The movie No One Knows about Persian Cat’s centers around two musicians recently released from prison for performing music without permission. Negar and Ashkan are two musicians along with their promoter Nader trying to get a band together to go play music in Europe since they are not able to play in Iran. The movie has all the synergy of a Cold War spy novel with our protagonist stealthily walking into basements and padded rooms all over Tehran. Interspersed they meet a wide and varied group of people amazingly most of these people aren't singing songs about raging against the West. They are very much as American independent bands directing their music towards issues in their own life. I believe one part of the movie tends to dispel the notion that all people from the Middle East and Western Asia are hell-bent on destroying Western civilization. In Samu...
... middle of paper ...
...s as well as in many others (December, 2007). Instead of always confronting strife and war I believe the United States would do better to support various independent groups such as musicians, artists and scholars. This I believe in the long run would lead to a better world for those living in Iran today as well as for relations between the two countries and those of the Middle East.
Bahman Ghobadi , (2009). No One Knows About Persian Cats [DVD]
Bahman Ghobadi, (2004). Turtles Can Fly [DVD]
Green December, L. L. (2007). Comparative Politics of the Third World. Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers Inc.
Khalidi, R. (2009). Sowing Crisis. Boston: Beacon Press.
The globalization Reader Frank J. Lechner John Boli , Blackwell Publishing
Samuel P. Hunington “The Clash of Civilizations” Foreighn Affairs 72.3 Summer 1993 Council on foreign Relations , Inc
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The title of this section in my Bible is “No One Knows That Day and Hour”. This perfectly summarizes the portion of scripture that we are looking at. To reiterate, this episode is saying point blank that no one, not even Jesus or the Holy Spirit know the day that Jesus is coming back. Only God the Father knows the time of Jesus’ return. At the end of this section we are reminded to always be ready for Christ’s return (Green, 2001). These verses put emphasis on how we as Christians are to live while we wait for Jesus’ return.... [tags: Jesus, Gospel, Christianity, New Testament]
712 words (2 pages)
- If ending world hunger is possible, why hasn’t it been done. The answer to this question has been attempted for decades. Yet, no one truly knows the solution. Scott Kilman, Roger Thurow and Paul Turner decided to search for the answer and teach the world their findings. Roger Thurow was a reporter at The Wall Street Journal for 30 years, 20 of them as a foreign correspondent. For the 2 decades that he was based in Africa and Europe, he covered stories about the Cold War, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the release of Nelson Mandela, the Olympic games, and numerous other important events.... [tags: Famine, Malnutrition, Africa, Poverty]
2419 words (6.9 pages)
- For eighteen years, I have always lived in a house with two dogs and two cats. Within those eighteen years, I have been through three dogs, but always had two around the house. In those eighteen years, the two cats have always been the same, until one had an unexpected decline in his health. Chester, the mouthy Russian blue feline, had become sick and was no longer acting normal. Unfortunately, as a family of four, we decided to euthanize him. We did it out of mercy. We also euthanized our second cat, Sammy, out of the mercy of him becoming a lost soul in the house, always trying to find Chester.... [tags: Cat, Cats, Cat communication, Cat coat genetics]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Feral Cats in San Francisco Bay There was an unforgettable experience with a cat on the stress. After I got off the bus and toward my aunt’s house, a cat came up to me. It was the first time happen to me that a cat was very affectionate to me. And it persistently rubbed against my legs. I was a little scared, and I did not know what to do because it looked different from the common cats that I saw. I stood a while and looked at the cat. A few minutes later, I continued walked toward my aunt’s house, and I saw the cat followed me for a block.... [tags: Cat, Cats, Invasive animal species, Predation]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Flea Control for Dogs and Cats Many Americans have a four-legged member of their family in their home. Most people deal with housebreaking problems, pet hair on furniture, and an occasional broken lamp because all the friendly welcomes home outweigh these minor problems. When the weather begins to get warmer, these pet owners begin to cringe with the thought of spring. It can only mean one thing; flea season and the circus of giving flea baths and dips is about to start. But in the past few years, there has been a break through in scientific technology allowing both owners and pets to rest easier.... [tags: Pets Dogs Cats Essays]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- The book The Persian Letters by Montesquieu is a fictional novel that was written by the author so he could comment on the society in which he was living. This novel has served as a good example of the ideas that were present during the early Enlightenment. There are many ideas and themes that Montesquieu discusses by using the point of view of two Persian travelers in Europe that correspond with letters to each other and others back in Persia. By using a foreigner's perspective, Montesquieu was able to present things in a way that gave a much more lasting effect then if he had used two Frenchman commenting on their own country.... [tags: Persian Letters Montesquieu]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Your chance of surviving a fall of 50 feet (approximately 4 stories) is about 50%, while almost no one who falls 6 stories will be around to tell their tale. However, in a study conducted by Manhattan veterinarians, Drs. Wayne Whitney and Cheryl Mehlhaff, it was discovered that out of 115 cases of cats falling (accidentally) from multi-story heights, 90% of them survived. An even more surprising result is that if a cat falls from more than 7 stories its chance of survival doubles, compared to a cat having fallen from 2 to 7 stories (a story averages about 12 feet).... [tags: physics cat cats fall land feet]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- Characteristics of Magical Realism in If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs "If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs" is a short story written by Colin McNaughton. "If Dinosaurs were Cats And Dogs" was published in 1981. It is classified under the fantastic sublime. However, based on the analysis of "If Dinosaurs were Cats And Dogs" one would believe that magical realism is a genre of the sublime. While reading "If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs", one comes upon the illustrations in the book. Through out all of the illustrations, the people are on a smaller scale then the animals.... [tags: Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs Essays]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- The musical “Cats” is an outstanding show that captivates audiences of all ages. It is based on a book of poems called, “Old Possum’s Book Of Practical Cats”, written by T.S. Eliot. “Cats” tells a nonsense story of different cats. The amazing music, unique costumes, and intricate dance choreography bring a breath-taking story to life that a leaves a lasting impression on the viewer. T.S. Eliot’s poems from his “Old Possum’s Book Of Practical Cats”, not only inspired the play “Cats”, but are also used as the lyrics for all of the songs in the play.... [tags: essays research papers]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- Cats All cats, from jungle cats to house cats, belong to the cat family, Felidae, order Carnivora. The cat family, Felidae, order Carnivora, contains about 36 species that are usually grouped into two to four genera, depending on the classification system used. According to one common system, four genera exist: Panthera (jaguar, leopard , lion, tiger), Neofelis (clouded leopard), Acinomyx (cheetah), and Felis (puma, lynx, and smaller cats such as the domestic cat, Pallas's cat, and the wildcat).... [tags: Papers]
407 words (1.2 pages)