Acupuncture is an essential part of traditional Chinese medicine, its usually used as an alternative treatment in the international medical field. Long, thin spines are put in the surface of skin on specific points to make the Qi flow free. It is organized to be a diagnosis and treatment in The Yellow Emperor 's Classic of Internal Medicine from 100 BC. In the twentieth century, it began to spread in European and gradually used by patients when western medical treatments do not work. Some people believe that the acupuncture is effective for curing pain. According to balanced yin yang and promoted blood recycling. However, some other people have a different argument that acupuncture is a pseudoscience. It is due to that there is not enough evidence to confirm it due to most acupuncture plays the placebo effect in treatment. Mental power also plays an irreplaceable role in the results, since people are appealing to believe that the existence of acupoints, Qi and meridian. Now, whether acupuncture is pseudoscience or not has become a debatable argument.
People believe that acupuncture plays an irreplaceable role in alternatives. James Reston, a famous reporter from New York, travelled to china and got his appendix removed in China. He felt uncomfortable after the surgery (Ingraham 2016). The doctor encouraged acupuncture and it turned out his discomfort relived tremendously. it’s the start for the popularity of acupuncture in America. Around 26% of retired soldiers suffer from chronic pain, and it costs 560 billion for taxers’ money. In order to relief pain and decrease money cost, acupuncture is used by American army. More than 83.7% soldiers report that their chronic pain c...
... middle of paper ...
...if they knew there is no decent and supporting evidence. Human nature has it that they have the tendency to be fooled by coincidental correlation that can be misleading and surprisingly strong. Acupuncturists tend to use the technique of acupuncture to claim that they can cure a wide range of disease because they think most of the disease comes form the imbalance of energy. However, they fail to realize that they overgeneralize the causes of the disease, which can be very dangerous since patients would not seek the scientific way of curing the disease; instead, they will rely on acupuncture until they realize it is too late to be cured.
In conclusion, acupuncture might not be harmful, however, the absence of supporting evidence itself and the fallacies acupuncture fall for prove that acupuncture is pseudoscience and it could lead to potential problems of patients.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Acupuncture A Chinese medical technique; acupuncture is a medicine originating in the orient over four-thousand years ago. Used primarily for pain relief, but also in curing disease and general health improvement. Oriental Medicine views (illness and pain) as an imbalance of one's energy. With Acupuncture the energetic balance can be restored, thus helping the body to rid itself of disease. Often illnesses can be diagnosed and treated at an early stage. Acupuncture consists of inserting hair thin needles through specific spots in the skin called acupuncture points.... [tags: essays research papers]
941 words (2.7 pages)
- Acupuncture: Chinese Medicine As with all things we know little about there is quite a bit of mystery surrounding acupuncture. The part people see the most is a person with needles sticking out of their flesh. Understandably being wary of sharp pointed objects being wielded by a complete stranger, this is often an obstacle that needs to be over come. The best way to do this is by becoming educated about how acupuncture is performed, where it came from, what it does, some of the benefits vs. the problems, and the different views about it.... [tags: essays research papers]
1800 words (5.1 pages)
- Alternative medicine is more effective than western medicine Today, most people who visit a doctor 's office don 't give any thought to the type of doctor that they 're going to see. The traditionally trained doctors in the world. Is trained one way, whereas holistic doctors, also known as natural medicine practitioners, are trained in a completely different way. Many of us trust our doctors implicitly, so when we prescribe a pharmaceutical, we simply fill the prescription and take it as we are told.... [tags: Alternative medicine, Medicine, Physician]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Alternative medication is more effective than western. Today, most people who travel to a doctor 's office don 't give any idea to the type of doctor that they 're starting to find out. The traditionally trained physicians in the globe. Are trained in one way, whereas holistic doctors, also known as natural medicine practitioners, are trained in a completely different way. Many of us believe our doctors implicitly, and then when we prescribe a pharmaceutical, we merely fill the prescription and get hold of it as we are ordered.... [tags: Alternative medicine, Medicine, Physician]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Pain and Acupuncture in Eastern and Western Medicine Acupuncture is an ancient medicinal art that has been practiced for thousands of years. Acupuncture today is mainly seen by Western medicine as a "new alternative" medicine (2). This basically means that while Western medicine acknowledges the value and positive medical research supporting acupuncture in many realms of medicine, for the most part it is not a practice that has been incorporated into 'modern' medical practices. One of the most consistently supported uses of acupuncture therapy is in pain treatment (14).... [tags: Acupuncture for Chronic Pain]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- Medical professionals use various practices to help provide relief for their clients. Physiotherapy and Acupuncture are quite commonly believed to be both appropriate forms of effective medical practices. Physiotherapy is considered a western scientific medicine that uses different methods to relieve pain (Physio Tauranga, n.d.). Whereas, traditional acupuncture uses needles to pin point the certain areas of the body. While these medicines use different techniques, have different side effects, and have different financial costs both of these recommended medicines provide similar results, however physiotherapy is more efficient.... [tags: Pain, Medicine, Massage, Acupuncture, Suffering]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- Acupuncture and Nursing The roots of the practice of acupuncture can be traced back to about 2000 years in Chinese medicine where it was used as a major traditional healing method (Cherry & Jacob, 2017). It is classified as an alternative medical system that involves the use of imperceptible networks/channels all through the body. Along with acupuncture, other forms of alternative medical systems include Ayurveda, homeopathy, naturopathy, and traditional Chinese medicine. These networks are referred to as meridians, by which energy streams through the body (Cherry & Jacob, 2017).... [tags: Alternative medicine, Acupuncture, Pain]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- Acupuncture is a realm of veterinary medicine that has been around since 900 B.C., originating from China (Robinson, 2007, p. 259). Acupuncture is a way to relieve pain by inserting very small, thin needles into acupoints to promote healing and well-being through neurological energy. The use of acupuncture is a type of treatment that many do not understand or have much information about. It can be used for animals and humans to relieve pain and help aid healing of diseases or infections. Acupuncture is beneficial to animals, especially equine.... [tags: Acupuncture, Pain, Acupuncture point, Dry needling]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- The Power of Acupuncture Businesses today are looking at ways to help reduce stress, as well as, improve overall health in the workplace and at home. Employers are finding employees more stressed out and overworked like never before, leading to more sick days taken and less productivity. Some stress-reducing strategies range from massage to meditation to yoga that works well, but one of the best is something that is very old, acupuncture. Acupuncture has been around for centuries and is garnering more support, not just in physical therapy centers, but medical clinics in recent years (Mukherjee, 2016).... [tags: Acupuncture, Nervous system, Pain]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- What is Acupuncture. Acupuncture is an ancient art of healing that dates back to at least 2,500 years. It has been widely practiced in China and many other Asian countries. Only recently has acupuncture made its way into the western world. Acupuncture accentuates on the natural healing of the body. It involves stimulating acupuncture points by the insertion of very fine, solid, metallic needles. Acupuncture is gaining popularity as numerous claims are being made to its validity and effectiveness.... [tags: Health Treatment Papers]
3389 words (9.7 pages)