I’ve learned a lot of things throughout these past weeks about my self and my mentee. I had an amazing time being part of UCAN again this year. Although there were some changes in my experience, I still enjoyed everything and was able to learn new things from UCAN. This year my experience was different than last year because I was at a different high school and the mentee that I got partnered up with last year wasn’t as shy mine this year. She also was more prepared than my mentee this year and that right away made an impact on how the rest of the meets were going to go.
My biggest challenge I faced this year was understanding what kind of career my mentee wanted. Even though he had no idea what he wanted to be or what he was interested in, it was up to me to look for something that matched what he enjoyed doing. This was a big challenge because last year my mentee was very well prepared in what she wanted to study and what she later wanted to do as career. Therefore she made my job extremely easy because we now just had to look for schools and their requirements. We had to look if she wanted to stay near home or go far away and we had to make sure that the schools of her choice had the major that she wanted. That was our only problem because the schools that she wanted didn’t have the major that she wanted. However, my situation with my mentee from this quarter was completely different because with him we had to start from scratch and that was okay. The only thing that made it difficult for me was that he wasn’t convinced in what he was interested in.
My mentee this quarter wasn’t part of any clubs and he didn’t have a job so that made it hard for us to construct a brag sheet so that he could start writing a draft for his per...
... middle of paper ...
...icult for me to write my personal statement. I didn’t have any guidance from anyone and that’s where I saw that he was able to relate to me. My mentees parents didn’t go to college and he had no brothers or sisters to guide him and that was my problem too. Since I didn’t have anyone to help me I waited till the last min and luckily I had a teacher to help me correct it. So Jasmine, another mentor and I helped him breakdown his personal statement and wrote down what are some of the possible things that he could write.
Overall my experience was great this year, I was able to help my mentee with a lot of stuff that he didn’t know about. I was able to calm his worries and concerns that were mainly about the personal statement, FAFSA, and being lonely in college. Although FAFSA was hard to explain, I feel like he understood how it works and will be less worried for now.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- New experience come to our life, if we appreciate the effort from our professors. This semester I learn about being more organize, be more clear and specific, also to be more aware about the beautiful details of ideas that can just pop into our mind. English class had many lessons to teach, but I gather some of them to talk about. Which are, being more organized, be clear and the power of risk. That means that sometimes those ideas should be included in our work to be more creative. People these days just think about time wasting, playing video games and social comparison to society’s negative side.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Meaning of life, We Are the World]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Living life to the fullest and achieving my dreams has always been the number one goal in my life, but one day I thought that my whole life was going to come to an end. I never knew that people could be so cruel. Who would want to bring fear to anyone. Considering where I live, one would have thought that this would not have been a shock. I guess I was too young to realize the harsh realities of the outside world. I heard a scream, so I quickly ran to the front, and came to an abrupt halt before I could be seen by the masked man.... [tags: Personal Experience]
458 words (1.3 pages)
- To begin with, nobody can live without education due to the fact that through the very education a person learns how to live in the world. From the first moment of the person’s life, a life-long process of education begins which is also called a socialisation. In other words, by its means, a person learns how to live in a particular society. For this purpose, one should learn a sufficient amount of information about this society and operations in it as well as its rules and regulation. However, without the one thing, all these knowledge are worthless.... [tags: Learning, Education, Meaning of life]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Hidden in the Parentheses It has been 1.42 seconds since I last told a lie (or, more like, omitted the truth). Someone asked me to tell them all about my wonderful summer (again), and I replied with,”It was amazing… a truly life changing experience (but I would appreciate it if you would stop asking me about it because the ever-present lump in my throat starts to hurt every time I talk through unshed tears of nostalgia).” The truth is that I have not gone one day without crying since I left Stanford (the place of my dreams).... [tags: Friendship, Love, 2007 singles, Pop ballads]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- I had no intentions getting onto an 8 hour flight across the Atlantic. I can imagine myself right now screaming brutally inside my mind but so calm on the outside for my mom. I was forced on a summer trip to Europe to see my grandparents and family which I have not seen since 5th grade. I was expecting the worst time but in the end I learned something. I never realized how much does family mean to one another also the experiences and memories that will last a lifetime. I was so fortune to take this trip and learn that valuable lesson about family.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, English-language films]
701 words (2 pages)
- It was new years day, and the sun had just arisen when I felt this feeling inside me saying, what am I doing here, but even more importantly, how would I get out. The realization was scary, but I know that without it, my life would not have been at where it is now. I feel that with this experience, my mentality grew and now I see the world in a different way. It all started in high school, where I felt that all the attention I got during that time was for the façade that was reverted to the people, and not the real me because no one knew the real me.... [tags: High school, Academic term, 1987 albums]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Army life can be very challenging and a life changing experience. It was very challenging and life changing for me. I was raised by my Grandparents they did everything for me so this was a wakeup call for me on life. An independent person was not I, so I had problems with the changes about to come. Army life is constantly demanding and constantly changing without notice. Although the travel was exciting, army life for me was very challenging because I had to learn to adapt to a new system, to share my life with other soldiers, and to give up many of the comforts of home.... [tags: military life, traveling around the world]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Cancer is a disease that affects all of us indirectly or directly. It is responsible for the deaths of many people in the world. It has hindered many and is a very terrible disease. The causes of this disease can be narrowed down to poor diet choices, tobacco, sun and UV exposure, radiation exposure, and other carcinogens. All these issues can effect the human life and how people live and experience life. The symptoms of cancer vary as it can target many areas of the body. A common symptom is weight loss and fatigue.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Metastasis, Tobacco smoking]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- I have chosen to analyze my life. I am an eighteen-year-old female. I lived in Omaha, Nebraska for my entire life until coming to Lincoln for college. My household consists of my mother, my father, and my younger brother. Growing up we had the opportunity to have family gatherings about once a month with my extended family on my mom’s side. Thus, family and friend’s are very important to me. In addition, I am quite motivated in my schoolwork and I have had many unique experiences throughout the years in my education.... [tags: Sociology, Gender, Family, School types]
1785 words (5.1 pages)
- Influential Experience in Life- Personal Narrative I’m sitting here on a cold Wednesday morning on a cold Wednesday morning bored out of my mind having just been given my SATs result (a five I think that’s rubbish). All I can hear is the names of people in my class and a number it sort of reminds me of bingo that I used to go to with my nana since, well, forever. As I’m telling you this I feel as though I should tell you about the amazingly boring things that have happened to me between my first breath and now fifteen years later.... [tags: Papers]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Does The Natural Light During Winters Really Create Depression Within A Person?
- Religious Beliefs And Spirituality Throughout The Lives Of Many Young Australians
- The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Mental Health And Health Care Act
- A Summary On A True Womanhood
- Parental Forces : The Older Generation