As firearm technology evolves, weapons become more efficient. These improvements come from the increasing ammo capacity, rate of fire, accuracy, and overall user friendliness. According to everytownresearch.org, roughly 91 Americans are killed each day as a result of gun violence. Currently, the murder rate of the U.S. is 25 times more than the average of other countries. The United States has also endured various mass shootings. Incidents such as the Columbine High School massacre and the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have inspired the awareness of gun control. Although the government has been debating ways to reduce this violence, no major reforms have been developed. In response to these rates, President Obama delivered the “Address Detailing Steps to Reduce Gun Violence” and presented some ways that America can lower these rates. President Obama was able to convince most of the nation, excluding conservative sceptics , to consider his plan to reduce violence through his use of pathos and logos.
“Address Detailing Steps to Reduce Gun Violence” was given by President Barack Obama on January 5, 2016 at 11:43 a.m. in the White House East Room. President Obama delivered this speech in response to recent mass shootings as well as the gun violence that is scattered throughout our country. “Every single year, more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns” claimed President Obama. This speech was meant to be a call to action concerning gun violence. Since Congress had not taken any action on the subject, Obama introduced a new plan that he and other officials had constructed for months. He also explains the difficulty of developing legislature since it is rarely approved by Congress. His plans also receive ...
... middle of paper ...
...reedom of firearms aids in the prevention of tragedy, the fact obviously poses a different perspective. Gun control can significantly reduce the murder rate using firearms.
President Obama’s speech proposed many controversial points, such as tightening up the background check policies and putting more restrictions on what guns could be purchased. It received many mixed views from each side of the political spectrum in the United States. The controversial topics like Sandy Hook and Zaevion Dobson’s tragic story appeal to many people’s emotions, possibly leading to more people supporting the President’s ideas. His effective usage of the rhetorical devices helped him better assure that his idea was understood by everyone. Although his idea was not accepted among the conservatives, Obama reinforced his ideas properly by tapping into his audience 's emotion and logic.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Do you believe in God?” (Johnson, 2012), That is what Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold asked students before shooting them mercilessly in 1999 in one of the worst school shootings America has ever seen. America has seen this in many occasions, a number of school shootings accomplished by juveniles. In the last 3 decades, three of them stand out from the others; Columbine High School massacre, Virginia Tech Shooting and Sandy Hook Elementary massacre. On April 20th, 1999, two seniors that attended Columbine High School in Colorado entered the campus with a number of weapons including two 9mm pistols, 2 12 gauge sawed-off shotguns and a number of explosive devices.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1414 words (4 pages)
- Together, the Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook school shootings resulted in seventy-seven deaths. Gun related school violence continues to occur and has become more frequent in the recent years. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed one teacher and twelve students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado on April 20th, 1999. In the shooting, they injured twenty other students before they turned their guns on themselves. Columbine, one of the first school shootings, caused a progression of gun-related violence in schools.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- America, standing in fear, waiting for another mass shooting to break out in front of their eyes. More than 3,000 American Citizens die from gun violence each year (USA Gun Violence Stat.). Sadly, a fraction of the lives lost are mostly due to school shootings. This year alone, 52 school shootings have occurred, leaving 30 dead and 53 injured (52 School Shootings). From the mass murder of Columbine High School and Virginia Tech University to the well known Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, it becomes clear how ordinary people turn into brutal killers.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- ... With the combination of college and homeschooling by his mother, Nancy Lanza, Adam earned a GED. Throughout school, Lanza was known for his intelligence, but he seemed nervous to many. Teachers and other students took notice to the amount of friends he had. Lanza had no true friends throughout most of his life. Which lead to him being a homebody and resorting to other hobbies to get him by. Such as, spending time with his mother who was a gun enthusiast and took her sons shooting at ranges quite frequently.... [tags: school shootings]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- ... As a result of his untreated mental issues, Lanza opened fire at the school his mother taught kindergarten at. "It has been found that two thirds of school shooters obtained their firearms from their own home, or the home of a relative," just like Lanza did (Towers et al. 1). The guns he used were a Bushmaster XM-15 rifle and a .22-caliber Savage Mark rifle that were registered under his mothers name. Lanza took the lives of little girls and boys who had their whole life ahead of them. Although the reason behind Lanza 's actions still remain a mystery, the inaccessibility of a gun would have saved the lives of twenty eight innocent people.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- After the massacre of the Sandy Hook Elementary school, in 2012, a great deal of security measures were taken in American schools and shooting incidents became a disturbing idea for students. Shooting incidents registered in January 2014 reached 11 in the American schools, while classrooms and campuses lockdowns occur more frequently. It became a daily habit that alerts occur in the different educational institutions. Mayors Agains Illegal Guns, an organization concerned with gun control advocacy, indicates that shooting incidents registered in 2013 reached 28 in American schools and collages (TheGuardian, 2014).... [tags: shopping mall, gun control advocacy]
1985 words (5.7 pages)
- ... Whether it is right or wrong, sentimentality fades while factual reports of logistical operations last forever. Kenneth Trump, president of National School Safety Security Services, was the perfect example of a public safety professional whose job was to objectively review the massacre in order to better prepare America’s schools for preventing and responding to future violence. He provided his analysis of Sandy Hook’s safety measures for The Christian Science Monitor, “There were a number of things that were best practice….Sadly, they did not result in the desired outcome, but we have to ask…Could the situation have been even worse?” (Paulson).... [tags: High school, Middle school, Church of Christ]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- People today are thinking seriously about arming themselves. It wasn’t always that way. The chain of events that have been happening in rapid succession around the world and coupled with instantaneous multi media coverage makes it feel up close and personal. People are questioning whether the government and local law enforcement can protect them. We look to the government to provide intelligence on terror cells. Law enforcements have been reacting to terror in the United States. It’s their duty.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- Guns often have a huge misconception when viewed by the general public. Big, loud, and unnecessary are often thoughts that go through peoples heads as they think of guns. The idea for this paper is to attempt to change what perception about guns that the reader might have. Whether it leads to the reader liking guns, disliking guns, or even just being indifferent about how guns are used. Americans need to understand that guns do not kill people, people kill people; examples of this are found in the Aurora Movie Theatre massacre, the Sandy Hook shooting, and San Bernardino shooting.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Handgun, Weapon]
1239 words (3.5 pages)
- School shootings are the leading death by a fire arm in the United States. What motivates these people to want to kill others. Acts of violence at schools is not a new thing. School shootings date back to the 18th century. However, school shootings are growing more common in this day in age. What motivates these people to want to kill others. With social networks more and more people are being bullied, which results in more kids snapping and shooting up their school. Bullying isn’t the only reason for school shooting, now smart kids are snapping under the pressure of unrealistic standards set for them by their honors teachers.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
2035 words (5.8 pages)