Depending on the situation, prototypes can be used as an advantage or disadvantage. The advantage of prototype would be to quickly categorizing items into its beat fit; disadvantage would be using it to discriminate certain racial groups or the inability to match a concept to a certain prototype; for instance, when penguins don’t resemble our bird prototype. Prototype is a mental image or best example of a category (Myers, 2011). For example, In the movie “The Help” ((Columbus, Barnathan, Green, & Taylor, 2011) ), the southern white society have a prototype of a black servant. The society’s concept of a servant (someone who does all the dirty work) fits perfectly with their prototype of a black woman. In the movie, the black maid is in...
... middle of paper ...
...ategorize items. For instance, when you have symptoms and your symptoms does not match a disease prototype then it’s slower to detect illness (Myers, 2011). On the other hand, Confirmation bias allows you to search for answers that support your belief. Such as, when a student writes a paper then he/she searches for answer that confirms their belief. And belief perseverance makes a person unwilling to admit that their initial premise may not be true. This information is important because now you know that having arguments is useless because both sides are never wrong and they both reject each other’s beliefs.
Myers, D. (2011) Psychology. (10th edition). New York, NY: Worth publishers.
Columbus, C., Barnathan, M., Green, B. (Producer), & Taylor, T. (Director). (2011). The Help [Motion picture]. United States: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. INTRODUCTION: 1,200,000,000.00 people worldwide (approximately twenty percent of the population) have no access to electricity. In South Africa alone, twenty five percent of householders live in non-electrified areas and rely on candles or kerosene lamps for basic lighting(reference). With the increasing demand for electricity and depletion of fossil fuels currently being used to generate electricity, these people face the prospect of going without a connection for years to come. In an attempt to address this problem, “GREEN LANTERNS CO.” was approached and commissioned to construct and test a solar lantern (prototype) that would suit the southern African context and would be capable of s... [tags: energy, lighting device]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Sources of Competitive Advantage/ Disadvantage Focus Features and Focus Features World Wide, which for the purposes of this analysis will be lumped together remains one of the few art house/independent movie studios that is owned by one of the major six studios. This distinction, being owned by NBC Universal, lends Focus Features a distinct advantage. Typically the independent film industry requires a studio to distribute/produce a certain number of projects in order to fund initial overhead or licensing costs.... [tags: focus features, business analysis]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- ... This means that the more people we want to have interpersonal relationships with, the more time and efforts we need to devote to the relationships. Considering that we have only limited time (only 24 hours a day) and we usually intend to use most of this time for achieving our personal goals, then it becomes practically impossible to forge friendships or relationships with as many people as we want. Therefore, it is not surprising at all if we can only name a handful of people as our best friend, lover, etc.... [tags: ongoing development, ]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- GMO’s: Advantage or Disadvantage. While shopping in a grocery store most shoppers are unaware that almost 70% of the produce is genetically modified (Smith). When people are told this their minds immediately make genetically modified foods seem like a bad thing. Some will argue that genetically modified foods are bad for a person’s health. Actually, genetically modified foods are almost identical to the original version and can be extremely beneficial to both the environment and the economy. Recently, the idea of genetically modified salmon has been brought up.... [tags: health, farmers, economical]
668 words (1.9 pages)
- This prototype database was designed to meet the general needs of users from a range of different backgrounds in relation to cemeteries and graveyards. The scenario is described as follows: A consortium of international archaeological and historical societies has collaborated in funding a multidisciplinary database of international historical graveyards whose history goes back at least 100 years. As the database will be used for research as well as town-planning by a wide variety of people, including historians, local councils, genealogists, sociologists and epidemiologists, it is anticipated that it will include not only information about the graveyards themselves, but also the buildin... [tags: Database]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Depression is the most common mental disorder worldwide and one of the top ten causes of morbidities and mortalities (Berton and Nestler, 2006; Nestler et al., 2002). 20% of world populations are affected by depression at anytime of their lives whereas 4% of men and 8% of women are affected by clinically significant depressive disorder. However depressive symptoms in general are much more common (Lehtinen, V and Joukamaa ,M 1994). While depression came the second on the list of the most disabling disorder when it is measured by years lived in disability, WHO predicted that it would be the 1st leading health problem within the next 20 years.... [tags: Mental Health ]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- ... Women and foreigners were excluded from this lottery, as citizenship in Athens was determined by bloodline, not land ownership. Under this new reform of laws, slavery for agricultural debts was terminated, as was the incurring debt of farmers. During this assembly, current laws were constantly under review and revision, and new laws were voted on and passed by popular vote. City officials were also elected and dismissed, court trials, and appeals were also conducted by citizen vote. The assembly was held monthly, with citizens rotating in and out with each new lottery.... [tags: center of Greek culture]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- When we talk about the methodology, it's always been involved in every single project. This is because, a project without schedule and strategy will probably lost direction and lack of analysis. Methodology, exactly solve the problems stated above. Since it's provides a clear schedule and every step that involves in a project. Comes to the Lotuskrish, we will compare a few methodologies and discuss to come out with a most suitable methodology to be used in this project. Therefore, the comparison and advantages will be clearly express at below and I am taking SPIRAL, PROTOTYPE and SSADM as my suggestion.... [tags: SPIRAL, PROTOTYPE, SSADM]
547 words (1.6 pages)
- Prototype Theory: an evaluation 1. Preliminaries This paper discusses prototype theory and aims to evaluate the proposal that prototype structures can serve as word meanings. It has been proposed that prototype structures have cognitive representations that could serve as representations of real world categories. This issue is discussed on the basis of a mainly theoretical approach, while particular issues are more extensively exemplified. A central conclusion is that prototype structures can be considered as having a supplementary role to word meanings, yet do not form an adequate or non-problematic basis overall.... [tags: essays papers]
3081 words (8.8 pages)
- Disadvantage of Germans in World War II World War II was a worldwide military conflict which lasted from the late 1930s to 1945. World War II was the amalgamation of two conflicts, one starting in Asia, 1937, as the Second Sino-Japanese War and the other beginning in Europe, 1939, with the invasion of Poland. At the beginning of the war, German got a big advantage in military affairs. They occupied France, Belgium, Austria and other eastern European countries.... [tags: World War II History]
1404 words (4 pages)