During the first two years of my undergraduate studies, I have devoted to building a solid background in mathematics and physics. I constantly find pleasure in deriving mathematical formulas to experience in my mind the process of turning the physical mechanisms into something of such succinct beauty. And the School of Atmospheric Science at Nanjing University, the top school for this major in China has provided me with a rich environment to excel beyond the curriculum, debating and discussing questions with my professors. My curious and analytical attitude has made me a top student among my peers.
Apart from the background training, the excitement of overcoming challenges independently has also fueled the ...
... middle of paper ...
...nd physics, as well as improving my analytical and programming skills before engaging in research will make this a more worthwhile experience.
With solid background training, active practice and enthusiasm for atmospheric sciences, I am now ready to embark upon my graduate journey. I am particularly drawn to the Ph.D. program of the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, UCLA because of its special strength in theories of dynamics and simulation of the climate. And the innovative research topics, especially Dr. Hall’s research on climate feedbacks and regional climate dynamics, and Dr. Neelin’s application of hierarchical climate modeling, are really tempting. It is irresistible for me to continue my involvement in innovative research in atmospheric sciences, and I wish to begin focused research projects at graduate level as a further step toward my dream.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am applying to the department of chemistry and environmental and Resource Science Program,Trent University because your program allows me to get outstanding training in environmental science (interdisciplinary research), as well as interacting with your graduate students, faculty and other collaborators in those fields to enhance my knowledge. My backgrounds have prepared me well to take both graduate level research in biogeochemistry/chemistry and participate in a challenging interdisciplinary program at your university.... [tags: Environment, Natural environment]
717 words (2 pages)
- Statement of Purpose "Arcs and Sparks!" was my understanding of welding at the beginning. Surprisingly, now I am applying the graduate studies for welding engineering which is the most fascinating area in engineering in my heart. What happened in the past three years. I have been on my own way to explore the world of materials science and engineering since the childhood. I grew up besides the SJ Petroleum Machinery Co., influenced by many engineers, I had a natural interest in such activities as hands-on practice, solving problems and making small objects gradually.... [tags: science, engineers, activities, practice]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela By using this powerful weapon I urge to achieve and prove myself among the greats in the history of science and engineering in particular and aspire to precipitate concord for the amelioration of the world. The analytical ability to approach a problem with the right blending of logic and reasoning has supported me in inching towards my goal.... [tags: education, science, learning studies]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- One can always rely on studies of matter at the atomic scale to discover unique and unusual things. Given the way materials act under certain conditions, many times it seems one of these characteristics brings about the other, without explanation. It is this volatility and excitement that has solidified my continuous passion within this field and in my life’s endeavors. It is the curiosity of the unexpected, the search for a greater understanding of our world at the atomic scale, and in a dynamic environment, that brings me to pursue graduate studies in the USA.... [tags: Statment of Purpose]
1036 words (3 pages)
- Statement of Purpose In this era of information technology I feel a sense of pride in being so closely associated with the field of computer science. The desire to forge ahead in this field by doing cutting-edge research has motivated me to pursue graduate studies. In my childhood, I was very inquisitive and used to wonder how different machines and instruments work. Right from the age of 13, I was given the opportunity to gain acquaintance with Computers. I had learned BASICS, MS-DOS along with the subjects in my school curriculum.... [tags: research, technology, company, school]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- ... It is at this stage he taught us evolutionary algorithms like Genetic Algorithm and its variants, Particle Swarm Optimization, Differential Evolution, Ant Colony Optimization and Bacterial Foraging Optimization apart from the normal course curriculum and then left us with the task of working on them. For the first time after getting into the college, I felt very excited when I applied all of these techniques to Linear System Identification in signal processing and got excellent results. It gave me a chance to envision the amount of possible problems that can be tackled with such heuristic algorithms.... [tags: math, programming, interest]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- ... Though it was built for fun, I also used to compete among my friends. The planes flying for more distance or staying longer in air were declared as the winners in those competitions. To win in the competition, we used to build planes of various designs and tweak them to fly for longer distance or to stay more time in air. Though it was done unknowingly, today I can relate them with respect to endurance, fuel efficiency and design of a modern aircraft, which plays a crucial role in designing the aircraft.... [tags: aircraft, design, data, strees, analysis]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- When looking at the atmospheric residence time of GHGs in the IPCC Assessment Report (1996), we can find an interesting point--the lifetime of carbon dioxide is ‘‘variable’’, which can be as long as a century time-scale. Because of this feature, even if human beings stop emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere from now on, it will still take a long time for the earth to remove the extra carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, so the atmospheric temperature will keep going up for a long time. Therefore, the residence time of carbon dioxide is broadly used in analysing the future warming risks.... [tags: Carbon dioxide, Greenhouse gas, Global warming]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Five Careers for a Graduate of Agricultural Studies I. Introduction Agriculture is a vast and expanding world for many people here in the mid-west. This is not a career to be taken lightly, since it has it's ever-changing highs and lows; which attract people and also discourage them too. Deciding what a graduate wants to do in agriculture is a difficult process, I know since I am in the process right now. Some of the following careers are ones that I am more familiar with since I have been around most of them.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- The Long Road to Graduate School In his poem, The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost wrote, "Two roads diverge in the woods, and I took the one least traveled by/ And that has made all the difference." In this poem, the narrator had a choice of two roads. However, I've discovered that life is a little more complicated. Sometimes the path we embark on is not always the one we choose. Sometimes we are pushed or pulled in certain directions and we have to react to our environment. My path to a college education has been filled with bumps, potholes, detours and roadblocks.... [tags: Graduate Admissions Essays]
410 words (1.2 pages)