For instance, Microsoft had no interest in supplying the market with web-based versions of its office software until Google had tremendous success with Google Docs. Microsoft, until then content with sales of the traditional installed versions of its office suite, was forced to counter Google Docs and create a Software as a Service (SaaS) compliment to its current offering. To differentiate itself from Google, Microsoft seems to have spent more time on formatting, and syncing with the desktop version, while Google has concentrated on ease of use and promoting collaboration.
Similarly, Microsoft has lost its edge with both search results and web-based e-mail to Google search and Gmail. Again, Microsoft was too slow to respond, and while Live Mail and Bing are now respectable products, upgrades were so long in coming that Microsoft will have to heavily invest both time and money to win back a skeptical audience. In fact, Microsoft has recently started a points program that rewards users with points redeemable for prizes if they use Bing search with an installed toolbar.
Finally, Microsoft waited too long to update its web browser to be competitive with Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Once again, while the final product is very well do...
... middle of paper ...
...t a Tablet Yet,” Businessinsider.com, 3/3/11, http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-heres-how-huge-the-tablet-market-could-get-2011-3
Melanson, Donald, “IDC: 18 Million Tablets, 12 Million e-readers Shipped in 2010,” Engadget.com, 3/10/11, http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/idc-18-million-tablets-12-million-e-readers-shipped-in-2010/
Microsoft, “Microsoft Investor Relations News Release,” 1/27/11
Microsoft, “Annual Report,” 2010
Slivka, Eric, “Apple Announces April 3rd Launch Date for Wi-Fi iPad in the US,” Macrumors.com, 3/5/10, http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/05/apple-announces-april-3rd-launch-date-for-wi-fi-ipad-in-the-u-s/
Ziegler, Chris, “Visualized: US smartphone market share, by manufacturer and platform, made pretty,” Engadget, March 3rd, 2011, http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/visualized-us-smartphone-market-share-by-manufacturer-and-plat/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- State of the Company The retail book industry continues to be increasingly competitive with the collapse of several competitors and others closing in on market share. Fiscal 2014 was expected to be a challenging year for Barnes & Noble due to mediocre sales expectations predicted by our critics. The digital reader market continues to climb in popularity, allowing for entrants into the electronic book market share. Next day and even same day delivery of books are having a huge negative impact on the traditional bookstore model.... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Retailing]
2214 words (6.3 pages)
- Strategic Management and Strategic Competition Introduction The Microsoft Corporation is a publicly traded company. It was founded in 1975 and prides itself as a leader in software and product solutions for individuals and businesses. Their mission and vision is to be a go-to source for everyone globally, and to be able to consistently produce platforms and products superior to the competition. Their comprehensive line-up makes them a very competitive business in the market, and one that can partner with a multitude of sources.... [tags: Strategic management, Strategic planning]
706 words (2 pages)
- It has become evident in the modern society that most of the successful companies put a generous amount of effort into developing their strategies. Strategic management helps an entity to clearly identify its goals and objectives and achieve them quickly and efficiently. However, it is still argued that the strategy is not an essential component of organizational management, and it is not necessary to invest in strategic development. This essay critically analyses the question of whether it is essential to have strategy as a management component, gives the definition of a strategy in a managerial context and briefly outlines possible problems of modern strategic development.... [tags: Organization, Strategic management, Strategy]
2176 words (6.2 pages)
- Strategic Management What is strategic management. In this study we will view what a manager’s role is and the development of strategic management has an affect on their companies performance. We will examine strategic management, what the benefits and problems are when utilizing strategic management, and how to implement strategic management in the company. Strategic management is a process to enhance the goals of your business. This gives managers a strategic awareness and value of the company when strategic management is implemented.... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Planning]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- This blog describes about the strategic management planning along with different firms in order to have maximum outcomes to choose a valid and effective strategic plan to be implemented. The Strategy formulation is key to the prosperity of an organization or association. There are two noteworthy by process used by an organization or an effort parts of technique: 1. The Corporate system, in which organizations choose which line or lines of business to participate in. 2. The business or focused methodology, which sets the structure for making progress in a specific business.... [tags: Strategic planning, Strategic management]
1604 words (4.6 pages)
- The central theme of the article “What is Strategic Management?” is the meaning of strategic management and understanding of its aspects. The complex nature of strategic management initiates difficulties in defining the term. Therefore, the article is attempting to respond to considerations involved in the definition of strategic management. The case discussion led to provide a justified solution of the problem. A strategy has been defined as an organizing process that encompasses not only the formulation but also the implementation of the main organizational activities.... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Organization]
892 words (2.5 pages)
- Strategic management principles are vital in setting guidelines and regulations that help a company relate with its employees and a company’s interaction in the corporate world. Strategic management principles help ensure that a firm sticks to its objectives, conformity to the environment and that the firm maximally makes good use of the market. This research paper shows how Pike River Coal Mine went against the strategic management principles and resulted loss of lives and destruction of lots of property.... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Coal]
2012 words (5.7 pages)
- Dynamic capabilities allude to the specific limit business undertakings have to pattern, reship, arrange, and recompose resources in order to react to growing technologies and markets and breakout the zero-benefit case (Teece, 1977). Dynamic capacities identify with the undertaking 's capacity to detect, seize, and adjust keeping in mind the end goal to produce and adventure internal and external venture particular skills, and to address the endeavor 's changing environment. (Barney, 1991) On the off chance that a venture has resources/competences however needs dynamic capabilities, in fact it has an opportunity to create a com-putative return for a brief period, yet predominant returns can... [tags: Management, Strategic management]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Strategic management process is neither a clean nor a linear, but a systematic process that requires hardworking and commitment in an organization. Most people in an organization should involve in the process to move it towards the strategic goal. Thus, strategic management identify and make the necessary changes and measures the organization’s performance while it moves towards its vision. Prior to strategic planning, pre-planning activities should be applied, including the close attention to the stakeholders’ needs and the support it requires while deciding to implement strategic planning.... [tags: Strategic management, Strategic planning]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- What does it take to keep a company moving forward at a steady pace, in a forward direction and being successful at every twist or turn. Strategic planning will help any organization achieve their goals and also planning strategically will help them achieve them at a faster rate. A strategic plan according to the book Strategic Management by Ryszard Barnat states that it provides direction for an organization’s mission, objectives, and strategies. It defines the action steps by which a company intends to attain strategic goals, which also includes decisions that can greatly change the character or direction of the organization.... [tags: Strategic planning, Management, Strategy]
949 words (2.7 pages)