Grand Theft Auto are video game series that are popular among teenager, this let many people wonder: ‘Is it bad for kid to play violent video games like Grand Theft Auto?’. In the early modern day of 2008, 97% of teenagers played video game (ProCon.org). This earns $11.7 billion for video game industry. 10 out of 20 top best selling video game contain violence (ProCon.org).Thus it is common that violent video game have been blamed toward school shooting and bullying. However, majority of research on video game contribution to violence is deeply flawed and has no proof. Therefore, it is safe for kids to enjoy games such as Grand Theft Auto and other violence video games. As a result it is safe to approve violence video games for kids.
In the present days, many young people seek out violence video games for entertainment. According to an article by an experimental psychologist, Pinker conclude that “exposure to video game has not been shown to be predictive violent behavior” (“Pinker”) . In the other word, video is not the cause to violent. There are many others causes that led to children aggressive behavior such as family violence, bullying or any abusive experience. Assistant professor, Malliet supported that “teens have ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality prevent them from emulating video game violence in real life” (“Malliet”). Kids these days are growing up faster therefore they know the differences between reality and fantasy. They know the consequence for committing a crime and they are that dumb to carry out a violent act. Base on these facts, it is safe for kids to play video game.
Though it is common for video game to distract kids from their works, there is also...
... middle of paper ...
... Violence: A Test of Aggression in an Online
Game," Communication Monographs, June 2005
Essential Facts about the Computer and Video Game Industry," Entertainment Software
Association website, May 2009
Goldstein ,Jeffrey, "Immortal Kombat: War Toys and Violent Video Games," Why We Watch,
Pinker, Steven The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature, 2002
Malliet, Steven "An Exploration of Adolescents' Perceptions of Videogame Realism," Learning
Media and Technology, 2006
"The Final Report and Findings of the Safe School Initiative: Implications for the Prevention of
School Attacks in the United States" (1.6 MB), United States Secret Service website,
ProCon.org. “Do Violent Video Game Contribute to Youth Violence?” ProCon.org. 17 Dec.2013.
Web. 17 Dec.2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The Columbine shooters played violent video games; that has to be a factor in their decision to brutally murder their classmates!” Society is quick to point fingers and approach unknown situations with a causal mentality that often results in a false accusation of an innocent bystander. With the advent of the video game era, psychologists have debated their effect on the minds of their youthful audience. Throughout the multitude of studies and the perpetual debate, society still lacks an absolute answer.... [tags: Cause and Effect, Argument]
1970 words (5.6 pages)
- People have always been looking for a reason why horrible things happen. The media is quick to blame video games as the target and cause of many shootings that have occurred, ever since Columbine and Quake. People have been blaming video games for violence for years now, ever since violent video games have been made. News reports blame video games more and more for each shooting, telling the public how this person played video games for x amount of hours a day, and that video games caused him or her to shoot people, and how video games encourage and reward violence.... [tags: video games, violence]
1839 words (5.3 pages)
- Since the creation of video games blame has befallen them for violence. Some video games portray extreme violence, but video games come in a wide variety of genres. Genres of video games can range from innocent children games to violent adults only games. One of the most popular genre ,violent action games, allows people to do things that they can not in society. The playing of violent video games often represents a factor in motivating shockingly violent youth crimes such as high school shootings in the US.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- The Violence of Video Games and the Effect It Have On Society In today world video games have come along way since the birth of game consoles, with such games as Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Frogger. Not only have the graphics done a complete three hundred and sixty degrees turn but the violence has also on video games. There have been many people discussing on the topic of video games that have violence and the effect it has on kids. It brings out more aggression on kids that play those types of games than those who does not.... [tags: Video Games]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- After the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting which ended the lives of twenty students and six teachers, reporter and media were quick to jump on the alleged rumor that the shooter played violent video games. A Nearby town even rallied violent media such as CDs DVDs and video games and had them burned. Even after the rumor was proven false, people still fear what violence and video games will cause in people. Even though many psychologists are positive there is a link, video games do not cause violence because crime rates have dropped during violent video game releases and factors that have been unaccounted for in people 's personalities have made previous data inconclusive.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Video game]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- During these past few decades, technology has advanced drastically, especially in the aspects of gaming. At one point in history video games could only be playable at home, but now with all these improvements in technology, games can be easily played on our mobile devices. Likewise, these advancements in gaming have created endless possibilities for people of all ages to participate in this activity. Consequently, video games have influenced society and have impacted us in various ways. Though many people have come to believe that there is a link between video games and violence in the real world, this has yet to be proven.... [tags: Video game, Video game genres, Violence]
1453 words (4.2 pages)
- Imagine a group of teens going downstairs to go play the new Super Smash Bros., a game in which you pick your favorite Nintendo character from over the years, and battle your friends on a island in the ocean, or outside of a majestic palace in the clouds with power-ups. This may seem like just any other common scene, but inside this activity a whole new mindset is arising on the surface that can change the current belief that video games are a waste of time, it doesn’t help you learn, and that it leads to aggression and violence that can jeopardize our society in the future.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy, Game]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- Over 155 Million Americans play video games. That is an average of two gamers in each game-playing U.S. household. And 4 out of 5 U.S. households own a device used to play video games. The total consumers spent on video games in 2014 was $22.41 Billion. 14 of the top 20 sold video games in 2014 contain some form of violence ("ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf."). Blood and gore. Intense violence. Strong sexual content. Use of drugs. These are just a few of the phrases that the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) uses to describe the content of several video games.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Video game]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Over the past years, video games have been a way to escape reality for some people. Video games vary from fantasy, romance, and role playing games to violent games. However, vicious video games have been blamed for school shootings, growths in bullying, and violence concerning women. Various people argue that these games numb players to violence, recompense players for imitating violence, and educate children that violence is a suitable way to resolve conflicts. Several studies display that video games with violent content are related to more hostile behavior in teens.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy, Violence]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)