arthurian Legend. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 May 2014.
"Background Information." INT296b Character Analysis Joseph Demma. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 May 2014.
"History." King Arthur. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2014.
Radmacher, Earl D., Ronald Barclay. Allen, and H. Wayne. House. Nelson's NKJV Study Bible: NKJV, New King James Version. Nashville, TN: Nelson Bibles, 1997. Print.
"Story of King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake." - Sword in the Loch. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Qualities of Leaders When I think of a good leader I think Influence, confidence, fearlessness, challenges, disappointments, and responsibilities. Sometimes, being a leader comes with hard decisions, but it’s your responsibility to make those decisions hoping they are the right decisions for your company. Being one of the most powerful and influential companies today that a lot of people depend on for internet searches. Admiring the strong organizational culture that includes values of creativity, simplicity and innovation which plays a great success and gives the company an advantage over other companies.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- 1. Throughout my life I have had the chance to be in many leadership positions. I have experience democratic leadership through playing on my high-school varsity basketball team, being a youth leader in many organizations, simple group class presentations, and currently serving as a STARS peer mentor on campus at DePaul University. I played basketball at Hoffman Estates high-school, and was constantly working with my teammates to be the best we could be. I volunteered as a freshman mentor, and was a part of a program named Unity.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Positive psychology]
706 words (2 pages)
- Many times in life people say that they want elected politicians to be good leaders. But what are the real traits or characteristics of a good leader. Most people think of a great leader as being a person who is steadfast, trustworthy, and dedicated to the people they work with and serve. King Hrothgar, from Beowulf, possesses all of these traits. Hrothgar works hard to protect his people and to reward his people for small and large accomplishments. He is a visionary who builds places, like Heorot, as a place of enjoyment where he can share his gifts and treasures with the people of his land.... [tags: Beowulf, Grendel, Interpersonal relationship]
1397 words (4 pages)
- The Required Qualities for a Good Leader of Society “Leadership is influence. It is the ability to obtain followers. When the leader lacks confidence, the followers have no commitment. A leader is great not because of his power, but because of his ability to empower others” – John Maxwell. This quote summarises what a good leader of society should be. It is all well and good to have a leader who is influential, but to have a leader, who is not able to stand in front of a crowd of people and cameras during a press conference, is pointless.... [tags: Papers]
1502 words (4.3 pages)
- Assessing positive leadership traits is very essential to acknowledging a good leader. The following positive leadership traits are, “Task competence, interpersonal competence, intuition, traits of character, biophysical traits, and personal traits” (Kreitner & Kinicki, 2013, p. 469). From examining the facts within the case study, I believe that Lynn Tilton displayed many if not all of the positive leadership traits. Furthermore, she was highly intelligent and knowledgeable and therefore displayed task competence.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Trait, Case study]
706 words (2 pages)
- Introduction The meaning of being a leader does not entail having a title of as the chairman, captain, or president; it means being dedicated in serving the people. Although the definition of leaders is very broad and there is not generally accepted definition of the term, it is imperative that the leader must possess some unique skills that must propel a team to achieve some preset goals. Although titles are important, their value is derived from the qualities of the individual, that means leadership is not a basic formal position.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Management, Positive psychology]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- There are many qualities and characteristics a leader must have to be able to succeed in the long run. A leader has an impact on all of their followers. They need to make others feel inspired and make their followers want to lead a group of people someday. Leaders must be determined to achieve their goals every step of the way, and they always need to be strong minded. To be a quality leader one must have many qualities; such as being inspirational, committed to followers in what they are leading, and leading people in the right direction.... [tags: Qualities, Charactersitics, Success, Leadership]
1383 words (4 pages)
- Leaders have a responsibility to ensure that the organization is running effectively. In addition, the decisions that are made should be in the best interest of the organization, therefore, the leader should ensure that the decisions are moving the organization closer to its vision. According to Manning and Curtis (2015), there are 10 qualities that influence the leadership process: Vision, Ability, Enthusiasm, Stability, Concern for others, Self-confidence, Persistence, Vitality, Charisma, and Integrity.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Decision making, Leader]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- ... A manager who persistently wants to grow and learn will be capable of inspiring his employees to the same behavior. Strong communication skills are the next important key qualities for a successful international manager. A leader with good communication skills is capable of listening in the same way he is capable of instructing. A good leader should be able to understand, interpret, and communicate the organization's idea back to his employees to preserve efficiency and productivity. However, communication skills include not only good verbal skills, but also good body language skills.... [tags: management, communication, networking]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- According to the Organizational Behavior textbook, “leadership is the use of non-coercive influence to direct and coordinate the activities of group members to meet a goal” (Griffin, Phillips, and Gully, 2016, p.406). While Jack Welch had some problems as a leader for General Electric, some of his leadership qualities were beneficial to the company and the people. Welch maybe was missing a few aspects of being a great leader, he did have some that made him a good leader. For instance, Welch demonstrated the leader qualities of job-centered behavior, achievement oriented behavior, and transformational leadership.... [tags: Leadership, Management]
901 words (2.6 pages)