Before start the discussion of how IT behave in small business, let us look at the definition of IT. IT ,short for "information technology", is a term that includes all forms of technology used to create, store, exchange, and use information in its various forms such as business data, voice conversations, still images, motion pictures, multimedia presentations, and other forms, including those not yet conceived. It's a convenient term for including both telephony and computer technology in the same word (Applegate). Technology, as the most powerful tool recently, driving "the information revolution." in the world.
The Internet, which is an important part of the information technology, can be dated to July 1961, when Leonard Kleinrock at MIT published the first paper on packet switching theory, and the first book on the subject in 1964. In late 1966 Roberts went to DARPA to develop the computer network concept and quickly put together his plan for the "ARPANET", publishing it in 1967. Then the APRANET grow to the Internet (Opfer). Now Internet are most used in communication, research, education, and financial transactions.
Information technology appeared in several subjects, such as science, architecture, security, and so on. Information technology can help solve complex problems is computing for business, medicine, science, and other fields. Information technology also offers more jobs to people. The computer support specialists is a job that provide help and advice to people and organizations using computer software or equipment. Database administrators use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information and customer shipping records. Software developers are the creative minds behind computer pr...
... middle of paper ...
...tory of the Internet According to Itself: A Synthesis of Online Internet Histories Available at the Turn of the Century." The History of the Internet According to Itself: A Synthesis of Online Internet Histories Available at the Turn of the Century. N.p., 1999. Web. 02 May 2014.
Reduce Costs with Information Technology for a Modern Age - ArcNews Spring 2009 Issue." Reduce Costs with Information Technology for a Modern Age - ArcNews Spring 2009 Issue. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2014.
Shanker, Sheila. "How Is Information Technology Used in Accounting?" Small Business. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2014.
Traub, Todd. "Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader."Arkansas Business. N.p., 2 July 2012. Web. 02 May 2014.
Turner, C. (1997). SMEs and the evolution of the European information society: Policy themes and initiative. European Business Journal, 9(4), 47-52.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Case Summary My overview of Sew What. Inc.: The Role of information Technology in Small Business Success case is about an entrepreneur by the name of Megan Duckett. In 1992 she opened her cutting, sewing, and Fabric Company. The company centrally located in her kitchen, which expanded to her garage. Although she was a small part of the business sector her motto was developed based on customer satisfaction. The Fabric Companies motto was to face adversity with a head-on approach. Therefore, if any obstacles were to arise the companies objectives are to eliminate the problem as soon as appear.... [tags: Customer service, Customer, Information technology]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Operating any business without the application of information technology in the modern business world is actually impossible. The world has gone digital and in every sector of economy, entrepreneurs are busy applying information technology systems to run their businesses smoothly. Nevertheless, the invention of information technology and its entrance into business arena has seen, customers demand better services whenever they do business or receive services. From banking to financial markets, stock exchange to retail markets, businesspersons use information technology principles to attract, serve and retain customers.... [tags: Information Technology ]
1539 words (4.4 pages)
- As a small business owner you 're likely the one that makes all major decisions about your organization. You 've carefully vetted employees to make sure they share your company vision and invested your financial resources wisely to make sure you have an awesome website with engaging content that resonates with your target audience. Perhaps you 've even studied the new Google search ranking algorithm to make sure your business is always near the top spot on first page results with local-specific and organic search queries.... [tags: Management, Small business, Risk, Business]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- Small Business Marketing is from Mars. Small Business Customers Are from Venus. Sometimes small business owners are the last people to pick up on changes in consumer buying behavior, until it impacts their bottom line. In small businesses it can be harder to discern these changes than larger businesses, but there are plenty of signs for anyone who wants to look for them. Salespeople once owned and controlled most of the information about their company. If you wanted to learn about their products, you had to talk to a salesperson.... [tags: Marketing, Small business, Business, Sales]
2129 words (6.1 pages)
- The aim of the proposal is to come up with ways and means of improving business operations of a small high quality restaurant which is using very basic computer facilities through introduction of a more convenient way of doing business and attracting more customers through the introduction of the modern high level technologies. The world is developing at an alarming rate and at the same time the technology is continuing to advance day in day out. Though this restaurant may look small, there is a need to equip it with the current technology so that more customers can be attracted and therefore the returns will increase.... [tags: Information Technology]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Due to dramatic changes in organisational management, technology plays an important role in today business environment. According to Groomer & Murthy (1989) incorporation of information technology solutions are becoming increasingly important for all businesses in order to operate successfully. One way that many businesses have implemented information technology on a large scale (Groomer & Murthy, 1989) is by setting up Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems to achieve their business transaction and data processing needs.... [tags: information technology,resour planning, erp]
1942 words (5.5 pages)
- Symantec’s recent State of the Information survey – conducted over 38 countries worldwide – found that subject matter experts expected their data storage needs to increase by 178% over the next year (Kilpatrick, 11). This is a truly astounding number that has already been realized. Data storage needs continue to expand yearly at similar levels. How will small business keep up financially with a burgeoning infrastructure. What about paying the cost required to ensure security, both in terms of specialized equipment and qualified personnel to operate it.... [tags: technology, symantec]
1387 words (4 pages)
- When you think of Marketing and Technology, how would you correlate the two. Well Marketer's uses certain types of technology to improve an organization or business. One of the purposes of incorporating certain types of technologies when dealing with marketing is to: improve customer acquisition and retention, design loyalty programs, and initiate cross-selling and up-selling. Most organizations have a database that includes current and prospective customers. If they don't and outside company is hired to develop one as well as manage it.... [tags: Business Information Technology]
805 words (2.3 pages)
- The deployment of wireless technology has taken by both of the Giant company, FedEx and UPS in order to keep the company competitive advantage. The Bluetooth short – range wireless specification, 802.11b wireless LANs, and general packet radio service (GPRS) are the wireless solution for both big companies. These lead to the operational efficiency, saving cost – the critical business requirement, and increasing customer satisfaction while also doing more with the same resources. The devotement of $100 million had been done by these two firms to wireless initiatives.... [tags: Business Technology]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- The management consulting industry deals in three different areas; risk management, consulting, and information management. In risk management, companies “seek greater protection against unexpected losses , whether from natural disaster, lawsuits, political events, and internet scandals.”1 Information management refers to the internet and how businesses organize and control the information flowing in and out of them2. Consulting combines the two, where businesses employ advisors to help them manage risks and their information to further profit and prevent loss within the company.... [tags: Information Technology ]
1371 words (3.9 pages)