Polygamy is a known religion / marriage that is most commonly associated with mormons, but polygamy shows up with muslims too. Polygamy is written about in the Quran, and there is a debate about whether it was prohibited or not. Some will say that by interpretations it is not prohibited and others say that it states that it is prohibited (Abdelkader). Some Islamic scholars say that the Quran doesn 't allow polygamy. They say that God says it is very difficult to treat all the wives equally. Also, liberal interpretations say that polygamy is a pre-Islamic practice. Even the Islamic law even tried to limit the amount of wives that a man could have (Abdelkader). While Islamic laws tried to limit the amount of wives Sharia law is also a big factor with the polygamous Muslims. Sharia law is a bunch of very strict laws that involve aspects of cheating and lying. Sharia law will not allow polygamy with the very strict laws that they have. Some things that happe...
... middle of paper ...
...my is not as innocent as it seems. The media only shows the good parts to it rather than the bad so that it becomes legal like same-sex marriage.
As time goes on polygamy will want its time in the lime-light to show all the good qualities to be legal. The tv shows that are about polygamy show all the good qualities but not the bad. Women have it hard in this cult with not being accepted as an equal. They are drugged, brainwashed, and impregnated until physical exhaustion. Younger boys do not get it so easy either. They are tossed aside if they are not the alpha male type and they have no real education when thrown out. It isn 't the easiest for either female and some males in this religious cult (Mazur). Nothing in this religious cult shows that it is okay to be legal. It should be more like to get this so it can’t become legal and save other involved with this cult.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Polygamy is becoming apart of the question, Is this is an alternative lifestyle that should be allowed. There are television shows and criminal cases about polygamy ( Kiesbye). Some common tv shows about polygamy are Sister Wives and Big Love. Since this is a new upcoming type of marriage the tv shows are showing all the good parts about polygamy ,or “fluffing” it up, rather than show any negatives aspects about it. There are multiple things associated with polygamy not just the side where all the family members are happy.... [tags: Marriage, Polygamy, Sharia, Islam]
1958 words (5.6 pages)
- Polygamy is defined as “a marriage that includes more than two partners.” There are different types of polygamy, these include: polygyny, where a man has multiple wives, polyandry, in which a woman has multiple husbands, and group marriage, where a family consists of multiple husbands and wives. Of these different types of polygamy, polygyny is definitely the most popular of the three. In America, the practice of any form of polygamy is illegal and due to this law, many adherents of the lifestyle stay hidden ("What is Polygamy?").... [tags: Marital Issues]
1486 words (4.2 pages)
- Many people would happily accept an opportunity to have their daily stress reduced by employing help with not only their children but also with daily household responsibilities of cooking and cleaning. Especially in this fragile economic state the average family living in America cannot afford the luxury of hiring a house cleaner, cook or nanny. However, there are polygamists families in America have the abilities of multiple adults contributing to the same household because of the lifestyle choice of having multiple spouses.... [tags: plural marriage, domestic violence]
1413 words (4 pages)
- As an infamous religious leader, Warren Jeffs had the ability to gain people’s trust and loyalty. He influenced many by exerting his power and authority in brainwashing individuals with religion. His home base is located in the Utah–Arizona area, where he is known to have about 40 wives and 56 children in his compound. Jeffs goes beyond what any human being has by taking advantage of religion to obtain supporters through his ideals and practices of Mormonism into the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) where he considers himself a prophet.... [tags: religion, brainwashing, polygamy]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- "I never wanted to just be married to a man," "I always wanted sister wives," says Christine, star in the hit television show “Sister Wives” who is pregnant with Kody's-her polygamous husband- 13th child (Hall, 2010). She's glad to be his third wife because she never wanted to be alone with a husband and the third wife balances out the tension between the first two. she says.The first sighting of Polygamy began during the biblical era where Lamech cleaved to two wives, Adah and Zillah. Today, Polygamy is considered a poor representation of Christianity as the lord said “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Sparking the argument that the lord a... [tags: christianity, bible, polygamy, morality]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- In today’s society the assumption asserts that there must be only two adults integrated in a relationship, however in polygamous environments, having more than one spouse is traditional. Some may argue that Polygamy is simply just an alternate lifestyle. This, however, ceases to be true. Young girls are being forced to marry older men and sometimes relatives. Little boys are often abandoned because it appears to be competition for older men. Children are victims of sexual and physical abuse. Whereas, for women, they generally become stripped of their money and experience competition against the multiple wives a husband.... [tags: Marriage, Polygamy, Sexual intercourse, Husband]
1581 words (4.5 pages)
- The Rights of Those Who Practice Polygamy I. INTRODUCTION The unblemished notion of what the American family should be has been deeply rooted in our culture and it was not until recently that those views have been challenged. Same-Sex marriage is a topic of interest and has been one for the past several years. With many victories under the proponent’s belt it seems that the United Sates is heading toward national recognition. Same-Sex marriage is paving the way for other non-traditional families to gain footing and rights in the American legal system.... [tags: Marriage, Polygamy]
799 words (2.3 pages)
- Kelly Swanson Topic: Polygamy Organization: Cause/Effect/Solution Specific Purpose: To influence my audience to believe that polygamy is unhealthy I. INTRODUCTION A. Attention getter: In April 2008, 416 children from San Angelo, Texas were taken from their home and were led into a world that they were constantly taught to fear. These children grew up in a polygamist community consisting of 139 women and one man. (Hilton/Austin, 2008). B. Relevance: For those of you who don’t know, polygamy is the practice of having more than one wife or husband at a time.... [tags: Polygamy, Marriage, Monogamy]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- Witte writes that the common law has always defined marriage between a man and a woman, and that religious freedom should not allow anyone to break laws. He states “monogamous marriage ‘is the cornerstone of civilization’, and it cannot be moved without upending our whole culture” (73). He believes that allowing plural marriage would cause a lot of chaos and completely destroy our nation’s current culture. Witte discusses a Fundamental Latter Day Saint group in Texas that was raided. Underage and coerced marriages, statutory rape and child abuse were all found within the group.... [tags: Polygamy Essays]
2160 words (6.2 pages)
- When someone “pops the question”, he is normally knelt on one knee, the paradigm of a prince charming. The illusion is shattered when the proposal is not solely performed to one woman, but many. Then, it is not just one bride. It is one of an array of brides. Polygamy, obviously, still exists today. Though no religion mandates it, and it is, in fact, illegal in the United States, it is still a realized phenomenon. Popular occidental culture has veered away from this marriage style. Now a day, a typical westerner prefers monogamy.... [tags: Plural Marriage]
1217 words (3.5 pages)